Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
For those of you who have seen The Hurt Locker, an EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposalman) is what the main character was. It's a rate in the Navy and we have some on board. Well, a guy in my shop helped some of them out with some stuff and they offered to let us play with their gear.

Unfortunately, no pictures or videos (yet; we're still out to sea and can't upload anything).

So first I got to get in the suit. It's about 80 pounds, very hot, and you have extremely limited mobility. But it does have a built in fan. After getting the suit on, they made me try to do a pull up. I did at LEAST 75% of one--better than I thought I'd do. The EOD behind me was screaming, "Get it!" when I got close, but I just couldn't quite finish it, so he helped me up. Then I got down and jogged a lap around one of the hangar bays with him before getting told to do push ups. I managed to get down on my hands and knees without embarrassing myself and proceeded to knock them out. I have a feeling he was just gonna let me keep going because I did like 10 and he didn't tell me to stop like the last guy, so I just quit and he says, "Roll on your back," which I did, "now get up." I knew it'd pretty much be impossible to just sit up, but I tried to, anyway. It was, in fact, impossible. I felt like a turtle, so I had to roll over on my side just to get up. Then he's like, "Go pick up that water bottle." So I had to stand real wide and bend over awkwardly to grab it. As soon as I got it, he says, "Now put it back down." Which I did. It's a lot harder than you'd think to pick up something from the ground. Like I said, limited mobility. But still, it was a pretty awesome experience.

THEN I got to drive the robot (and yes, they really do use XBOX controllers for certain models; this was one of them). Not only that, but I got to wear the cool glasses that have the camera built in instead of using the giant control briefcase thing (or cheating by just looking at the robot since in a real bomb defusal situation, they'd likely not be able to see the robot from where they're at--that's the point). Once I got used to the controls, I went and picked up one of the radios I work on (basically expensive walkie talkies) by intentionally grabbing the PTT (push to talk) button so the guy standing by it could make a radio check. Someone radioed back confused and he's like, "Oh, sorry. We're just doing a radio check...with a robot..." After that, I spun around and wizzed right past the guy's crotch and he shouts, "Do your worst!" So I grabbed the part of his pants between his legs and he laughed was like, "Now let go." Instead I hit reverse really hard and yanked the dude forward onto his knees. It was especially funny.

And that's my story. Apparently we're also set up to do some fast roping and repelling exercises at some point, too. I understand that just telling you about it doesn't do it justice, and even pictures and videos aren't quite like being there and doing it. But still, it was a pretty awesome experience and even though it's just part of their job, it's a rare thing for someone to get to experience.

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
WWWWWWWWWWWW

November 2005
This is pretty dope. How was this overlooked for so long.

I demand videos as soon as you port.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I don't have the videos, someone else does. I'm in port and I asked her to upload them, but apparently they take forever. There is a picture of me getting strapped into the suit, though.

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
WWWWWWWWWWWW

November 2005
Well, make sure you get them to upload it.

newBookmarkLockedFalling