Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Moose

Moose Avatar

August 2005
Hey 'yall, it has been awhile! Anyway, I stumbled upon the site looking for how I did something in an old script, then I stumbled upon someone inquiring about something about another old script, and now here I am posting a topic in the cool Convention Center. ;)

Anyway, what is your favorite US state? Mine is California. I moved here on rotation from work, and it is a big improvement over the other two states I lived in, Pennsylvania and Maryland. It has mountains, desert, beach, technology, and just about anything you can think of. I moved to the part of Cali you wouldn't think of first when you thought of programmer, Los Angeles. Anyway, I may have the opportunity to do another rotation in Colorado or could be sent back to Baltimore or of course stay here in the long haul. I am originally from Philly, and that's where most of my family and friends are but, I like LA a lot more than Philly and Baltimore. Ideas on what you would do in my situation?

So what are your favorite states? Do you live there? Is being close to family and friends important to you and would have you live in a state you don't like as much?
Greg says:
Coding music...
Greg says:
Hmm...
Greg says:
I wouldn't rule it out. :P
Chris 3.0 [New features? Yes.] says:
:P
Greg says:
If you think about machine code it's a bunch of 1s and 0s
Anything is possible.
Greg says:
Yeah try to code Metallica
:P Yeah, I'll get right on that... right after I learn to fly.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I'll always love my home state of Minnesota, and not just because I'm from there. Of course, the fact that my family and friends are there plays a big role; it's home. However, I also love the weather, love the natural beauty of it. I miss it. But currently I reside in Washington which has slightly shittier weather (it's less extreme for one and I love the storms and blizzards of the upper midwest, and the drizzly rain gets tiresome at times), but it's even more beautiful and Seattle is an amazing city. I'm stationed in Bremerton (hoping to move off base to a house in Port Orchard, a neighboring town), but I've been all around the Puget Sound area as well as all around Seattle, and parts of Marysville and Everett (I have friends there which is why I originally wanted orders here).

Of course, while I personally detested LA for the time I spent there, I love San Diego and would also say that California is an awesome state. Apparently "perfect weather" is actually a thing.

Also, MOOSE! :D

Jim

Jim Avatar
Josh was here.

Studio Member

September 2005
I am fond of my homestate of Michigan, definitely a lot of beauty and there's of course the huge amounts of snow and the fresh water lakes :D.

I don't mind California, but I haven't spent a lot of time there by myself (it's always with family, so I feel that takes away from the experience). Hawaii is pretty cool too, but I think the price of things would become annoying.

Fuck Florida.

In your situation, I'd stick to where you enjoy being. I mean, flying is relatively inexpensive (compared to driving or the train), plus it's what, a five-ish hour flight from LA to philly?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Jim Avatar
I am fond of my homestate of Michigan, definitely a lot of beauty and there's of course the huge amounts of snow and the fresh water lakes :D.

I don't mind California, but I haven't spent a lot of time there by myself (it's always with family, so I feel that takes away from the experience). Hawaii is pretty cool too, but I think the price of things would become annoying.

Fuck Florida.

In your situation, I'd stick to where you enjoy being. I mean, flying is relatively inexpensive (compared to driving or the train), plus it's what, a five-ish hour flight from LA to philly?

I spent a little bit of time in Michigan and really enjoyed it. Same with Hawaii, but I spent the majority of my time intoxicated and it was my first time back in America after a deployment, so I'm biased.

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
Well, I've been to a good amount of states. Some of them I haven't thoroughly explored, but I've been there enough to get an opinion of it.

Minnesota - Loved and hated it. I lived in the wrong part of Minnesota back when I lived there. I lived in a town of 12,000 that was the biggest town for about 90 miles around us, the next biggest being Sioux Falls, SD. But if I was to of lived more northern, specifically towards Minneapolis, I would of loved it. There is a lot to do in Minneapolis. Additionally, Minnesota just looks beautiful, and although people consider to be a cold state, I found it livable.
Nebraska - As far as midwest states, I think this is probably one of the best. I was raised here as a child. Omaha wasn't necessarily the biggest city, but there was still a lot to do. They also had a pretty nice downtown area too. Additionally, I really liked Lincoln as well. It ws a nice quiet city that just had some fun things to do. As far as true Midwest middle states go, this one is the best.
South Dakota - Never a fan. The only place that had anything was Sioux Falls, and that din't strike me as exciting. Rapid City was fun though. They do have some nice parks however.
North Dakota - I personally like North better than South. It was a lot more beautiful, and Fargo and Grand Forks are pretty cool. It is also close to Canada.
Kansas - Uggh. I mean, it isn't bad. But I'm tired of Kansas. I live in the Kansas City area, and in Johnson County, everyone thinks they are like from the Orange County of the United States. There's a good amount of stuff to do in Kansas City (specifically on the Kansas side), but nothing changes around here really. Lawerence has some cool shops. Topeka is boring, and so is Wichita.
Missouri - The Kansas City side on Missouri is not as good. It seems like there is more white trash and less to do. I do like other Missouri cities though, like Columbia and St. Louis.
Texas - I haven't done a lot of exploring in Texas, but Dallas and Austin are both really cool cities. I feel like we always here about how the people from Texas are obnoxious though, and I can't say I disagree. At swim meets they always have to bring their big chairs and stuff.
Wyoming - Absolutely beautiful state with close to nothing to do really. Cool natural parks though.
Michigan - Another absolutely beautiful state. I feel like there are some really nice cities in Michigan too, but I wouldn't necessarily call it "exciting" unless you are into nature.
Rhode Island - Just an amazing little state. It's really peaceful and the locals are extremely nice. There is actually a lot of stuff to do in Rhode Island, yet it maintains its beauty.
Iowa - Eww. Nothing to do really around here, and it isn't exactly pretty either.

I have more states I could talk about, but I'm tired of typing. xD

Moose

Moose Avatar

August 2005
Yes, I fully intend on staying in Cali, just wanted to see what others would say. I don't really care much for PA or MD. People say they are green and beautiful, but Washington and Oregon destroyed that argument for me.
Greg says:
Coding music...
Greg says:
Hmm...
Greg says:
I wouldn't rule it out. :P
:P
Greg says:
If you think about machine code it's a bunch of 1s and 0s
Anything is possible.
Greg says:
Yeah try to code Metallica
:P Yeah, I'll get right on that... right after I learn to fly.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Quacker Jack Avatar
Well, I've been to a good amount of states. Some of them I haven't thoroughly explored, but I've been there enough to get an opinion of it.

Minnesota - Loved and hated it. I lived in the wrong part of Minnesota back when I lived there. I lived in a town of 12,000 that was the biggest town for about 90 miles around us, the next biggest being Sioux Falls, SD. But if I was to of lived more northern, specifically towards Minneapolis, I would of loved it. There is a lot to do in Minneapolis. Additionally, Minnesota just looks beautiful, and although people consider to be a cold state, I found it livable.
Nebraska - As far as midwest states, I think this is probably one of the best. I was raised here as a child. Omaha wasn't necessarily the biggest city, but there was still a lot to do. They also had a pretty nice downtown area too. Additionally, I really liked Lincoln as well. It ws a nice quiet city that just had some fun things to do. As far as true Midwest middle states go, this one is the best.

First of all, where in Minnesota were you? Second of all, how the fuck can you call Nebraska one of the best states in the midwest? I love Chris as much as everyone else, but...seriously?

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
Lucifer Avatar
Quacker Jack Avatar

First of all, where in Minnesota were you? Second of all, how the fuck can you call Nebraska one of the best states in the midwest? I love Chris as much as everyone else, but...seriously?

I meant like the interior midwest..... trust me, I'm not raving about Nebraska as much either. But I like it better than Iowa, Oklahoma, Kansas (actually I'm too harsh on Kansas it is probably like equal), South Dakota, Missouri.... may be just me frankly. I think Minnesota is better than Nebraska by far.

And Marshall, MN. Schwan's HQ is there.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Quacker Jack Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

I meant like the interior midwest..... trust me, I'm not raving about Nebraska as much either. But I like it better than Iowa, Oklahoma, Kansas (actually I'm too harsh on Kansas it is probably like equal), South Dakota, Missouri.... may be just me frankly. I think Minnesota is better than Nebraska by far.

I've heard of that place. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've been there at least once, but I honestly don't remember all the places in Minnesota I've visited for various reasons.

combo

combo Avatar

Official Member

August 2005
Moose Avatar
Yes, I fully intend on staying in Cali, just wanted to see what others would say. I don't really care much for PA or MD. People say they are green and beautiful, but Washington and Oregon destroyed that argument for me.

Greg crawled out of the woods too? holy shit; what's goin on buddy?? I'm Canadian, but i buy all my groceries and gas over the border in Calais Maine, so i guess Maine wins lol
"I'd decapitate him, then shit down his neck"

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
combo Avatar
Moose Avatar

Greg crawled out of the woods too? holy shit; what's goin on buddy?? I'm Canadian, but i buy all my groceries and gas over the border in Calais Maine, so i guess Maine wins lol

In all my years, I don't think I ever knew you were Canadian.

Or I just forgot.

abZebras

abZebras Avatar

ProNation

June 2008
Minnesota woop swag. I'm never going to end up leaving this state, but I'm okay with that.

Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack Avatar

ProNation

December 2007
Lucifer Avatar
Quacker Jack Avatar

I've heard of that place. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've been there at least once, but I honestly don't remember all the places in Minnesota I've visited for various reasons.

Don't worry it isn't too memorable. I actually hated living there, only because of how the closest thing to it was Sioux Falls, which was 90 minutes away.

combo

combo Avatar

Official Member

August 2005
Lucifer Avatar
combo Avatar

In all my years, I don't think I ever knew you were Canadian.

Or I just forgot.

Weird eh
"I'd decapitate him, then shit down his neck"

Vera

Vera Avatar

Official Member

February 2013
Putting my two cents in... I'm going to say Washington. Evergreen state. Rains a lot (Grew up in Seattle-area). Trees. Lakes. I just love it. Seattle is my settling city. I'm currently in California. I can't say whether I love it or not. Down south is amazing, but I can do without the heat sometimes and up North... well, in the current city I'm living in, I tell people I'm just waiting to graduate and I'm gone. However, I do love the diversity here. xD

Last Edit: Feb 17, 2013 3:18:32 GMT by Vera

newBookmarkLockedFalling