Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
So, I got a sad message when I logged into Google Reader the other day. They've decided to close it down. :(

This means that I need a replacement for my feed reading. In the past, I would use SharpReader on my PC, but I decided I wanted something mobile that I could use from place to place AND so that my computer didn't need to be on to receive feed updates.

lifehacker.com/5990456/google-reader-is-getting-shut-down-here-are-the-best-alternatives

LifeHacker has provided a list of alternatives. Feedly is apparently the best replacement so far, but I haven't looked into if it has a mobile app.

Do any of you use Google Reader? If so, what're you going to use as a replacement?

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
I've got quite a few feeds on google reader. I'm waiting a few months for alternatives to mature before moving anywhere, I only want to do it once.

The biggest pain is that I've been using it as a backend for various apps, Reeder on OS X and Newsify on iOS. I'm hoping they both opt to allow the same replacement for Reader, so I can carry on with my current news-flow.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Simie Avatar
I've got quite a few feeds on google reader. I'm waiting a few months for alternatives to mature before moving anywhere, I only want to do it once.

The biggest pain is that I've been using it as a backend for various apps, Reeder on OS X and Newsify on iOS. I'm hoping they both opt to allow the same replacement for Reader, so I can carry on with my current news-flow.

So, Feedly just requires Google login and syncs them in the background... meaning that, thankfully, anything you view in Feedly gets marked as read in Google Reader. Requires minimal movement time.

newBookmarkLockedFalling