Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Team Studio

Team Studio Avatar

Administrator

June 2005
Written By Xylish
Please do not repost this article without prior permission

It's not really a article..but I'll just ramble on..>.<

Yes, everyone wants to stand on that big stage: where you will be praised and hailed for being the most successful administrator of a well designed graphics forum. They think they can find happiness and pride over that achievement where in a actual fact: you cannot.
Because you're using your own time where you can read, watch the television or do any other meaningful things without having to log in the internet, into your own forum and sort out the "paperworks" like today's C.E.Os without a secretary.

You have to organize the staff's needs and wants, the member's needs and wants, create new templates, communicate with the members, fill in requests, get "in trend" of the latest demands in the Proboards community etc.

Not only that, you have to be skilled yourself. Being a admin requires your staff and members to look up to you and respect you. Otherwise, the whole community falls apart.

I think that's all I can think of..if you give me any other ideas, I may expand it further...>.<

Last Edit: Jun 26, 2006 22:20:20 GMT by Chris

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
You forgot that, if you're only skilled in graphics, then you'll fail. QUICKLY. You need someone who is a good/decent coder too accompany you, because personally, I hate design sites that use my codes unless it was made for them.

Spektral

Spektral Avatar

July 2009
cddude229 said:
You forgot that, if you're only skilled in graphics, then you'll fail. QUICKLY. You need someone who is a good/decent coder too accompany you, because personally, I hate design sites that use my codes unless it was made for them.

Harsh. :P
I say it's all the looks. Looks good, it pwns. Looks bad, it sucks. Doesnt matter if the coding is superb unless it's put to good use.

But yeah being an admin isn't as great as it seems. Until you have 5 other admins to do the work for you:P

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
:P

Take here for example. I was talking with someone once, and they said the graphics are only average, but the coding was superb, so he joined... of course, it was another coder. >_>

nooki

nooki Avatar

July 2006
Lol.
Nice one joe...I agree with joe and CD. Perhaps combine both :D

Luke

Luke Avatar

August 2005
Hard? I wouldn't say hard.

Moose

Moose Avatar

August 2005
luke said:

I take it you haven't admined a major design site before. Trust me it is very hard. First of all it takes months upon months of dedication, some solving disputes, doing some dirty work such as coding or graphics, and proving yourself worthy. Then you can gain enough trust to become moderator, then work well some more and get gmod and finally you take a huge leap and become administrator. Being admistrator of the second biggest design site and making one critcal mistake I know how difficult it is. Everyone is watching you and your mistakes it cost me my administrator spot at first. I however did gain my administrator spot back but the dent between myself and the other administrators was never fully healed which left me prone to leaving. Forums get boring and not having the main account can make it hard when correcting problems. I didn't agree with the other administrators a lot which spelled trouble for me as an administrator. I find the smaller forum you admin the easier such as Astral Genesis. That's my two cents.
Greg says:
Coding music...
Greg says:
Hmm...
Greg says:
I wouldn't rule it out. :P
Chris 3.0 [New features? Yes.] says:
:P
Greg says:
If you think about machine code it's a bunch of 1s and 0s
Anything is possible.
Greg says:
Yeah try to code Metallica
:P Yeah, I'll get right on that... right after I learn to fly.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I agree with Moose. Smaller are easier to administrate, until you forget about them cause of a larger mroe active forum. >_>;; Which I do... a lot.

Llanilek

Llanilek Avatar
Former Elite Mod

Dedicated Studio Member

October 2005
i think your right in some ways joe... maybe thats why pwp failed to become greater after you left... there was only me and all i could do was design and not very well at that .. i could code php but not javascript and since GV and Eichi left it was me all alone and so therefore i believe that this article is so true.. well written joe

Luke

Luke Avatar

August 2005
moose said:
luke said:

I take it you haven't admined a major design site before. Trust me it is very hard. First of all it takes months upon months of dedication, some solving disputes, doing some dirty work such as coding or graphics, and proving yourself worthy. Then you can gain enough trust to become moderator, then work well some more and get gmod and finally you take a huge leap and become administrator. Being admistrator of the second biggest design site and making one critcal mistake I know how difficult it is. Everyone is watching you and your mistakes it cost me my administrator spot at first. I however did gain my administrator spot back but the dent between myself and the other administrators was never fully healed which left me prone to leaving. Forums get boring and not having the main account can make it hard when correcting problems. I didn't agree with the other administrators a lot which spelled trouble for me as an administrator. I find the smaller forum you admin the easier such as Astral Genesis. That's my two cents.

Well that coming from you Moose, I gusse I have to belive you. But I really haven't had a chance to do that sort of important job, I wish I could. :-/

~*Moonshadow*~

~*Moonshadow*~ Avatar

Official Member

December 2005
I wouldn't know anything about running a graphics board, but I would have to assume (even without reading your comments) that it's hard. As Bucket o' Splooj said, it has to look immaculate if you want it to become great. To me, that would be the hardest part....

I like running my little Star Wars board, though. :) It makes me happy inside.

"In space, all warriors are cold warriors." - General Chang, Klingon Chief-of-Staff

newBookmarkLockedFalling