Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
Making Your First Website
So, you’ve read a tutorial or two, understand a few things and think your read to make a webpage? Well, then I’m here to help you. This tutorial will cover the basics of designing and coding your first site as well as giving it finishing touches. I will also explain a few things that you may not know right now, but by the end of the tutorial you will.

Making a Webpage Without a Page Builder?!
So your sitting there ready for me tell you to go and download some big program which you will code on right? Wrong. All you need to make a webpage is a program you should already have: notepad. That’s right, that program you thought was useless. Notepad. First off, you need to tell notepad your making an HTML(hyper text markup language) document. So, follow these simple steps:

1. Open notepad
2. go to file>save as
3. there should be a dropdown for file types, choose all file types
4. now, type in what you want your page to be called, and after it put .html
5. heres an example: mypage.html

now, you have an html document. Now go to where you saved the html document and look for it. Now, right click on it and go to open with, and click on notepad. Now you can make your first page without a site builder or internet.

The Basic Skeleton of a Page
Well, as you may or may not already know the basic skeleton of a page looks like this:

<html>
<head>

</head>
<body>

</body>
</html>

Now, here’s what that all is for! <HTML> is just a backup code to say that we’re coding in html. Then, <head> is where we put things like scripts, CSS style sheets, and other stuff. But I won’t get into detail with that because those are whole new languages. Then <body> is where you put the bulk, or the content of your page.

Your Main Content
Now your ready to make your page! First things first. Get a good idea in your head what you want it to look like. This is the designing process. Now, your site will almost never turn out the way you want it to, unless your lucky or have really awesome skill. Now lets start your page out with a title.

<center><b><u>My First Page</u></b></center>

You now have text on your page that is centered, underlines, and bolded. Congratulations. :P

Now we can add font, and other cool stuff.

Hello. My name is Fredy. Hear me roar. One thing that cheese has in common with crackers is that blah blah blah…<br><br>

Paragraph number two here…blahblahblah

You get the idea. :P you can also add things in like pictures, font colors, and other things! Incase you don’t know how to do fonts, here’s a short lesson.

Customizing your Font

To customize font size, use this editing red:

<font size=4>

And to change color, again editing red:

<font color=green>

Of course there is more to fonts, but this is the basics.

More Basics
Another cool effect is changing the background. To do this, you modify the <body> tag. Here are two examples:

Changing to color:

<body bgcolor=red>

And changing it to a picture:

<body background=”URL HERE”>

In both examples, you change after the = signs. In example one, you are changing the background to a color, I chose red. In example two, you are changing it to a picture, which you have to put in a url for.

conclusion
In this tutorial, you have learned to make a basic text webpage. Hope you enjoyed it and stay tuned for more tutorials from me, fredy.

k

newBookmarkLockedFalling