Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Xylish

Xylish Avatar

Ghost Admin

June 2005
Starting a new topic from wImgv3 thread.

Do you reckon that Proboards has met its fate after the decline of the "golden age" since 2005?

I think yes, unless there is a new breed of designers/coders or our current breed to lead us to a new generation of design to blow-your mind. I mean, it has been 3-4 years since version 4, the last major update to Proboards have been released. All the possible codes that you can use you "hack" your boards have been released, and for designers, the current system is still very inflexible for us to modify the layout of the board without significant modification and input from the coders.

Ex-admin, designer and founder of Studio Zero. Currently working as a Dentist :)

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Yes.

Case in point? The design of PBv5.

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
I say that if PBv5 comes out in the next 6 months PB will be fine but if they hold off for to much longer most people will leave.
Building Your Proboard, a Basic Guide to Getting Your Forum Started

Need somewhere to host files?[/url]

Xylish

Xylish Avatar

Ghost Admin

June 2005
Josh Avatar
Yes.

Case in point? The design of PBv5.

If it gets released...any news about it so far?
Ex-admin, designer and founder of Studio Zero. Currently working as a Dentist :)

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
There's news, just none that can really be discussed.. if that makes sense.

But v5 will give complete control over templates, which will create a whole new type of design forum, IMO.
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
While the designs might change to a large degree, I feel that the time of forums is largely dead. It's been killed by things like facebook. And while people do still discuss things on site forums, usually the sites have something else that cause them to go to that site in the first place.

I feel another reason that proboards in particular is also dead is because there is no magic there. I remember when I first started coding, it was like casting a spell. The knowledge was seemingly so arcane, and the only resources you had to learn to code for PB were other PB codes. So you read and you wrote.

The sense of community is also gone. It doesn't seem like it was before. People actively worked together to improve their skills (design battles, coding battles, collaborative projects). There was constantly discussion about some new technique or way of doing things. Now it's just dead, it's like nobody was there to pick up the torch when it was needed, and I don't think it will come back.

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
I agree with Eric that forums altogether are being phased out. And that the pb (coding) community is dead. In a sense, there is a mod for everything, so it's rare to see coders at all. Triad and Sub are the only new guys I can think of in the past three years.

If we had enough active members here (Chris, James, Eric, Fredy, Night, Richie, Sub?), I could start some 1k challenges or write js tips/optimization threads. And Fredy's busy with something already.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Benjamin Avatar
There's news, just none that can really be discussed.. if that makes sense.

But v5 will give complete control over templates, which will create a whole new type of design forum, IMO.

I think the default template itself will stifle creativity, though. It is just that freaking bad. The guy who is designing their stuff right now has absolutely no reason to even own Photoshop, much less use it.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
What does v5 look like?

Xylish

Xylish Avatar

Ghost Admin

June 2005

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
They deff need to pick up the pace
Building Your Proboard, a Basic Guide to Getting Your Forum Started

Need somewhere to host files?[/url]

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Eric Avatar
What does v5 look like?

Just look at the current PBS skin and Proboards.com and the blog. It's pretty much the exact same style and would not at all feel out of place in 2002.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Coding and designing is indeed dying... well, coding at least. With v5, everything will be template based, so the chances of having a need for a coder becomes significantly less. I have a -plan- for how I hope SZ will stay a live, but we'll see when that time comes. :P

newBookmarkLockedFalling