Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
For my website...

joemaggio.proboards.com

I would like to have 1-2 coders come help me here if you are interested join the board and apply
Building Your Proboard, a Basic Guide to Getting Your Forum Started

Need somewhere to host files?[/url]

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
It can take some incentive when you're making a formal request.

"Are you good? here is your chance!" is just backward logic. You have little to offer them right now, and they have everything to offer you.

PB-oriented design/coding forums are hard enough to maintain. And even more so when you aren't an experienced designer/coder yourself. I wish you the best of luck, mate, but I suggest you wait a while before tackling this kind of project.

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
i can do this. My problem will not be that i am not willing to work on it my problem will be that i am not smart enough to do all the coding myself. I think that if i got a good coder to work with me than i could make this a BIG board

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
my problem will be that i am not smart enough to do all the coding myself.

And even more so when you aren't an experienced designer/coder yourself. I wish you the best of luck, mate, but I suggest you wait a while before tackling this kind of project.

Take his advice.
k

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Can anyone here name a design/coding forum that got far and lasted over a year without a coder (or designer) who knew what they were doing? I'm honestly trying to think of one right now and am drawing a blank. :P

Night: I recommend that you take their advice. Contribute to another site until you are good enough to stand on your own two feet in the coding world. That's the strategy that led to SZ. Joe was a good designer and I was an ok coder who had been learning and honing his skills for 4-5 months at (now closed) Hatake Forum, but even then I wasn't good enough to do this by myself. I took over for Hechizero as v1's coder, so we already had some stuff done. But even then, I was still being mentored by Crazy_J and asking questions left and right. Heck, we even used one premade code at release. Obviously everything has been redone 5-6 times (at least) since then.

From what I can tell, youre trying to skip those months of learning and jump to creating a forum. That's not the way to go unfortunately. You need to learn quite a bit more first. I highly doubt someone is going to volunteer to, more or less, code your entire forum for you. It just doesn't work that way unfortunately.

However, I'm not here to discourage you. I'm here to help you learn. So here's my suggestion: take everything one step at a time. First off, figure out what codes you want to use on your board. Start with some basics. Maybe you want a bar dividing your stickies from your regular threads. Write it. Write what you can anyways. When you get stuck, post here. Aaron and I are both experienced at explaining how to write codes.

We are here to help, but we won't do your work for you.

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
i have been working looking at scripts for about 2-4 months but i can't quite get myself to understand how most of it works. I will look at what people tell me to do and never be able to apply it to proboards. I can work with codes and i can write a little. Do i really need to be able to write an advanced code to get a forum running? I can work hard and i am learning but i do need a little help from other people who can do it better than me. I don't see why i shouldn't be able to run a forum if i can get a good coder and graphics designer to help me.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Joe Kerr Avatar
i have been working looking at scripts for about 2-4 months but i can't quite get myself to understand how most of it works. I will look at what people tell me to do and never be able to apply it to proboards. I can work with codes and i can write a little. Do i really need to be able to write an advanced code to get a forum running? I can work hard and i am learning but i do need a little help from other people who can do it better than me. I don't see why i shouldn't be able to run a forum if i can get a good coder and graphics designer to help me.
Night, I'm going to be blunt. It's because you bring nothing to the table. Why would a good coder and designer want to work at your forum instead of creating their own? Your essential role would be that of a moderator, at least in comparison to theirs. You're not providing money or any kind of value for them to work at your forum. You're not even an idea man, which is sometimes one thing that I will accept as a team member if they lack technical experience. You're idea is to create another of the most common type of proboard, not very original. By now, design forums are a dime a dozen, especially with Proboards Support having the coding and design boards.

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
i can think of a bunch of ideas for codes but don't know how to actualy write them. I will still try to do my forum but i don't think i can ask for help here.

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
As Chris said, we don't mean to discourage you. If you're committed to this idea, we'll do what we can to guide you through the experience.

Last Edit: Jun 30, 2010 21:36:36 GMT by Aaron

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Night: Let's start at basics. How well do you know HTML and CSS? Could you create a PB layout by hand coding it in HTML and CSS? If not, you need to learn them. JS, for ProBoards, is applied to HTML more than with most uses of JS. You need to understand what you're working with in that regard.

The next thing is to pick a code idea. Do something basic and that has been done plenty. I recommended a sticky divider (by bar). That's not difficult by any means and is a good place to start. We can help you if you get stuck.

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
wow...all the posts really are gone

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Yep. :P A server crash does do that.