Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Probably one of the biggest debates in technological history, so we might as well do it. :P

Do you prefer Windows or Mac? :P Give reasons why. :P
k

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Didn't we just have this debate? I remember posting like a 8000 character reply about it and then Chris telling someone to just read my post as I had negated every single thing against OS X. :P

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Actaully it was just a topic that happened to contain a small debate. :P
k

Grace Elaine [Epic Century]

Grace Elaine [Epic Century] Avatar
It's easy to see with out Looking too far that not much is really sacred

February 2008
In my own experience, both are fine, but I also like linux.

Example: My macbook pro has Mac OS X 10.4 installed on it, but I've also got Windows XP Pro installed on it, along with Ubuntu linux.

What I like about mac: It's the first operating system I ever used. I'm extremely used to it, and I can't function the same on windows because of that. the buttons are on the wrong side for me (Can't function with buttons on the right, primarily because I'm left handed with a computer mouse). I also like that a few of the companies I work for will pay for any software you like if you use a mac.

What I don't like about mac: Not all hardware is supported. I can't go out and buy ram from just any where if I want to bump it up in my G5 Quad. I have to go some where such as tiger direct and buy apple specific memory. Piss on that, I should be able to go anywhere and buy that ram, and if I want to use it in one of my windows or linux boxes I should.

What I like about windows: I can use almost any hardware I want, most of the time, I can run more software on it then I can on mac os. If I want to play games, I don't have to piss around with anything. Easy networking. this is one of my biggest things as I work in an IT department. I shouldn't have to piss around with things to get it to work. Plug in, tell it what files to share, go.

What I don't like about windows: Poor ability to do a safe data recovery. Problems with stupid warning messages. yesterday, my computer yelled at me because I unplugged a fan from the motherboard. It told me to click the bubble to fix the problem. The entire time I was thinking "Buddy if the fan is unplugged from the god damn board clicking your bubble isn't going to do shit". Also, there are as with any operating system, security problems. Windows also generally comes loaded with shit that I will never use. This includes pro.

What I like about linux: It will run on anything. It will take almost any hardware on a fresh install with no complaints. Open Source, I can do what ever I want to it and not have to worry about a fine or jail time. Super fast, super secure, super stable. I've never had a linux computer crash on me, but I've had windows and mac computers crash on me. I can dual boot it on my computers, and I don't have to pick between one or the other.

What I don't like: Nvidia still doesn't let anyone use their drivers openly. It's hard to say whether or not your video card will work with it or not if it's made by NVidia. Not supported by most major software builders yet. I hope for that day that I can install Adobe Photoshop with out using WINE.

All in all, I don't care what I use. But I do tend to buy a lot more apple computers then windows computers. Most of my windows computers I'll figure out a way to get for free or well below cost.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Um, you have it backwards. You can run any Windows software on Linux and OS X. You, however, cannot run any OS X software on Windows.

stoner
I like both Mac and Windows. I have two computers that I use with one being Windows and the other being Mac. I would go with both because their different in their own way!

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I don't have enough experience with anything other than Windows to debate, but I've used both a Mac and a Linux, even if for a short while. I personally prefer Windows, if only because I'm far more used to them. I do hope to get a Mac in the future and possible then attempt to install Linux... but for now, I'm fine with my Windows XP. :P

Grace Elaine [Epic Century]

It's easy to see with out Looking too far that not much is really sacred

February 2008
Josh Avatar
Um, you have it backwards. You can run any Windows software on Linux and OS X. You, however, cannot run any OS X software on Windows.

I never had it backwards. What I said was that I can run windows programs on linux or mac. The problem is, that WINE doesn't allow all programs to run, and for that, it just makes what said wrong in a sense.

And I never said you could run Mac OS X software on a windows computer.

tcm

tcm Avatar

Studio Member

January 2008
Chris Avatar
I don't have enough experience with anything other than Windows to debate, but I've used both a Mac and a Linux, even if for a short while. I personally prefer Windows, if only because I'm far more used to them. I do hope to get a Mac in the future and possible then attempt to install Linux... but for now, I'm fine with my Windows XP. :P

Same situation I'm in, although I would like to try Mac and Linux more in the future, I'm stuck with my XP, well atm Vista, but I'll be downgrading soon. I don't have any insentive to switch over either, other than being attracted to the Apple feel I get from people's i-pods and such. I've tried Mac's and have liked them, I just have more experiance with XP and don't have the money or the need to switch.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Josh Avatar

I never had it backwards. What I said was that I can run windows programs on linux or mac. The problem is, that WINE doesn't allow all programs to run, and for that, it just makes what said wrong in a sense.

And I never said you could run Mac OS X software on a windows computer.

That's my bad. I misread what you said.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
I much prefer Windows to Mac or Linux, personally. Simply because I've used it more.

Linux works fine, but I just don't prefer it.

I've never used a Mac, but they're not too terrible. No where near as secure as people are lead to believe, though.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Jim Avatar
I much prefer Windows to Mac or Linux, personally. Simply because I've used it more.

I've never used a Mac, but they're not too terrible. No where near as secure as people are lead to believe, though.

You're right. We still don't get viruses/spyware/adware/trojans, though. There was a trojan scare two weeks ago but Apple released 10.5.4 in less than a week that plugged the hole.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Josh Avatar
Jim Avatar

You're right. We still don't get viruses/spyware/adware/trojans, though. There was a trojan scare two weeks ago but Apple released 10.5.4 in less than a week that plugged the hole.

=o Amazing. A virus for the mac! I'll admit, it's good that they're prompt. Windows never seems to release anything to fix viruses... just remote exploits.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Josh Avatar
Jim Avatar

People who right these sorts of programs do so in a way that it'll target the largest possibly market, which is Internet Explorer users on Windows based machines.

That's the only reason Fx, Opera, and Safari don't have all the issues like what IE has, and also the reason why Linux and Mac (any version) don't run into the issues Windows users do... they don't have a large enough chunk of the market, so no one wants to 'waste their time' going after the "little guys".

If you have common sense and either scan everything before opening it or just don't open what you don't know, it's pretty easy to stay clean of viruses and all that shit :P. The only virus I've ever had an issue with was Vundo. That motherfucker took me about a month and a half to get rid of.

Microsoft can't really keep up with the demand for updates to fix Windows, and when users blindly accept things allowing viruses and malware in, there's little that can be done to protect itself from those. Plus, ya know, the core source code hasn't change in 20-25 years.

Microsoft needs to start over from scratch and build off of a brand new core. Similar to the NT kernel, which they use now, so that applications do not integrate themselves into Explorer, but with a virtual machine/emulator for "legacy" software.

I'd like to get a Mac sometime. I feel it'd be good to get to know it, so that I may troubleshoot anyone having an issue with it. Wouldn't have a career out of it, though.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I have to agree with you on the build it from scratch. Two decades of legacy support is too much. Rebuild it completely. Forget about pre-Vista apps but offer the option/software of XP virtualization. Anything else should be forgotten. Apple did it with OS X and it worked very well. Microsoft would definitely benefit from a similar, if not exact, approach.

And yes, marketshare has a lot to do with it. But then again, Firefox is used by 1/5 of the world now and you still don't hear about major holes in the software. There were several reports of holes for Firefox 3 the day it was released but no reports of actual malicious code making use of these holes and Mozilla should have it fixed by 3.1 which should launch in alpha either this week or next week (and feature some new features as well, such as visual ctrl+tab).

OS X is about to break 8% marketshare. Everytime a new scare comes out, Apple quickly releases an update to the OS (usually within a few days) either as a security update or as a full fledged incremental OS X update such as the last one of 10.5.4. And most people just assume that OS X has no virus protection or scanning because it really doesn't need it. There is a built in scanner that scans every .app file you install and every file you open. It's quick and is never seen by the user. It will sometimes pop up long enough as a process in Activity Monitor to be seen but it is usually just for a split second before it goes away.

newBookmarkLockedFalling