Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
I just saw an old post about firefox 13 and was like, "I thought we were on 11...and that is an old post" I went to check and realize I am on 18?????? Since when did Firefox release every 10 min? I thought for sure we were on like 4 just a few years ago...
Building Your Proboard, a Basic Guide to Getting Your Forum Started

Need somewhere to host files?[/url]

Toshiru

Toshiru Avatar

Dedicated Member

June 2010
Yea, after version they really kicked it up notched with their version updating. It's so that new features come out faster. I believe Mozilla seen Google did it with Chrome and took it into their own browser too.

Edit: I made this post using Internet Explorer 9.0 in the library.

Last Edit: Jan 8, 2013 4:19:25 GMT by Toshiru
Send me a message and we can talk about design forums.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Yep. They took on a more rapid development style. It's very common place with any form of software on the web... hoping other things take advantage of this as well.

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
Like? ProBoards?

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Joe Kerr Avatar
Like? ProBoards?

They have already said they plan to roll out smaller amounts of features in more frequent increments (v5.x as they call 'em). :) So, yes.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
They push a new version of Fx every six weeks, regardless of whether or not anything note-worthy was added. Most of the changes are so minor that you barely even notice them, but they do add up. Compare the overall speed, responsiveness, and features of Fx 15 to Fx 16, and you'll probably give up and say they're the same thing with different version numbers. But compare Fx 18 to Fx 10, and you'll notice an eyebrow-raising difference.
wat

~Memzak~

~Memzak~ Avatar
Inquire never, so always need elephants.

May 2009
Indeed, I personally don't update until I'm about 3 versions behind... but when I do I notice. (sometimes, depending on the update)

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
Yea, I guess I don't mind too much with the updates, but I am a bit more of a quality over quantity guy :P

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Scorpian Avatar
They push a new version of Fx every six weeks, regardless of whether or not anything note-worthy was added. Most of the changes are so minor that you barely even notice them, but they do add up. Compare the overall speed, responsiveness, and features of Fx 15 to Fx 16, and you'll probably give up and say they're the same thing with different version numbers. But compare Fx 18 to Fx 10, and you'll notice an eyebrow-raising difference.

Right. And because waiting for something note worthy makes the developments accumulate instead of getting them out the door to the user as fast as possible. :P

~Memzak~

~Memzak~ Avatar

May 2009
It also helps marketing. It gives the 'appearance' to the general public that they are working harder, faster and therefore progressing more than other browsers.

...at least that's another advantage to it.

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
Yea...I can see why they do that ;) PB definitely doesn't look great for not having upgraded in a while, but I seriously doubt they would have an awesome forum like V5 without waiting a bit :P

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Joe Kerr Avatar
Yea...I can see why they do that ;) PB definitely doesn't look great for not having upgraded in a while, but I seriously doubt they would have an awesome forum like V5 without waiting a bit :P

Helps that they finally hired more staff too. Used to be just 5 people. Now they're close to 10 or 15 I believe.

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
That is true, they won't be able to sit back and do "nothing" on the development side of things with that many. You can only have so many people undeleting forums...

~Memzak~

~Memzak~ Avatar

May 2009
10 to 15?
Funny, I always imagined proboards as bigger than that...

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
~Memzak~ Avatar
10 to 15?
Funny, I always imagined proboards as bigger than that...

They don't manage their own servers (in terms of hardware.) They contract with the Planet for that. So that takes off a huge load. :P

newBookmarkLockedFalling