Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
WWWWWWWWWWWW

November 2005
My buddy Conrad performs most actions on his computer through Terminal in Fedora. I'd say about 80% of the tasks, he'd much rather type in the command, rather than point and click with the mouse.

I remember watching him in college say "oh shit, there's a typo on my website," log into Terminal, connect to his web server, locate the file, open it, make the necessary changes, save the file, and upload it, all in a matter of seconds. To me it seemed faster than going through multiple graphical user interfaces to do the same thing.

I can do your basic commands, but obviously need to reference the Google machine when I'm curious about more complex things like changing mouse sensitivity.

Are you more of a GUI user or do you do a lot of tasks in Terminal (Mac/Linux) or Cmd.exe (Windows)?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Remember that one time you taught me how to upload shit to a website using an FTP and all that jazz because I didn't know shit?

Clearly not a command prompt guy.

But like you, I know some shit, some tricks and stuff. I'm not that experienced, though. I wouldn't mind learning more commands. It seems really handy.

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
WWWWWWWWWWWW

November 2005
Oh yeah, back when you were going to make some sprites for an RPG haha.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
PC: Rarely use CMD. I use it to ping and that's it. :P

Unix: I do a lot via terminal. It's a LOT quicker. For example, to open something in dropdown... It's quicker for me to use cd, auto-complete, and "open ." than to open dropbox's folder and navigate down folders. :P

newBookmarkLockedFalling