Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
For those not familiar with state machines, I'd go read up on them quickly.

Has anyone found a good use in programming for states? Outside of robot design (ai specifically), I haven't found a real good use for states and was wondering if you guys have any good examples.

Obviously there are states at a small level in that a key is pressed or not and stuff. I'm talking about high level design.

Edit: I should elaborate that I do realize most programming breaks down to a huge set of states with broad input (ie proboards actions = states and thread IDs = input)

Last Edit: Feb 24, 2011 17:47:06 GMT by Chris

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Entities in game use them extensively. I'm also using a primitive state machine in my UI for an app I'm developing.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Simie Avatar
Entities in game use them extensively. I'm also using a primitive state machine in my UI for an app I'm developing.

Got any examples in games? Nothing comes to mind just thinking of them.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Game AI, mostly. I'd imagine its very similar to robot AI. A door in a game might have 4+ states, open,closed,closing,opening,locked,unlocked

Last Edit: Feb 24, 2011 17:49:47 GMT by Simie

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Game AI would be a good example as well. :P I relate that to robot AI which I mentioned above, but also a reasonable thing.

I don't consider a door to be a state machine by the original definition I was taught... I consider it just a standard class with properties:
class Door {
locked = false
closed = false
}

Something like that. (Pseudo-code ftl.) However, I can see where that makes sense. :P I was talking more along the lines of where a large portion of the code switches based on the state. Web-apps are the best example (which is why I mentioned PB) in that action is the state and thus they switch the entire program based on that.

I didn't think to look at small pieces of code as a state machine though, so doors are a good example. :P

Eric

Eric Avatar

November 2005
To be honest, no, not really. I never intentionally use them. I can easily see the use in a game though.

Search of "state machine uses":
www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-python-state.html

newBookmarkLockedFalling