Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
Today, I'll be showing you a really simple way to change the color of an object using photoshop.

We'll be recoloring a smiley by Conor, which can be found here.

We're going to be using a Hue/Saturation Adjustment layer. It sounds like a mouthful, but it's really easy!

The Hue/Saturation tool is a powerful instrument that allows you to recolor objects easily and effortlessly. We're going to use it alongside an adjustment layer to "link" the hue layer with the original image.

1. Go to Layer > New Adjustment layer > Hue/Saturation

2. You should see a dialogue box similar to this:

Make sure that "Use Previous Layer to Create Clipping Mask" is checked

Go ahead and click "OK"

3. Now you should see one of these two windows:

or

No matter which it is, check "Colorize" and then drag the Hue arrow to whatever color you want the image to be. When you're satisfied with your recolor, click "OK" if needed.
I'm making my smiley green, so my adjustments look like this:

4. You might notice some imperfections with your image - in our case, the tongue of our smiley turned green. We don't want this! If you need to make some color corrections, read the rest of step four. Otherwise skip ahead.

4.2) Zoom in using the zoom tool or by pressing control/command + "+" (the plus key on your keyboard) until you can clearly see the area you don't want to be colored.

4.3) Disable the Hue/Saturation layer by unchecking its visibility icon in the layers palette.

4.4) Use the one of the Marquee Tools (I'm using the Rectangular Marquee Tool ) to select the pixels you don't want colored.

4.5) After you've selected all the pixels you need, re-enable the Hue/Saturation layer by re-checking its visibility icon in the layers palette. When this is done, simply hit delete on your keyboard. If all goes well, you should have removed the pixels that you don't want colored. If not, make sure that your Hue/Saturation layer was the active layer (currently selected in the layers palette).

5) Save and you're done! If all went well, your smiley should now look something like this:

See, like i said - an easy, effortless (or near effortless) way to recolor objects!

Hope you enjoyed :)

Last Edit: Oct 24, 2009 20:51:12 GMT by Benjamin
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Conor

Conor Avatar

ProNation

July 2007
That's what I've been doing.

My Photoshop just fucks it up though. :-/

I'll try at it again though.

Edit: Even less work if you just go to Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation

it doesn't create a new layer, but it does the same thing. :)

Last Edit: Jul 2, 2009 12:47:50 GMT by Conor

newfieldgrafix
Ctrl + U in Windows...

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar

Elite Mod

November 2006
Conor Avatar
That's what I've been doing.

My Photoshop just fucks it up though. :-/

I'll try at it again though.

Edit: Even less work if you just go to Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation

it doesn't create a new layer, but it does the same thing. :)

I started off the tutorial with two methods, this one, and the one that is actually in the tut. In order to properly recolor objects without using an adjustment layer is to duplicate the layer, do the hue, and then erase the parts you don't want colored. I figured an adjustment layer would provide less confusion to the general mass.
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Conor

Conor Avatar

ProNation

July 2007
oh alright.

newfieldgrafix
I can't knock it, it's a good tutorial.

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar

Elite Mod

November 2006
Images updated.
Lucifer Avatar

newBookmarkLockedFalling