Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
dotmac.rationalmind.net/2010/08/some-lesser-known-truths-about-programming/

More of an article for developers than anything else, so I figured I'd post it here. Pretty sure I agree with all of them. :P

Tobias

Tobias Avatar

Dedicated Member

November 2006
Sounds right to me.
#intj (Mastermind)^

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
My personal favorite is great vs good though. It's true, depressingly.

Jordan

Jordan Avatar

Dedicated Member

July 2006
"They write their most important code in the shower and in their dreams"

That's very true for me because whenever I'm working on a project I'm constantly thinking about it while running into things as well as dropping everything. :P

Good article, and I was surprised with the fact that only 10-12 lines per day made it for the team, although I've never worked within a large team before. I definitely agree that thinking about the problem should take up most of the time.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Jordan Avatar

That's very true for me because whenever I'm working on a project I'm constantly thinking about it while running into things as well as dropping everything. :P

Good article, and I was surprised with the fact that only 10-12 lines per day made it for the team, although I've never worked within a large team before. I definitely agree that thinking about the problem should take up most of the time.
That number is largely untrue with decent planning. However, the number of lines you write for a project is almost always significantly more than the lines that end up in the final version of a product. Revisions occur, whole libraries/features are dropped or rewritten. Doesn't mean they weren't necessary to get to the end product though, they might have served some purpose along the way.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Eric Avatar
Jordan Avatar

That number is largely untrue with decent planning. However, the number of lines you write for a project is almost always significantly more than the lines that end up in the final version of a product. Revisions occur, whole libraries/features are dropped or rewritten. Doesn't mean they weren't necessary to get to the end product though, they might have served some purpose along the way.

If you read the site, it said only 10-12 lines per day make it in the final product. So that's after all rewriting and revisions.

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
Jim Avatar
Eric Avatar

If you read the site, it said only 10-12 lines per day make it in the final product. So that's after all rewriting and revisions.
That's what I said?

chantry

chantry Avatar

May 2010
Agreed on the whole shower writing thing ..

I haven't done any javascript coding in years, but I remember back when derfleurer and a few other proboards members were getting into writing javascript prototypes and functions and I jumped on the band wagon and was constantly running into walls. I probably spent like 10% of my time actually writing some of the more challenging ones (well, for me at that time).

It's an odd article to post on a proboards discussion board though. How many of the members on this forum have actually worked for a company and used programming as a profession?

newBookmarkLockedFalling