Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Designing A Proboard Skin - Part I Choosing the right colors

This will be a continued article, meaning that I will be submitting another part every so often. The first topic I'll be covering is Colors.

Let me start of by saying there is no perfect color scheme. Everyone has there own preferences. You will never make everyone perfecctly happily.

A good color scheme is easy on the eyes, matches, has more then one color, and is well balenced. Also, never use pitch black or the lightest white anywhere
on your forum (except for borders, text, etc.). If you want to use black, then use a lighter black, ecspecially for the background. A pitch black background is one of the worst mistakes you can make designing a forum.

Now, about what I said about having more then one color. What that means is that you can have the nicest shades of red ever, but if all you use for your forum is just red (or any color) it usually comes out overwhelming. Sometimes just one shade will work, but very rarly. The best way to go is pick two main colors that compliment each other and base your whole forum on them.

A good color scheme also has contrtast (thats why its smart to have two different colors). This is usually accomplished by having a dark bacgkround and lighter colored boards. But sometimes you can get good contrast/balence by having a lighter baased background and darker boards.

Text. Text color is the most important color you will chose. This is the text that has to be read on every single post on your forum. Sometimes opposite colors will work (like a white background and black text) but usually if you take your window color and make it alot darker or lighter it will turn out nice.

Links are next. Links can be the hardest to chose sometimes. Links shouldn't stand out too much, but they shouldn't be the same as your text color. If you are reading a post you should easily be able to tell whats a link and what isn't. The link color you chose will be all over you forum and it needs to look good against every background color its on. The same goes with staff names, they shouldn't stand out way too much and they should also go nicely with your forum color.

Picking colors can be very time consuming. Sometimes you'll think you have an awesome color
scheme but no one will like it, and you'll have to start over. But remember, it doesn't all have to be done at once. Its okay to slowly modify and perfect your forum. Creating a skin takes time, and no one part should be done all at once.

Tips:
  • While you are working on a color scheme
    constantly ask others what they think. It is
    vital to have others opinions.

• Try using this order when creating a color scheme
    • Background
    • Links
    • Window Colors
    • Text
    • Title and Category Bars
    • Category and Title Text
    • The rest of the colors

• Try something unique, too many forums all look
    the same.

• Its best to have a graphic program open when picking colors. So you can selecct a color, and it will tell you a hex code. You won't get far just using the proboards pop-up colors. There are lots of sites listing Hex colors which can also be of use.

• Take your time, relax, don't let yourself get frustrated.

By 17Godzilla

Thanks to 17Godzilla for submitting this article and another one. My apologies on how long it took to get them up.

Last Edit: Nov 2, 2005 13:04:43 GMT by Chris

crazynarutard

crazynarutard Avatar

Senior Studio Member

August 2005
remove the quote cd, harder to read...just put the text between hr tags.

btw Godzilla, goodjob !! ;D

~*Moonshadow*~

~*Moonshadow*~ Avatar

Official Member

December 2005
I'm just wondering.... Why is a pitch black background such a huge mistake? ??? I know it's kinda boring, but....

"In space, all warriors are cold warriors." - General Chang, Klingon Chief-of-Staff

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Because its bland, uncreative, unoriginal. It looks good, but designers probably think its bad. I don't really know. :P I'm a coder.

17Godzilla

17Godzilla Avatar

Dedicated Member

October 2005
moonshadow said:
I'm just wondering.... Why is a pitch black background such a huge mistake? ??? I know it's kinda boring, but....

a pitch black background is really hard on the eyes. It is also harder to make images that Blend nicely out if you are using a pitch black background.

In real life, every color is a little tainted, which accidentally makes things easier on the eyes. A less than 100% black ink, a less than 100 brightness paper...

Remember Zanmato Design? It had a close-to-black-but-not-pitch-black background and it had the best skin in all of proboards (No offense Studio Zero)

None of the images are there, but take a look:
www.zdesign.proboards3.com

enalia.proboards92.com/index.cgi

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
I'd hope after two years, they got their answer. :P Oh, and...
In real life, every color is a little tainted, which accidentally makes things easier on the eyes. A less than 100% black ink, a less than 100 brightness paper...

You're telling me that a computer which generates these colors isn't real life? That it generates these "100%" colors, which reality can't? How does that work?

Last Edit: Aug 13, 2007 18:49:21 GMT by Aaron

17Godzilla

17Godzilla Avatar

Dedicated Member

October 2005
derfleurer said:

You're telling me that a computer which generates these colors isn't real life? That it generates these "100%" colors, which reality can't? How does that work?

Lmao, I haven't been here in a while.

Ok, you just want to argue lol.

Objects found in nature are not 100% brightness (except maybe the sun)
enalia.proboards92.com/index.cgi

tcm

tcm Avatar

Studio Member

January 2008
derfleurer said:

Magic =P

I guess he meant it's not as tainted as colors are in nature.

IMO light is the least tainted of all natural things, and the monitors work by emitting light. ???

XzX

XzX Avatar

Dedicated Member

May 2008
This is really usefull for the beginers who want a good quality skin.

stoner
It gives you a step by Step guide!

JD

JD Avatar

June 2008
This is old, but can definately help some beginners. I think somebody should adapt this to contain other fields of a PBS skin. Perhaps i'll look into it... Also, shouldn't this be in Graphics tuts?

Tobias

Tobias Avatar

Dedicated Member

November 2006
Aaron Avatar

Find an all black image, turn off all your lights, and look at your monitor. Still see the screen? It's not 100% black either.
#intj (Mastermind)^

effyochicken

effyochicken Avatar

May 2009
Black has a nothingness to it so you can't really look at it. You're eyes simply scan around and run right smack into whatever else is on the page, which really doesn't feel good.

What's even harder to look at is pure contrasts, like bright red and blue, or black backgrounds with white text/borders.

Jesse

Jesse Avatar
Just a mother doing graphic designing!

May 2007
I like how this is setup for beginners, but the other fighting over the color thing is a little weird to me because I'm not understanding the difference between nature and computer colors. They all seem the same to me, but that maybe because my color vision is kind of messed up. lol.
I don't do graphics anymore! Leave me alone about it!

~Memzak~

~Memzak~ Avatar
Inquire never, so always need elephants.

May 2009
wow, I just realized that my site's colors are very bad...

too bad the site is dead, so it won't really matter for me to change it...

newBookmarkLockedFalling