Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Instead of berating this, I want you to do some homework.

When I was learning to do graphic design, I started off by learning to recreate things, not create things. The art of imitation is mocked, generally, but it is immensely useful. For example, a lot of the images for SZ had to be recreated due to a lack of a PSD. Being able to see what others did, redo it, and make it even more flexible than before makes life unbelievably easier.

Now, this is what I am going to ask you to do. I want you to go to here (via Plizzo) and open that in Photoshop or whatever you are using. Take it, and study it. Look at the gradients, how the edges smooth, the basic shapes used, etc.. Make sure you zoom in to 1600% or even 3200% so you can full appreciate the pixels. The pixel is the basis for everything in the visual computer world, understand how to use it and you will become much better.

Next, I want you to try to recreate it using the information you just gathered. Figure out how rounded the corners are and make it as exact as possible; if the first try isn't right, try another corner radius. Play with gradients, play with Satin. Never EVER think your first try is good enough, because it isn't. It never will be. If you ever get the chance, watch some tutorials by Dylan Cole. The guy is one of the most respected painters in the world right now, and my person designer hero. As he works, he is constantly erasing things and redoing them. He never thinks anything is good enough and... just look at what the man does. The key to any trade is repetition.

Just try to recreate that icon as closely as possible. It's one of the best lessons you could ever have, especially trying to figure out how to do the outer ridge (hint: multiple gradients and satin). Make sure you use the eye dropper tool to have the right colors, too (When using the brush tool, the paint bucket, etc. hold down option and you will get a temporary eye dropper that will let you select a color without changing tools, too)

Again, I just want to see you improve. You can't go around saying your creations suck all the time, so you need to get better to the point where you and, perhaps, others can appreciate and respect your work.

newBookmarkLockedFalling