Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
I cannot find a fantasy world that has not completely stolen something from Tolkien :P
Building Your Proboard, a Basic Guide to Getting Your Forum Started

Need somewhere to host files?[/url]

~Memzak~

~Memzak~ Avatar
Inquire never, so always need elephants.

May 2009
It's not like he's stolen anything from anywhere... oh wait, he has.

Everyone uses things from everywhere when it comes to fantasy. There is no 'one' set root that everyone else is copying due to the very nature of how fantasy came to be.

:P

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
This is true...however Tolkien took fantasy and perfected it. Sure it's not ALL his, but he is certainly the most original fantasy writer I have read. If you get into his other writings like the silmarilean (sp?) or the indexes to his other books it's astounding the complexity of his world...
Building Your Proboard, a Basic Guide to Getting Your Forum Started

Need somewhere to host files?[/url]

~Memzak~

~Memzak~ Avatar
Inquire never, so always need elephants.

May 2009
Again, he's not the most original in content. He was the first to create a complete fictional world that compiled a lot of fantasy into one universe, but (aside from history) a lot of the core elements are taken from folklore and/or history. (in fact, elves, orcs, dwarfs, dragons, regicide, betrayal, etc. are all from folklore and history throughout the ages)

I'm not bashing tolkien. He WAS the father of the modern fantasy genre, but not because of his originality but because of his ingenuity. The way he took fantasy and utilized it in his very VERY complete universe was what jump-started the whole fantasy novel craze.

newBookmarkLockedFalling