Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Shadowblast

Shadowblast Avatar
Doesn't Actually Blast Shadows

Official Member

September 2009
Earth Portal Tutorial
[/size][/center]

In this tutorial, we are going to make a cool Earth Portal background like this.

1. Open a new canvas, 500x500 is what im using. Colour it black.

2. Grab your brush and set it to 19px (If you are using the 500x500 canvas). Change the foreground colour to white.

3. Now you have fun! Randomly draw lines, dots and squiggles on the canvas, but do not go overboard. Here's mine!

4. Now go to Filter -> Blur -> Radial Blur. Set it to Zoom, 100% and best. Then click ok.

5. Go to Filter -> Stylize -> Find edges. Click ok. Now use CNTRL + I to invert the colours. You should have this.

6. We need to repeat Steps 4 and 5. This will sharpen the image.

7. Now, take your brush again. This time, make it about 10px (If you are using 500x500). You need to draw random things again, however, focus towards a central point. You should get this.

8. Now again, we need to repeat steps 4 and 5. Do it twice for the best results. Make sure you always use the same settings. And remember to invert the colours (Cntrl + i).

9. Next, go to Filter -> Distort -> Wave. Use the standard settings. Don't change any of them. You should get something like this.

10. Now, here is possbily the most technical part. (Well, if you could call it technical).
You need to replicate the layer (Cntrl + J). Set the top layer to lighten. Go to Edit -> Transform -> Flip Horizontal. Now you should have a line of symetry down the centre of the image. You should have this.

11. Now, we need to colour it! Flatten the image first. (This does work better). Then create a new adjustment layer. You need to select colour balance. Once these settings are made, you can preety much alter the colours, shadows and higlights until you have something like this.

Now, you should have an nice graphic, which you can use for most things!

ENJOY - Please don't rip.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I remember seeing this effect a long time ago when I was just learning to design. :P It can be fun to mess with.

Shadowblast

Shadowblast Avatar
Doesn't Actually Blast Shadows

Official Member

September 2009
It sure can, but I altered it to my way.

newBookmarkLockedFalling