Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005

Now, here's what I want to be custom. Trust me, this is no easy info center, but hey, challenge yourself. This is one that ould be truly called The Ultimate Info Center. Anyway, when there are no birthdays/events, I don't want that cell to be viewable. And, when no staff members or members are online, I don't want those cells to be shown. So, if there were members, but no staff, it would be just the member cell showing, not the staff. I want the forum stats to always be visible. I want a 1 pixel black border around all the info in each cell. And, I want the guests to be moved under an HR line under the users online. And the same for a legend in the staff online. And, I want the Titles(Users Online, Forum Statistics, etc) to be aligned left. Here's the extra forum info I want.

Total Categories
Total Boards
Total Boards Updated
Total Viewing In Boards
Member of the Month

I want the member of the month centered and under all that info. Maybe another HR line. Most of that stuff is in the picture made, but I'm making sure you know what I mean.

There. Now, my question is, is there anyone willing to help me make this? I'm not a JS scripter yet, so I can't make much yet. But, this will be a tough code to tackle I think and I will be learning JS. And as such, I want someone to help me code it. I know some stuff like variables and I undertsand if's and else's and such.

I have started it. That is, if making a copyright and the staff legend variables is a start.

Also, I may have some other ideas and such, depending on if I get someone to help me and their knowledge of JS. It would require basically taking everything from the default info center, and moving it all around.

Last Edit: Oct 19, 2005 0:00:34 GMT by Lucifer

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Wrong board, since how is it support?

Anyway, I wish you luck, and I tihnk you have me on AIM or MSN.... if not, add me and I can help you from time to time. Though, I suck at info centers. :P

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Sorry. I saw Joe's thread asking for help so I figured maybe it belonged there. And yeah, I've got you on MSN. I have no idea where to begin. Any tips. Like, how would I start this code off? Do things in codes necesarily have to go in order?

Last Edit: Oct 19, 2005 0:29:48 GMT by Lucifer

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Not really, but if you do this by looping through TD's, I recommend going like this. Go through the TD's, and grab the info as you go. First the Forum Stats, Then Usersonline, etc. MAke sure to check for Birthdays and Events while at it. Then, store them in variables. To check if they work, use document.write() with the variable. Also, make sure that it works in guest, admin, and user :P

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Yup, I will be trying that. Some features listed above may not be incorperated. It all depends on how big this ends up being. Here is a more accurate depiction:

But, seeing as that's really wide and forums usually shorten width, I'll either have to put the forum statistics on 6 lines instead of 3 or make an additional statistics cell like I originally planned. If the latter, I'll take the first section(boards, sub boards, and categories) and the 3rd section(posts, topics, members) and put them in there. I think that's what I'll have to do. Well, seeing as I'm not changing the events or bdays, would I need to really edit anything dealing with them?

Last Edit: Oct 19, 2005 1:03:19 GMT by Lucifer

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Only if you want to modify what they say. Also, staff online will be the biggest challenge.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
cddude229 said:
Only if you want to modify what they say. Also, staff online will be the biggest challenge.

Yup, I figured as much. So far, my plans are as follows for this:

1. Revamped For Statistics Cell
2. Additional Forum Statistics Cell
3. Split Users/Staff Online Into Two Cells
4. HR Line Seperating Member Count Online
5. Cell Names Aligned Left
6. Optional Extra Rank
7. Change Info Center Title

1. Basically, I'm changing the info in this cell and it's appearance.
2. Adding extra info into a cell below the main Forum Stats cell
3. Users Online has it's own cell and Staff Online has it's own cell.
4. This will have an HR line under the usernames and then under the line, it will say how many of each rank for the Staff cell, and how many members and guests in the User cell.
5. I'm just aligning "Users Online", "Forum Statistics", "Upcoming Events", etc to the left instead of center.
6. This will be a feature to toggle on or off if you have an extra rank that's a staff member. So, if you have the 3 basics and another, this will add it. If you don't have an extra, just leave it as No and it'll just display the main 3.
7. Where it says Info Center, you'll be able to change that to whatever you want it to say.

Thats for now. Then, after that and I'm better at JS, I'll make v2 Dynamic sort of. Collapsable Cells, Toggle whether or not you want images on the left, Member of the Month, View 10 Most Recent Posts, and possibly more things. I don't know yet though.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Those thigns are easy compared to staff online. Trust me. I could do them all before staff online, but everyone has specialties (and I suck at Info Centers >_<)

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Easy? I don't know. I mean, I'm adding info to the main Forum Stats, moving everything around. I'm basically taking the bare bones and working from scratch. Also, how do I declare the info center? Like, how do I make it so that the code knows that I'm modifying the info center rather than say, the main board or the header or whatever.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
You'd use the loops..... first,, you loop through the loops using a for(), then use an if() to match it using attributes for the info center (view the source to get them)

hpmad

hpmad Avatar

September 2005
Looks pretty nice, although the table is a little long though. Why not just combine staff and members online? (i'm looking at the second diagram right now). It might look a little better.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
hpmad said:
Looks pretty nice, although the table is a little long though. Why not just combine staff and members online? (i'm looking at the second diagram right now). It might look a little better.

It might, but I've always admired SSD's info center because of that feature. Besides, wait for v2 of this(God knows when that will be). I plan on making everything customizable. So you can make it as Dynamic or as Plain as you want. Lots of variables that means...

newBookmarkLockedFalling