Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

.trance\\

.trance\\ Avatar

August 2005
Well, there wasn't a place to Graphic Designers' Hangout board, so I'm going to post this here:

I seem to be in a rut with coming up with a color scheme for my new skin that I want to cook up for my next version of RP Universe. When I come up with something, it's never striking or nice looking, it just seems bland.

I've tried the color mixers but nothing very good pops up.

So here I am, asking you guys- how do you come up with your color schemes for your forums?

If you look at what I got now, you'll see what I mean by how I can't come up with any good colors:
narovoy.proboards56.com/index.cgi

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
It's not always color. It seems "bland" because you have no catbg or titlebg images. If you go to Proboards Support, there's a code to add a 3D effect which will make yuor forum look much better. Otherwise, for colors, think of what you want.

1. Dark
2. Light
3. Medium

Then, you make that. Light would be white or a light grey base color. Dark would be a black or dark grey base color. Medium would be a medium grey, or single color. Then, think of a color that goes good. Otherwise, there is no set way of choosing.

evilrobotdude

evilrobotdude Avatar

September 2005
Well my way of choosing is always just pick a main theme colour. Blue, Red etc I suggest you stay away from the common colours such as grey/silver (e.g. SSD) and grey/black (e.g. ZD). If you want a grey colour make it tinted with another colour to make it original.

When you have chosen your them colour then pick the theme hex code. When you've done that just go up and down the shades until you can find a couple of lighter ones and a couple of darker ones. Just make a selection of colours to use for different things to make it more interesting. A consistant set of 2 colours will get very boring :P

Hope that helps.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Yes, but it is always good to stick with two different colors. Places like Astral Genesis bug me because of all the red and same with G101. It's all that glossy grey color. I'd say find a color(light or dark), then use that as a secondary color. Main colors should usually be neutral colors like blacks, whites, and greys. Like this place, blue is the secondary color. Well, kinda. The main color would be light grey and white since that's what many of the windows are. Then the categories, background, and titles will be your secondary color which will really determine the look of your forum.

.trance\\

.trance\\ Avatar

August 2005
I would rather not use the 3-D effect. I know how to make gradient images.

And plus, gray is trendwhore. I want to stay away from that. I was thinking of making a light gray with a reddish tint and use orange as the secondary colors. I'm not entirely sure right now.

evilrobotdude

evilrobotdude Avatar

September 2005
Sounds quite kool. Well what ever you decide post it when its done so we can see :)

ChrisS

ChrisS Avatar
RIP Personal Text. . . . .

Dedicated Member

August 2005
I don't understand what any of you techy people are saying can you expain
I Stand Here With My Views

ChrisS

ChrisS Avatar
RIP Personal Text. . . . .

Dedicated Member

August 2005
chriss said:
I don't understand what any of you techy people are saying can you explain

I Stand Here With My Views

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
phoenix said:
I would rather not use the 3-D effect. I know how to make gradient images.

And plus, gray is trendwhore. I want to stay away from that. I was thinking of making a light gray with a reddish tint and use orange as the secondary colors. I'm not entirely sure right now.

Well, if you can make gradients, then don't use 3D. But if you can't, it really makes a forum look good. And those colors sound good.

.trance\\

.trance\\ Avatar

August 2005
Haha, I think the 3-D effects look bad. XD

I'll get to work on the color scheme.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
phoenix said:
Haha, I think the 3-D effects look bad. XD

I'll get to work on the color scheme.

Only if yu overdo it. I had a 3 px outset for my title, 2 px for cat, and 1 px for windows 1 and 2. It looked really good, but I give up on forums. I'd rather try to help others than make my own. Mine always fail.

.trance\\

.trance\\ Avatar

August 2005
narovoy.proboards56.com/index.cgi

There're the new colors. They aren't too shabby.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Very nice. I really like the new colors.

.trance\\

.trance\\ Avatar

August 2005
Might there be anything to improve on?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Umm...images. And why is the ad banner up at the top? You should move that bak where it was.

newBookmarkLockedFalling