Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Salvager

Salvager Avatar

July 2006
Do we have any Flash artists here? I've been one for quite some time now. I love the program. I think its one of the best programs you can get. Animating is cool, as is just doodling. Actionscripting seems pretty awesome, but I haven't been all that successful at learning it.

newfieldgrafix
I ramble my way thru it. Once; I had a animation that needed doing for something-or-other, and all the Flash Animators, I know were in bed or whatever. And this thing needed to be done in an hour. So in deep, I learned the basics fast and ended up with a barely passable Applet.

Actionscript is so easy, throw Flask into Developer Mode and BAM, you can do basic AS!

I use it in dire emergencies only and to vector stuff. I hate the thing (when crawling through pages of Actionscript), but I love the results!

What kind of stuff do you do?

Anselm

Anselm Avatar

Official Member

August 2005
I do need to invest in Flash at some point, I think it would be that one step to take my web designing to a new level. Welcome screens, loading bars; they don't need flash, but look better when they have flash.

Salvager

Salvager Avatar

July 2006
Flash is indeed very helpful for making web designs look better.

What kind of stuff have I done? I have made a few short animations in it. I have made some vector graphics with it. Made some sketches in it for fun. I have tried to make some longer projects, but haven't finished them ever. :P

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Flash needs to die. With the features of HTML5, a lot of things can be done using HTML and other coding instead of flash for actual interfaces. With games and the such, javascript can be used to duplicate most of it. I'm reeeeally hoping that sites like Vimeo and YouTube decide to get rid of the Flash videos and switch to OGG videos since they can play in the browser very easily now.

And besides, Adobe hates Macs. My computer should not increase 30oF just to watch a video.

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
I had to learn it for work a few years ago, and lemme tell you what.. it's a huge pain in my ass. Actionscript 2 - 3 incapabilities, having to design for flash 8 because a lot of people still haven't upgraded to 9 or 10, etc.

I agree with Josh.
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

newfieldgrafix
You have to see the point of it though, a nice vector is less on bandwidth, and the interactivity is uber. But when you said; "a lot of people still haven't upgraded to 9 or 10", Ben, wouldn't the same apply to HTML 5, I know loads that still use IE 6 on XP etc.

Salvager: We should do a collaboration some time dude!

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Jul 12, 2009 1:23:07 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
You have to see the point of it though, a nice vector is less on bandwidth, and the interactivity is uber. But when you said; "a lot of people still haven't upgraded to 9 or 10", Ben, wouldn't the same apply to HTML 5, I know loads that still use IE 6 on XP etc.

IE6 is down to between 5 and 10% and is expected to hit around 2-3% by the end of the year from the last report I read (was on Digg. Not sure if I could find it again. :P)

Salvager

Salvager Avatar

July 2006
newfieldgrafix Avatar

That may sound cool.

I know there are some areas that it is becoming inferior to, but it is moving up in many regards. Some people are starting to switch to it instead of cel animation. Also, there is a large animation following on the internet.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Salvager Avatar
newfieldgrafix Avatar

That may sound cool.

I know there are some areas that it is becoming inferior to, but it is moving up in many regards. Some people are starting to switch to it instead of cel animation. Also, there is a large animation following on the internet.

I would much rather they use another Adobe program, After Effects, or something like Final Cut Pro to make a better quality film and not make my laptop overheat. :)

newfieldgrafix
I don't know, Josh, there's something to be said for vectors, who hasn't been on Whack the Penguin when they should doing their IT coursework..? I've never use After Effects, so I have no reference, the only thing I do complain about is Adobe Illustrator was utter crap. I've never heard of Final Cut, so I can't say.

And on another note, it's about time people left IE 6, I stopped compatibility with 6 a week after 7 came final. But I do have the fortune where the customer has to meet my compatibility requirements.

A guy asked me to fit his Internet Café out with machines that run 98 (yeah as in Win98) back in 2006. I obviously told him about XP and Vista the year after, but he was adamant that 98 was the best. I declined the offer and left him to find a more casual computer dealer. His Café failed, and the associated dealer humiliated...

newBookmarkLockedFalling