Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
This is my suggestion thread were i make stupid suggestions :D. I am just using this thread because i make so many of them i would clutter the board.

Suggestion Number 1:
Here is my dumb idea for the database it is just a stupid complicated thing i thought up earlier when i saw the thread asking for descriptions of codes.

Why don't you make a posting form to submit the codes. The cool thing about this form would be that it also submitted the code to a pending database on your website. The posting form could ask for things like a description so you don't need to write one for every code. Then you would go to your website and see if you want the code or not. If you want the code you click accept and it automatically puts the code into the database. I think you would still have to move the thread manually to the database board but that would be easy.

That is the main idea. You can also use all the things you have with it this is just a main concept.

Some other things you could do are.

You could make a section in the database were people can see pending codes. In that section you can make the codes that you reject say [Rejected] and then go away after a week.

You could make it so that when the person edited the code it made an Update: mm/dd/yy at the bottom.

I think this is possible because you would be submitting data to your website not the proboards server.

What do you think of this idea.

Last Edit: Aug 3, 2010 20:22:41 GMT by Joe Kerr
Building Your Proboard, a Basic Guide to Getting Your Forum Started

Need somewhere to host files?[/url]

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Problem is... we have no website. :P Just a domain name.

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
well you can host things can't you?

If you can host things can't you do this?

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Yes, yes we can host things.

Night, you've got some ideas on the right path, but those aren't in the best interest of where we want to take SZ right now. The issue with the code descriptions is because that's a change from CIv3 to CIv4 in which we added descriptions. when I (or my staff) are manually adding codes later, descriptions won't be such a big deal.

However, keep it up. :P they're all not bad ideas.

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
that's the problem with me good ideas with no idea how to do it......

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
It'd just require a crap load of work to port all the coding to a database, especially if we need to allow users to update it. Also, security issues begin to arise on confirming a user.

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
yea i was thinking about that one...it would be to easy to get around if you wanted to hack it...

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Exactly why, for now, everything that uses offsite requires me or SO to do it. :P

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
well thanks for giving me something to think about...

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
Suggestion Number 2:

This would be a big project. I would do it but it would take me months to do the coding for it. You guys know about proboards.ifcode.com rite? Well IMHO it has become run down and needs updating. I think you guys could do better. You could have forums submit their urls to you on a website and you could add them to the list that you comb with your website. Then you could put a button on the menu bar for "Proboards Largest Code Index" You could still use your index for here and have another one with all your codes and all the codes from other forums. You could make it look like the code index you are using with way more features than ifcode. I would be willing to do the stuff that needs to be done once we get the website up and running if you need me to. Stuff like adding websites and talking to people about it (not the coding).

[endsuggestion]

I told you i have way to many ideas...

just to get this strate i do not have this plan of making all these suggestions so i become staff here. In fact i know that i SHOULD NOT be staff with my limited knowledge of coding and graphics. I am just trying to help the "Best coding/graphics/chat/over all forum in proboards":: rate 5 :: ;)

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Joe Kerr Avatar
Suggestion Number 2:

This would be a big project. I would do it but it would take me months to do the coding for it. You guys know about proboards.ifcode.com rite? Well IMHO it has become run down and needs updating. I think you guys could do better. You could have forums submit their urls to you on a website and you could add them to the list that you comb with your website. Then you could put a button on the menu bar for "Proboards Largest Code Index" You could still use your index for here and have another one with all your codes and all the codes from other forums. You could make it look like the code index you are using with way more features than ifcode. I would be willing to do the stuff that needs to be done once we get the website up and running if you need me to. Stuff like adding websites and talking to people about it (not the coding).

[endsuggestion]

I told you i have way to many ideas...

just to get this strate i do not have this plan of making all these suggestions so i become staff here. In fact i know that i SHOULD NOT be staff with my limited knowledge of coding and graphics. I am just trying to help the "Best coding/graphics/chat/over all forum in proboards" ;)

If Web would ever get online I'd make him update it :P.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
James: Let me know if you can get the other James to update it. :P It'd be really nice to have done. Especially since I'm sure it's a single button click for the scanner to run.

Night: You just suggested making that site again. Again, it's a good idea, but not something that's in SZ's future right now. :P The majority of code requests (to my knowledge) come through SZ and PBS, specifically PBS anymore. All the coders at PBS are familiar with that URL and can use it as necessary, so there's no need for SZ to make a mimic database.

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
well i am going to try and fail until i get one rite ;)

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
Its not necessarily that they are wrong however. ;)

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Hotshot's right. :P They're not bad ideas by any means, they're just not something I can see SZ doing anytime soon or is something that isn't broken. (Then again, as an engineer, I shouldn't be content with only fixing something that's broken, huh?)

newBookmarkLockedFalling