Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
So... my tv has a USB port and I was thinking about playing videos from my external hdd on my TV.
The question is, do I need to download anything to be able to do so? I mean, will I be able to Play, Pause etc etc by default? Will it display those functions and then using my normal tv remote I can use the up/down/left/right arrows + the "OK/select" button to select the options?

Does anyone have any idea?

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
I believe it depends on your tv. :P You know, you could always.... try it, Instead of asking. :P
k

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
It's easier to ask though... :P

edit:
To note, it's an LG 32" TV, if that helps. HD ready, built in freeview. LCD.

Last Edit: Jul 22, 2011 11:42:22 GMT by Stinky666

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
You will be able to somewhat control videos. They don't like fast forwarding, generally, so it's best to just start from the beginning.

Biggest issue is codecs. Most TVs like this do not have very many supported video types. I know my TV can do some MP4 and DivX (but not XviD) AVI files. My blu-ray player (oddly enough, both are made by Sony) supports everything short of the MKV container and Apple video types (m4v)

Best bet is to plug it in and see what works.

Last Edit: Jul 22, 2011 11:59:41 GMT by Josh

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
I plugged it in and nothing happened.
Usually if for example I plug in my xbox and use tversity, I then have to use "input" on the remote control and select "HDMI 3" (I always put it in HDMI 3 port)...

With this, it all plugged in fine but then nothing. Using "input" only displays the normal crap like AV, HDMI etc but none except AV were selectable.

I tried other options on the remote and nothing worked.
Ideas?

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
USB is usually accessible through other means. With my Sony, I have to hit the "Home" button on my remote and it pops up in there. With my Mitsubishi POS, it is in the options for some reason.

Also, just because it has a USB port does not mean it can be used with an external drive. This may just be a port for plugging in a USB WiFi adapter. That is how our Samsung Blu Ray player is.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Just an FYI, but you can usually stream via xbox via your external HD. :P I've done it before.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
I think it's quite possible then that my TV just doesn't play/handle my HDD..
Big shame, would have made things much simpler. But oh well. :(

Edit:
Chris.. replying JUST before me. Both at the same time, just obv. not the same second.
Anyway.. I have TVersity to stream movies/shows (videos) from my PC through my Xbox. Some times handles MKV, some times doesn't, but so long as I find an avi, I have no problem.

Last Edit: Jul 22, 2011 15:16:12 GMT by Stinky666

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Stinky666 Avatar
I think it's quite possible then that my TV just doesn't play/handle my HDD..
Big shame, would have made things much simpler. But oh well. :(

Like I said, some TVs have that port simply for a Wifi adapter (that costs $150). The family Sony (not the one I have been talking about) is like that. 53" of greatness with an unusable USB port.

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
Most times USB ports are wifi only, or only for service technicians.

Your best bet for files is to hook the drive to your computer and run a program called "transcode360". Look up instructions on all of that, but doing this, I haven't yet found a file I can't play.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Jim Avatar
Most times USB ports are wifi only, or only for service technicians.

Your best bet for files is to hook the drive to your computer and run a program called "transcode360". Look up instructions on all of that, but doing this, I haven't yet found a file I can't play.

I could not, for the life of me, get that to work when you suggested it.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Stinky666 Avatar
Chris.. replying JUST before me.

I've done this quite a few times. :P

And, again, hard drive can plug -into- the xbox, so no need to stream.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
...apparently the 360 does not support NTFS. Stupid Microsoft.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
... well, I was always transferring from a Win7 comp, so it doesn't matter to me. :P

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
What? :P NTFS format hard drives are standard in all but the Mac world. The 360 apparently only supports Fat32 which sucks because Fat32 doesn't support larger than roughly 4GB files.

newBookmarkLockedFalling