Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Aaron, the author of this article, no longer endorses the content within

Let's start by defining technology: "The use of our knowledge, tools, and skills to solve practical problems and extend human capabilities". Technology can be seen as early as the dawn of man. By simply making use of the objects around him---sticks, rocks, the like---man was able to overcome his physical limitations...able to hunt and kill animals much more physically adept...

Technology...to put it simply we were able to take on actions that would otherwise takes thousands of years of evolution to accomplish. But is this a good thing? The more technology advances the less demand there is on the human body. And thus...could it be possible that the human race is now devolving? We've developed so many machines that do so much for us. Many people have gotten to the point where if they can't find the remote they won't even bother getting up to change the channel on the television! Worse yet technology is being innovated on a daily basis now. In a matter of years we've gone from walking miles upon miles to arrive at a destination to driving one mile to pick up bread and milk. So you can only imagine the world 100 years from now. Or even 10. We'll be so technologically dependant we won't even be able to make the technology anymore (the irony is killing me :P). So what then? We build robots to do our bidding before this time comes? And why? Just to allow ourselves to dwindle further into nothingness? And even without these robots we'd just be forced to work harder for a few years only to have the cycle repeat itself. Let's face it people. If we don't do something soon it'll be over for us. Evolution doesn't seem to be a factor anymore.

Now let's revisit the definition: "The use of our knowledge, tools, and skills to solve practical problems and extend human capabilities".

Are we really extending human capabilities? Sure we can go farther faster, we can lift thousands of pounds with the movement of a few levers, we can prepare a meal in a matter of minutes...but as these so called "extensions" advance, our natural ones deplete. Hence my note of devolution.

Technology needs to be controlled. And to do that we need to develope a balance.

Last Edit: Nov 30, 2009 23:09:44 GMT by Josh

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
My comments on this are fairly simple....

There are movies that express the same thing as this. The Matrix Series, iRobot, etc. Technology IS over running us. But we havn't perfected technology yet. For example, we havn't created machines to hand make everything we use. If you see something near you, chances are it says "Made in Taiwan" or "Made in China", etc. We still have people making the things, but they're mainly "Third-world countries", while we're the "First-world". But is the first-world so much greater that we make the third-world do the work?

Sure, we have the power and weaponry, and some awesome technology, but why make them do the work then? hmm?

Arucard

Arucard Avatar
I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost, that hides in the night

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
True that Technology has made some advances. I dont think we need to get a control on it yet. We should just keep an eye on what we do. like chris says why make machines to do our work? If we do that, then that would be the working man or women out of work and then technology would "take" over. I think if we dont creat certain things and watch what we do then everything should be well balance.

17Godzilla

17Godzilla Avatar

Dedicated Member

October 2005
Well I don't know about you but I'm not going to be the one step down and stop using my car, computer, fridge, and other technology.

Yeah its a good thing. It's just that we humans are so lazy we just waste all our free time given to us by technology.

And you are being very general. There are still millions of very smart hard working people out there. The world isn't a bunch of zombies yet.

Robots would be a good thing as well. If we can advance them enough humans will never have to work again. The robots can make our food, deliver it, build and maintain each other.... now that would be awesome! More time to watch T.V and be depressed!
enalia.proboards92.com/index.cgi

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
I'll give ya $5 to destroy this since it keeps popping up on Google. xp

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Keep your money and listen to my comment since this was just bumped.

I'm gonna go ahead and skip the main message of the article and criticize something else. Devolving? Impossible. Literally. You cannot devolve as if there's some goal or endpoint. Evolution is constant forward progress. Yes, physically we may be depriving ourselves because of technology, but we're mentally stronger than ever, and it was our mental prowess that allowed us to survive when we otherwise wouldn't have. I'm not saying we aren't becoming "worse", but we can't devolve. Just because our natural abilities are "depleting" doesn't mean we're "devolving", because they're only "depleting" because it's no longer necessary. Just like some animals became smaller or have vestigial limbs. It's not because they "devolved". It's because they found more use for certain things over others and some things just weren't necessary anymore based on the world we live in now.

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
The fact that this article is a load of bollocks is kinda why i'm asking for it to go, hun.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Haha, fair enough. :P

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
Kind of a petty request, I guess. So could I just get a "The author of this article no longer endorses its content?" Right above where the article begins, so people like Luci don't think i'm still a nutter? =p

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Done. :P

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
Aww it's all bold and shiz. Das awesome. <3