Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Twerque

Twerque Avatar
make my way back home when i learn to fly.

Studio Member

December 2009
Alright, guys. Opinions? I'm about to start the first one ... My boyfriend told me he didn't like the first one, but he loved the second one. What does everybody else think? Are there any glitches I should be aware of?
Signature coming~

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I only played it a little (I had plans to finish it this deployment, but it's one of many Steam games that needs access to the Steam server in order to be played, sadly). The combat system is REALLY weird and kind of hard to get used to, but it makes sense and once you get the hang of it, you'll be a pro. But it's not your typical hack 'n' slash (I believe the second was a bit more intuitive which might be why people liked it better).

In related news, I have The Last Wish and Blood of the Elves, the only two books currently translated from Polish to English from the Witcher series that the games are based on.

Twerque

Twerque Avatar
make my way back home when i learn to fly.

Studio Member

December 2009
I READ THE LAST WISH. UGH. IT WAS SO FUCKING GOOD. I need Blood of the Elves. I read The Last Wish a couple years ago, so I don't remember much, and actually had forgotten about it until you mentioned it xD Hmm ... I don't like weird combat situations, but I think I can get used to it, especially if it's a good enough game atmosphere wise and storyline wise, which it sounds like it is.
Signature coming~

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Twerque Avatar
I READ THE LAST WISH. UGH. IT WAS SO FUCKING GOOD. I need Blood of the Elves. I read The Last Wish a couple years ago, so I don't remember much, and actually had forgotten about it until you mentioned it xD Hmm ... I don't like weird combat situations, but I think I can get used to it, especially if it's a good enough game atmosphere wise and storyline wise, which it sounds like it is.

The third book (which is actually like the 4th or some shit since they skipped translating the second one) comes out on my birthday this year. :3

The combat system is, if I remember right, timing based. You click to attack and it all has to be within this certain rhythm. No, it's not like a "rhythm" game, but you'll see what I mean. It's not just click-click-click-click. You click to attack and then you click again at the very end of the sword stroke, or when your opponent is going to, or something. And you can attack, parry, or block I think. I don't remember exactly. Like I said, it's weird getting used to because you have to resist the urge to just mash the left mouse button and instead you have to be very deliberate. The upside is that when you get it down, it's really satisfying to cut someone down with just a few well-timed mouse clicks. Almost like a dance instead of a flurry of strikes. It's unique and I can see why they did it, but I can also see why they ditched it. It works well, but it just doesn't feel very intense. Just play it and I think you'll see exactly what I mean.

~Memzak~

~Memzak~ Avatar
Inquire never, so always need elephants.

May 2009
I played a lot of The Witcher 2, haven't played the first one, although from what I read, the combat system sounds similar to another game a played a while ago. (the name escapes me now)

Also, The Witcher 2 did have some rather good story climax to combat moments, I suspect the first one'll probably have some too.

newBookmarkLockedFalling