Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
WARNING: This article may contain small plot spoilers for the recently released movie, District 9. If you have not seen this movie yet, read at your own risk

With the release of District 9 this past Friday, another movie is added to the list of "Shaky Cam Films". District 9 joins the likes of all three Bourne movies, Cloverfield, and Friday Night Lights. The television series 24 also uses the technique.

For those of you who don't know, the shaky cam effect is, in a nutshell, when a movie is filmed in a style where the camera doesn't smoothly pan around a room or smoothly follow a character. When the camera is following a character, it appears as if the cameraman is running behind the character. In a movie such as Cloverfield the effect is used to make a very convincing home movie feel as the entire film is shot from the perspective of one of the main characters, in a camera that he is holding the entire movie.

Back to District 9. I've been reading a lot of reviews. I felt it was an amazing movie, one of the best original sci-fi films of all time. But this is beside the point. In a lot of these reviews (as in the reviews for Cloverfield (or even notices posted at theaters) and the last two Bourne films), the critic seems to hate the shaky cam style. Claiming they were nauseous because of it. I do not understand these complaints.

How sensitive does your stomach have to be to get nauseous from this? Or are these critics sitting there and staring at Wikus (the main character) the entire 2 hours of the film? Either way, you have problems.

You should see a doctor if your stomach is that sensitive. I have an incredibly sensitive stomach. I can't do even mild roller coasters. I am unable to see an animal ready for dissection without running to the bathroom. I have to turn my eyes when they show surgeries in movies and on TV. My stomach does not deal well with a lot of things. But the shaky cam effect does not cause even the smallest bit of nausea for me.

If you are sitting there staring at Wikus as he darts from the middle of the screen to about a quarter of the way to the outside, why are you doing this? District 9 is entirely detail filled. It is beautiful just how much attention was paid to small little details such as fading paint or pieces of meat lying around or empty cat food cans. The point is that if you are sitting there and your eyes or working overdrive trying to stay centered on Wikus, then you are missing half the movie. There is so much more to a movie than what the main character is doing and in District 9 you only needed to focus on Wikus every 10 or so seconds. The rest of the time your eyes should have been hovering throughout the scene and taking in the small things like two Sprawn 50 yards in the background fighting over a can of cat food. Instead you are just looking at the same thing the entire movie.

My question to use is this: Do you have issues with the shaky cam effect being employed by movies lately? Do you think it is a nuisance and unprofessional or do you feel that it simply adds to the experience and life-like experience that some movies are providing now (rather than the narrative style of old)?

Sound off, Studio Zero!

Last Edit: Aug 17, 2009 13:30:09 GMT by Andrew McGivery
k

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
I agree that if it makes you nauseous, you have some serious problems.

I have a horribly weak stomach too and I love those movies. And after seeing district 9, I must say it was one of the best sci-fi movies I've ever seen.
k

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I like it when it's done right (like Cloverfield). I can't think of examples off-hand, but I've seen movies where it looks kind of annoying because it wasn't done so well. But that's not really a fault of the effect, but the director/cameraman.

Parker

Parker Avatar

February 2009
I loved Cloverfield and its one of my favourite movies but I do agree with Fredy. I dont see how it makes people feel ill beucase (in Cloverfield) most of the time the camera isnt moving that much and when there just walking around its just the same when you walk around? So if they feel ill by that then surely they should when walking?...I realise that this doesnt make that much sense :P

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
I have to admit I for one agree with the critics. I have yet to see District 9, but I have seen Cloverfield, so I can relate. For me, when I watched Cloverfield I didn't get a nauseous feeling in my stomach, but rather a massive headache which made me feel like I was going to be sick. Sadly the same thing happens to me when I play COD4 or Halo 3. I'm guessing it has to do with the sensitivity, but even on low it is too much swinging for me. As a younger child I suffered for motion sickness and couldn't be in a vehicle for long amounts of time. If I was I would feel like I was going to get sick eventually.

Now I can and DO watch movies with fast paced action in them and they aren't that bad. However, when I watched Cloverfield due to the constant unsteadiness of the camera I started to get a little dizzy and then that turned into a massive headache which turned into me having the feeling of getting sick. Thankfully I rented this movie and watched it at home, so I was able to pause it, get my pillow, and rest on the couch.. Unfortunately I had to watch most of the movie with my eyes closed because I felt less sick that way and when I would open them to watch the movie again the feeling came back. Even with that bad experience, I still liked the movie. It had a really good storyline and was great. Do I feel it could have been better without the shaky camera? Yes. Can I respect the viewpoint the director was trying to show his movie from, however? Yes.

I mean if you think about it, it makes those kind of movies more realistic and it does add to the experience. For people like me though it is a nuisance and we don't get to enjoy them as much as others.

Silent

Silent Avatar

Dedicated Member

September 2009
Lucifer Avatar
I like it when it's done right (like Cloverfield). I can't think of examples off-hand, but I've seen movies where it looks kind of annoying because it wasn't done so well. But that's not really a fault of the effect, but the director/cameraman.

Colverfield was an amazing movie. As for District 9. That is something I must watch.

Trill

Trill Avatar

February 2009
During the final battle of Transformers, they used the shaky cam effect. I didn't like it in this scene because there was so much movement, it was hard to see who was doing what.
Godric's Hollow
LOOKING FOR STAFF FOR MUSIC FORUM - iMusica

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Silent Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

Colverfield was an amazing movie. As for District 9. That is something I must watch.

I saw District 9. It works very well in that movie as well.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Trill Avatar
During the final battle of Transformers, they used the shaky cam effect. I didn't like it in this scene because there was so much movement, it was hard to see who was doing what.

When you implement it once in an entire film, there's a problem. It should be used consistently or not at all. The final scene in Revenge of the Fallen was just too busy for any camera style and it really screwed things up, I think. If they had made it smaller (Michael Bay doesn't do small things though so that would never happen), it may have worked out but having 30 giant robots fighting each other and a bunch of humans... you are bound to run into trouble

newBookmarkLockedFalling