Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

JD

JD Avatar

June 2008
Not designed a forum for a long time =P

wimg.co.uk/A48.png

A penny for your thoughts?

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
The light color is too strong against the rest. It's actually very painful to look at it.

Both shades of green (in the nav and in the quote) don't fit in with the brown. I get the feeling that you're trying to use a wide variety of "minor" colors, but the "major" color (brown) isn't neutral enough for that. That technique is extremely difficult on colors that aren't a shade of gray or heavily grayed out.

The title within those white gradients... I just really don't like it. That's very important text. It shouldn't be so small and blended-in. It needs to stick out a lot more. That text needs to grab attention.

That banner is simply waaaaaaay too small. From what I can see, it's the shortest element on the page (height-wise), which is bad. I'm all for banners not sticking out too much, but come on... it's the name of the site. It needs to at least be noticeable, not stuck at the top and blended perfectly into the background. I'm also not too fond of the font color of that bit in the upper right. That's not being used anywhere else.

It does definitely look like it has some potential, though. It's just riddled with a lot of web design problems. This is the reason I keep telling people that web design is one of the hardest types of digital art. It has to be designed with its purpose in mind.

Analyze each element you're designing before you draw it out. How important is it? Is it something the user will need to use or see? If so, make it stick out. If not, make it blend in. Those white gradients, for example, aren't the important parts. The contents of them are what's important. Therefore, the container itself is also important, but not as vital as the information contained. Make the gradient part stick out a little and the text within it stick out more.
wat

iiPod

iiPod Avatar

ProNation

October 2009
Still like this except the search bar. :)
Looking for a coder, PM me.

Tovarisch

Tovarisch Avatar
Open Your Mind

Official Member

February 2010
tbh, i think scorpian is talking out his arse.
I'd be looking into someone's own webdesigns if their going to lecture you on what is "bad".

The layout is great minimal web design, the only thing i would personally change is the sphere that the PM ammount sits on, i'd make it a bit more flat looking.
Good job man (y)

newfieldgrafix
Tovarisch Avatar
I'd be looking into someone's own webdesigns if their going to lecture you on what is "bad".

The layout is great minimal web design, the only thing i would personally change is the sphere that the PM ammount sits on, i'd make it a bit more flat looking.
Good job man (y)

C'mon man, we're all friends here.

iiPod

iiPod Avatar

ProNation

October 2009
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Apr 23, 2010 12:55:02 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
Tovarisch Avatar

Good job man (y)

C'mon man, we're all friends here.

Except Fredy.
Looking for a coder, PM me.

Chronologik

Chronologik Avatar
I bring with me delicious RosaSecta.com

March 2010
I love the actual design, but I don't really like the colour choice. I'm gonna agree with scorpian about the minor vs major colours. With such a strong tone of brown, the other colours just look odd in contrast.

Other than the colour theory behind the design, I love it though.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Tovarisch Avatar

Good job man (y)

are you serious right now?

At no point in his post did he even use the word bad, nor did he imply it. He gave a very helpful post full of opportunity to improve the design.

so, in summary, shush.
k

JD

JD Avatar

June 2008
I'm going to have to side with Fredy. What Scorp said has been very helpful, and if the time comes when this design is to have more work put into it, i'll be sure to reread it in infinite detail.

Thanks all you guys <3

Tovarisch

Tovarisch Avatar
Open Your Mind

Official Member

February 2010
Andrew McGivery Avatar
Tovarisch Avatar

Good job man (y)

are you serious right now?

At no point in his post did he even use the word bad, nor did he imply it. He gave a very helpful post full of opportunity to improve the design.

so, in summary, shush.

Are you blind or stupid?

Scorpian Avatar

That banner is simply waaaaaaay too small. From what I can see, it's the shortest element on the page (height-wise), which is bad. I'm all for banners not sticking out too much, but come on... it's the name of the site. It needs to at least be noticeable, not stuck at the top and blended perfectly into the background. I'm also not too fond of the font color of that bit in the upper right. That's not being used anywhere else.

newfieldgrafix
Coming to a forum and alienating vet members, staff and former staff, will only serve to alienate your self.

JD

JD Avatar

June 2008
took me a while to understand what you meant by vet, especially with the hedgehog. I love hedgehogs btw, got any I can adopt?

JD

JD Avatar

June 2008
Yeah, that's what it is. I'm with you, I had no idea I just made a reference to an on going joke.

newfieldgrafix
Yeah, I meant veteran.

At risk of going back onto topic... To touch on what Scorp said, the contrast of the bars and the BG is slightly high. It gives me the referee shirt eyesight, you know, right?

I mean there's no question that you know how to design - it's clear you can, but I would say the layout is the ting letting you down.

I must also point out that you totally got Wrighty's personality to a tee...

Edit:
If my grammar sucks, I'm having a brain fart. I had to fragment it - twice...

Last Edit: Apr 26, 2010 23:02:37 GMT by newfieldgrafix

newBookmarkLockedFalling