Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Somewhat of a debate I was having with my mother was over the word "whore". She absolutely hates the word. Upon asking her she explained to me that in her opinion it is only ever used to describe woman and is also used out of context alot.

I argued that some guys are called man whores, but the word is more often used for woman because it is usually more in context in the case of some woman.

What do you think? Is the word over used? IS it a bad word? Is it borderline sexist when it is used more to describe woman?

Debate!
k

stoner
I think it is a bad word. It is sort of sexist to women. It affends in a way.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
There are many different types of "whores" in my world. It's mostly used to describe somebody who spends all of his/her time doing one particular thing. Sex is no longer the subject or tone of the word. I'm called a "whore" on an almost a daily basis for multiple different reasons. Last time I checked, I am not a woman. I play on CS/TF2 servers with a bunch of other guys, and we call each other whores all the time. If a rare-but-appreciated female should join the game, we'll call her a whore for the same reasons we call each other "whores". It has nothing to do with the original meaning of the word, anymore.

Although the original word is definitely not a good one, the modern Internet-influenced use of the word is just fine. I have no problem with it, and take no offense to it. Every female I know feels the same way about it (and I know more than you'd expect me to).
wat

stoner
The word has split into different meanings!

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
stoner Avatar
I think it is a bad word. It is sort of sexist to women. It affends in a way.

Sums up why I use it on a regular basis.

lol jk kind of

Whore is overused though, which is why I find that slut is more effective.

stoner
Its starting to go in a black hole sort of because it is used too much!

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Meh. There is no bad word to me. If it offends someone, it offends someone. I'm not here to make people feel good.

tcm

tcm Avatar

Studio Member

January 2008
It's not sexist, that's pretty silly in my opinion.

I mean it's like saying "bad man" is sexist, it's a legit word for something.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Apparently, according to my mother, it isn't right to call a woman a whore even if she sleeps around alot. Why? Because she says that I wouldn't use the same word to describe a man who sleeps around alot.

However, I disagree. I would. :P
k

Kay

Kay Avatar
if I'm not here, I'm probably working.

Ghost Admin

August 2005
I use it for girls/women that sleep around a lot, I'll admit. If a guy sleeps around a lot, I just say he's a dog. So in reality, it's kind of equal. Then again, look at my personal text... that's been there for quite some time now.

:)

stoner
So its sort of popular?

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
stoner Avatar
So its sort of popular?

It's more that its definition has changed from its original meaning for the younger generations. Take for example what Scorp was saying. In a shooter video game, you might call someone a "rocket whore" if they just constantly shoot rockets and that's all they do. It has changed more from a meaning of a girl who sleeps around to someone who uses/does something a lot. Though, if you still called a girl a whore, the definition would be straight forward. :P

stoner
Yesterday , employees at Target were calling the elderly "whores".

newBookmarkLockedFalling