Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
So, I've been debating over this recently, and I'd like the community's opinion on whether or not we should reorganize the board layout here on SZ. Some boards just don't get any activity, and by merging some, we'll create a cleaner (and smaller) homepage. Here are some of my current ideas:

Dev Blog becomes sub-board of Notices
Since SZv3 development is on hold because of PBv5, it's not necessarily worth having it as a primary board. We only moved it out from under Notices because of v3's development.

Feedback and Suggestions to sub-board of Notices
They're kinda related and I don't really see a reason that F&S needs to be a main-page board. People don't come to SZ to see that and it doesn't attract members per se, thus it doesn't need to be overly prominent. It'd still be easy to find.

Merging Articles and the Lit Corner OR removing the Lit Corner
This is something that needs to happen either way. The activity in the Lit Corner is obviously very lacking and either needs to improve or be scrapped. Sadly, I don't think improving it is an option. The Articles board is also currently lacking in activity and we need to find something to do with that.

GreaseMonkey Scripts to sub-board of Code Storage or Coders' Hangout
They really don't need to be a main-page board. They might as well be under the Code Storage or Coders' Hangout. Frankly, I think Code Storage is the better parent though.

Support Center and Code Requests
Half the time people post in the wrong board. There really isn't a reason these shouldn't be the same board. I'd still keep the "completed" requests board so that things can be filed away upon completion.

GraFX Tutorials under FX Exchange
This structure would match the coding layout where Coding Tutorials are under Coders' Hangout. I don't see any reason they shouldn't be paralleled for logical consistency.

Remove Skin Requests
I do need to talk to Ben, but I don't think Skin Requests is really working out, is it? :P

So, those are my ideas. Any comments/other suggestions would be appreciated. Overall, this list gives 3 boards per category, which greatly decreases the crowding on the main page.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Yes to everything except merging support with requests. I just don't like that idea at all.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Lucifer Avatar
Yes to everything except merging support with requests. I just don't like that idea at all.

And why not? :P

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Chris Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

I just don't understand why you would. They're two distinct categories.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Lucifer Avatar
Chris Avatar

I just don't understand why you would. They're two distinct categories.

Because they end up overlapping so much. Half the time you ask for support on your code request or people post requests inside support in the form of "How do I do this?"

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
So, if no one else has opinions, I'll start implementing these tomorrow. Even a "Sounds good" would be nice. :P

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Sounds good.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I already had your opinion, besides a reply to the Support/Request merger comment. :P

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
I say just do it, and change what people bitch about.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Sounds good.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Touche, Jim, touche. :P

Edit: I've implemented about half the changes. Lit Corner is waiting on me to figure out what to do about the achievement associated with it.

Last Edit: Jul 3, 2011 6:53:00 GMT by Chris

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Chris Avatar
Touche, Jim, touche. :P

Edit: I've implemented about half the changes. Lit Corner is waiting on me to figure out what to do about the achievement associated with it.

Everybody gets it! \o/

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Or I just make a new achievement to replace it with and that gets grand-fathered in. :P Only like 3 people have it, tops.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Eh, I don't like it. I changed my mind. Put it back how it was, Chris.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
You're just trying to bitch to annoy me. :P

newBookmarkLockedFalling