Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
What do you consider Trend Whore? Why is it so bad? Do you go with he trend? Do the trends take any skill?

Debate!
k

Spektral

Spektral Avatar

July 2009
Some trends take skill.
I think following a unique trend is great when it is accomplished well.

But, take the whole Insignia revolution for on/offs on forums. When G101 did it, it was awesome. Then Crestfallen released a tutorial for them and all of a sudden all the nooby forums followed suit. Fail.

Only the pros get to trendwhore and get away with it. It's basically the idea that after you prove yourself, you can do whatever you want. Kind of like authors of books. They don't typically have to follow the rules of grammar, even the best ones out there.

Anyone remember the pixel-stretch whore? For signatures? Sniper introduced it an all of a sudden everybody and their mothers had a pixel-stretched sig.

They all sucked except for people who had skills beyond looking at a tutorial and adding terrible, one-dimension text to it.

ishmael

ishmael Avatar

Official Member

Male

February 2009
What do I consider Trend Whore? It's both a person and a style. A trend whore is a designer who scouts design forums, such as tagmonkey, national sig league, and others to find what designers are calling *hawt* or *amazing*, and then breaks the tag apart, and tryies to recreate it. Usually after a tutorial has come out on how to create the effect. These conformists are trend whores. The style of such tags/images is trendwhore.

It isn't necessarily bad, but it isn't good. The trendwhore style was created out of laziness, basically. People want other people to think their designs are *cool* or *sweet*, so they find a bad tutorial on how to create a dime a dozen image that looks half decent. What designers don't realise is that they have so much more potential. Without the trendwhore style, people would be forced to create their own unique perspective on designing, creating much deeper, meaninful, and coincedentally *better* designs.

I, personally, try to stray from it. Of course, I wouldn't know what the current trend is, because I don't scout forums, or honestly care if people like my artwork, so there is no need for me to try to design in that style. One day I might work with the idea behind the trend, because believe or not, that particular trend was unique before it was whored, so there might be something innovative to recover from the carnage.

Of course it takes skill to follow, or create a trend. You must have design skill to create something that hundreds of others follow, and you cannot be a complete photoshop illiterate to create a trend whored image. One cannot say that people who follow trends are bad graphic designers, because that is simply not true. One can say, however, that people who follow trends should be more inclined to use their designing prowess creating something new.

What, you wanted to check out a shweet tutorial?

newBookmarkLockedFalling