Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
This tutorial will teach you how to make a simple, decent looking banner for your forum. This tutorial assumes the basic knowledge of PhotoShop 7. I do provide a few shortcuts for the less experienced.

1. Create a new document, with size 750 by 100. Have the background filled with any color; it doesn't matter which for now. I just chose white since it’s easy.

2. Rename the layer as "Border" or something similar to that.

3. Create a new Layer. (Shift + Ctrl + N) Layer> New> Layer. Name this layer "Background" Move this layer under "Border".

4. Fill this layer with white, and reset your colors. (D)

5. Now go to the clouds effect. Filter> Render> Clouds.

6. Leave that layer alone, and select the text tool. (T) Select somewhere near the edge of the picture, and add the text you want. Add as much as you like also, and in any color. I chose red for this, but your color doesn't matter now. I recommend using an easily readable font, I chose Arial.

7. Select "Border" Next, you need to select the Polygonal Lasso Tool (L). Cut out a border like you want it to be, but leave the text on the border. Hold "Shift" to get a straight line at 45 degree angles.

8. Press "Delete" when you're done. Press "Ctrl + D" to deselect. Select the two colors you want to gradient to have an effect of when you're done (for the border.) I used "DBDBDB" and "C4C4C4".

9. Right click "Border" and select "Blending Options..." Go to "Gradient Overlay"

10. If it doesn't already have the effect of the colors you want, click the Black to White bar, and select the far left gradient with black and white to get your colors.

11. Change the "Opacity" to "85%" Make sure "Style" is "Linear" If not, change it to it. Also, change "Angle" to "90"

12. Go to "Stroke" and set change the color to "000000" (black) and set the "Size" to "1" Click "Bevel and Emboss" and change "Size" to "3" Click "Ok" to save this.

13. Right click your text and go to Blending Options again.

14. Select "Color Overlay" and change it to the color you want the text to be. Next, click "Bevel and Emboss" Leave that as it is.

15. Finally, select "Stroke" and change it to black and "1" again. Click "Ok".

16. Now, create another new layer, and label this "Color Frame" Put this below "Border" and above "Background"

17. Change this layer to "Color" and fill it with the color you want the background to be.

That's it you’re done. There are plenty of variants that you can make, so try different styles for each step.

Last Edit: Oct 29, 2006 23:56:14 GMT by Chris

crazynarutard

crazynarutard Avatar

Senior Studio Member

August 2005
uh...it's ok

:: rate 0 ::

XD :P

no seriously, this is a good tut for the beginners ^_^

- ± T à z ²

- ± T à z ² Avatar
Tadaima!