Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
www.wimp.com/awesomecomputer/

I do believe so...
wat

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Damn. Best I've built is a 6 hard drive, 6 cpu (quadcore, so 24 core total), 18gb ram machine running ubuntu. I felt that was pretty fast. Guess not.

helmer3.sfe.se/ - Will be most awesome computer

Last Edit: Feb 28, 2010 11:52:46 GMT by Eric

newfieldgrafix
I lost interest when he refered to 2GB as 2,000MB - He's clearly not a professional.

All in all I am not impressed. I've seen calculators with more power... But then again, work's pencil sharpeners were made by Scientific Atlanta...

iiPod

iiPod Avatar

ProNation

October 2009
I think it's quite cool. :P
Looking for a coder, PM me.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Zell: It's because that's what most people associate them as and I doubt the video was made by -him- as opposed to someone else in the same company. :P

Tobias

Tobias Avatar

Dedicated Member

November 2006
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Feb 28, 2010 16:02:13 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
I lost interest when he refered to 2GB as 2,000MB - He's clearly not a professional.

All in all I am not impressed. I've seen calculators with more power... But then again, work's pencil sharpeners were made by Scientific Atlanta...
2GB is 2000MB. I believe you're thinking of GiB and MiB.
#intj (Mastermind)^

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Tobias Avatar
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Feb 28, 2010 16:02:13 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:

www.google.com/search?q=2GB+in+MB

Really now? :P

Last Edit: Feb 28, 2010 19:51:57 GMT by Chris

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Chris Avatar
Tobias Avatar

2GB in Snow Leopard is 2000MB, they changed it. Which is annoying when copying files from windows to mac :P

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Actually he said it was over 2,000 MB which it was. The person who made the video put 2GB. Maybe it wasn't quite 2GB. Although I don't think anyone cares 48MB worth.

Tobias

Tobias Avatar

Dedicated Member

November 2006
Chris Avatar
Tobias Avatar

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix
Really now.
#intj (Mastermind)^

newfieldgrafix

That article is wrong.
I'll scan some of my CISCO stuff later.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Fairly awesome, excluding the fact that all the hard drives are dangling about like an unprotected nutsack. That's just a bad idea.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Lucifer Avatar
Fairly awesome, excluding the fact that all the hard drives are dangling about like an unprotected nutsack. That's just a bad idea.

He jumped up and down with them with no issues. :P I think they're fine.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Chris Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

He jumped up and down with them with no issues. :P I think they're fine.

That was to show how solid state drives don't skip when you bang them around. The fact that they're unprotected and hanging by wires is still a horrible idea. :P

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008

While I didn't read most of it, it seems to be jumbling a few things together and confusing things. In base 2 (which they do say), 1MB = 1024KB. So 2GB = 2048 MB = 2,097,152KB. As opposed to 2GB=2000MB=2,000,000KB.

Hard drive manufacturers, though, use base 10. Which mucks things up. Because they say 1000MB=1GB, they can sell you a 500GB hard drive that is really ~12GB less when it shows up in base 2 on Windows and Linux. Apple switched to base 10 for Snow Leopard to try and ease the confusion over the fact that someone's 500GB hard drive shows up as having only 488GB on a fresh wipe. It's the manufacturers cheaping us out of the full drive size that they promise, because everyone is used to base 2.

newBookmarkLockedFalling