Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Ok, I watched a special on that last night on G4TV. It was kinda cool. But what bugs me is how ignorant these politicians are. They're saying it's too easy for children to get ahoold of adult games, but it's not. I know for a fact that game stores will not sell you an M rated game without a parent or guardian with you if you are under 18(or 17, one of the two). So that means that the only way children can get these are if the parents buy it for them. And they are labeled with their rating and on the back, it gives descriptions of the games content such as violence, sexual content, drug use, etc. Just like a movie. So it's the parents' fault that kids are getting these games because the parents are the ones ignoring the ratings. So I think this whole thing is stupid.

Last Edit: Aug 24, 2005 20:05:44 GMT by Lucifer

Nicola

Nicola Avatar

Official Member

September 2005
Yeah.. I saw most of it last night but fell asleep during a commerical. >_<

However, they let me buy Resident Evil 4 by myself and I look no where near the age 17..

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Well, you're at a bad store. I tried to buy a game called...uhh...I forget, an old PC game with Darkness in the name. It's like a samura RTS. Anyway, they wouldn't let me buy it. My suggestion is that they make it manditory that you must have an ID validating your age in order to buy an M rated game. And maybe a fine if you are not carded. Otherwise, they can't do much unless they want an angry mob of gamers ready to firebomb D.C. XP

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
They should just make stores enforce their game ratings more strongly. Making games rated AO (essentially banning them) is just stupid.

Besides, what's going to desensitize a kid more? Violence or sex? I can blow heads off in RE4, but if it had any nudity in it I guess I'd be scarred for life.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Nudity doesn't scar kids, seeing their parents having sex does. :o

Games don't harm kids mentalities, regardless of what these ignorant politicians want you to believe. It's just crap.

Nicola

Nicola Avatar

Official Member

September 2005
Besides, what's going to desensitize a kid more? Violence or sex? I can blow heads off in RE4, but if it had any nudity in it I guess I'd be scarred for life.

I think he meant because they're like.. Ugly villager people. XD

Games don't harm kids mentalities, regardless of what these ignorant politicians want you to believe. It's just crap

Actually I heard on the news not long ago that a boy stabbed his baby brother because he got furious by dying to many times in The Incredibles..

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
That's the kid's own fault, not the game's. It's also his fault for playing a crappy movie-based game, too.

And I was being sarcastic about the nudity part. My point was that violence is more desensitizing.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
That's retarded. It's not the games fault, it's because the kid had a temper problem. He was too frustrated. He could've been doing something like losing while playing basketball and done the same thing. It has nothing to do with the game. Besides, this was The Incredibles, a little kid game. Obviously it wasn't the game content so they have a losing argument.

Edit to SO: Oh...my bad... :-X

Last Edit: Aug 24, 2005 23:39:14 GMT by Lucifer

Nicola

Nicola Avatar

Official Member

September 2005
Oh.. Yeah.. You guys are right then, I admit I'm wrong.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Oh boo hoo.... our kid saw sex in a video game when he's only 14 yet he got some random girl at their school to give him head in the bathroom! Boo hoo.... He's scarred for life by that video game![/sarcasm]

Oh jeese. Come on. What the f**k are they thinking? A required 7th grade class at my local jr. high is a sex ed class. They practice putting condom's on bananas. (I don't go to that school though :P)

Politician 1: We can't allow sex in M rated games that their parents have to buy for them!
Politician 2: You're absolutely right! Especially since we allowed that sex ed class in 7th grade!

Last Edit: Aug 25, 2005 0:36:53 GMT by Chris

tenkabuto

tenkabuto Avatar

January 1970
lucifer said:
Nudity doesn't scar kids, seeing their parents having sex does. :o

Games don't harm kids mentalities, regardless of what these ignorant politicians want you to believe. It's just crap.
Its Hillary Clinton, the lesbian on a uprising. ;)

I also saw the show too, it was so cool. With all the footage they showed.. too bad I wasnt home alone. XD Seriously though, that show corrupted more minds than the games themselves. Think of all the lil(er) kids (one year younger than me) that were hoping to wathc their xPlay, but instead saw pixelated tits.. not to mention the portion of kids that got "caught" watching something like that.

I was raising little timmy like a "professional;" and I never intended to have him play these games (boo-hoo) how could you sell this.. that.. CRAP!?

Jamie85

Jamie85 Avatar

Studio Member

August 2005
I've never been able to get games over my age. Heck, I was refused Mafia (15) 3 times back when I'd just turned 15! Luckily I got ID not long after and now I have no problem getting them :)

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
:P

I went to by an M rated game once and they didn't ask me for an ID, but they asked the 16 year old after me for his ID on the same game. >_>

newBookmarkLockedFalling