Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
Ok Scorp ------- heyyyyyy yes u!

:P

i need some advice and some answers about photoshop.

to do with-
  • Head/Base Images
  • Patterns
  • Transparency
  • some other stuff

Last Edit: Nov 25, 2006 5:11:12 GMT by slip

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
A head should never be above 25px, unless you have something creative to add on. A base image should also always be smaller than the head image.

Patterns are to be avoided, unless you have a good use for them. For example, the strokes in my banner & head image, that was a pattern. That works.

Transparency should also be avoided if at all possible. Use solid backgrounds whenever you can.

Any other questions, just ask.
wat

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
ok first to do with transparency - i know that say i have a layer i want to make glossy then i add a white layer on top - overlay that and drop opacity to say 25% and that gives it a shine. But how do you make such perfect glossy headers as in the one if the pure crystal template? Its like perfect.

Another thing - if say you are adding a gradient overlay to a layer - i dont understand the logic behind adding the transparency stops where we choose the gradient colors - how shud u go abt that?

third, how do you add a pattern to the set of the ones i already have? and why can't pattern overlay & gradient overlay happen together?

Next, how do i accurately control direction of light - say as in direct the light beams - i have the LUCE filter for it but i never understand how it works - say for example in the background you have the sun shining and a silhouette in the foreground juxtaposed against the sun and so you want the rays of sunlight to shine across the border of the silhouette - how do i control the flow of light?

I have a lot of problem drawing pixelart like really small images - say 25x25 pixels - what i usually do is make it at 100x100 then cut the size to 25x25. But i wanna know how to make perfect pixel art cos i am in the process of making a map for a RPG game. help.

and i got more questions soon. :P

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
How to make a glossy effect like that? I'll have to write a tutorial on that. The process is really simple, but kinda hard to explain. I'll get to that sometime today. ;)

The transparency stops should be at the same position as the color stops. You can adjust the transparency for whatever spot you choose. Just think of different transparencies as different colors blending together. It's the same concept.

Patterns can work with gradient overlays. Just make sure that your object is about in the middle of the colors in the gradient, and lower the opacity of the entire gradient overlay. The pattern will blend through then. Remember, you can use a luminosity or multiply blend to get rid of colors in a pattern.

I have never heard of an LUCE filter. You're on your own there, sorry. :-/

Just zoom in and use a 1px pencil. That's the easiest way. ;)
wat

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
hmm.. thanks a lot.

i will have more questions soon.

one more thing - in the vista template how is it that the header image and footer image go all around the category? i mean i love that effect/code or watever. how does it go all the way around instead of on top n bottom only.

have a look at the new forum i am workin on: doremifa.proboards54.com

i used the stroke pattern thats there in my photoshop and used 5% opacity. its lookin nice but some ppl have said that overall the blue shades are not flowing well together. give me some idea on how to improve this please. and i'd love to do the thing u did wit the headers/footers where they go all around.

Last Edit: Nov 27, 2006 10:10:40 GMT by slip

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Search for my Tri-Image Category Splitter. That's the type of code that puts an image behind the category table. ;)

As for the other effect, your head image is WAAAAY too big. Try shrinking down the size of it a bit.
wat

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
lol thx +1 rep again!!

but i still need ur opinion on how to get the blue shades to flow well.

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
Try brightening the blue in the head/base images, and dimming the blue of the link colors. See what that does for you. :)
wat

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
ok I am working on that.

Tell me, one thing I have a lot of difficulty doing is merging two different images --- I mean i know I can Feather both images and merge, but I wanna know exactly how to using vector masks.

And what about using channels to extract exactly what you want from an image?

newBookmarkLockedFalling