Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
trackstar said:
wat is dis

I'd recommend reading the stickies in this board for more information. :)

17Godzilla

17Godzilla Avatar

Dedicated Member

October 2005
Wow, that is really deep. But alot of Religion is based on facts as well. Many Christians become Christians because they believe there is more evidence for Christianity then atheism.

You're lieing to yourself if you say the religion is all faith, and science is facts. Believing that we all evolved from monkeys takes alot of faith to believe.

All of life is based on faith. Faith that the world really is round, that there really is a place called Japan even though I've never been there, that the chair I'm sitting on won't collapse while I'm in it.

You can't go through life waiting for some perfect evidence for God, because there isn't perfect evidence for everything.

And lets say there is a God, and he desperately wants you to come to him, but he wants you to come out of faith, not out of some miracle. He wants you to chose to believe in him, not have to because of overwhelming evidence. What can God do to show you? Are you even being fair? Look around you, everything points to a creator.

Religion, in the case of Christianity, is choosing to believe God and acting on it. The choice doesn't have to come entirely out of faith though, God doesn't expect that, he's entirely Just.

Think about it.
enalia.proboards92.com/index.cgi

Kahless™

Kahless™ Avatar
Coding noob

October 2005
Ockham's Razor is a theory that says All things being equal, the explanation with the least assumptions is probably the correct explanation., now whats more plausable, that there is some all powerful being that created everything from nothing and chose to give absolutly no evidence of his existance or that there is no god? The answer seems obviouse to me.

Last Edit: Sept 4, 2006 22:40:42 GMT by Kahless™
"In the end, we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." Martin Luther King

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
17godzilla said:
Look around you, everything points to a creator.

No it doesn't.

17Godzilla

17Godzilla Avatar

Dedicated Member

October 2005
kahless said:
Achems Razor is a theory that says All things being equal, the explanation with the least assumptions is probably the correct explanation., now whats more plausable, that there is some all powerful being that created everything from nothing and chose to give absolutly no evidence of his existance or that there is no god? The answer seems obviouse to me.

You can word it however you like... Let me rephrase it for you.

now whats more plausable, that there is some all powerful being that created everything from nothing and choses to give people free will and choice instead of making humans robots, or that the universe was created from an explosion and the earth slowly evolved from dust, and somehow all this order just appear out of chaos and that no one is responsible for there actions and nothing matters cause when you die you die? The answer seems obviouse to me.

Last Edit: Sept 4, 2006 22:44:18 GMT by 17Godzilla

Kahless™

Kahless™ Avatar
Coding noob

October 2005
Well when you omit facts and plausable theorys and add in alittle bs of your own you can make any thing convincable
"In the end, we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." Martin Luther King

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
17godzilla said:
kahless said:
Achems Razor is a theory that says All things being equal, the explanation with the least assumptions is probably the correct explanation., now whats more plausable, that there is some all powerful being that created everything from nothing and chose to give absolutly no evidence of his existance or that there is no god? The answer seems obviouse to me.

You can word it however you like... Let me rephrase it for you.

now whats more plausable, that there is some all powerful being that created everything from nothing and choses to give people free will and choice instead of making humans robots, or that the universe was created from an explosion and the earth slowly evolved from dust, and somehow all this order just appear out of chaos and that no one is responsible for there actions and nothing matters cause when you die you die? The answer seems obviouse to me.

That theory is obviously flawed, or isn't applicable in this situation.

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
What can God do to show you? Are you even being fair? Look around you, everything points to a creator.

How do you go from saying there isn't perfect evidence for anything to saying "everything points to a creator?" I'd go on to critique your entire post but I think that alone makes your argument fall to pieces. ;)

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Arguments are valid and plausible for every side. Its just which people believe in more and which they choose to follow. Programmers/scripters/coders tend to be atheists. Why? Its how they think.

I had a long talk with Zero Tolerance about this once; we came to an agreement. We are atheists because coding has taught us a different style of thinking which made us not believe in a god.

You may be a religious person, you may not. Its all choice and can be based on how you were raised too.

Last Edit: Sept 5, 2006 15:41:41 GMT by Chris

Kahless™

Kahless™ Avatar
Coding noob

October 2005
Chris no offence but that theory is highly flawed, I have been an atheist ever since I learnt to think for myself, that was long before I ever went on the internet, aaron I know is the same, its not really coding that does it, Id have to say that it was to do with having inteligence to accept your existance without some all powerful mythical being watching over you, when we accept our reality and decide that thinking for ourselves instead of letting some paper thats over 2000 years old do it for us is what we want then we tend to become atheists. want me to go on?

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
But you should also be understanding of the other side. I believed in God (I was not devoted in any way though) up until I was 10-11 I believe. (About the time I started HTML)

I will admit, you're right on the fact that it may not be the sole reason. But to be able to comprehend coding easily can be one of those things that makes you feel that way. My theory is not full-proof, nor probably correct. But we both agree'd, that coding and atheism fell together in some way.

17Godzilla

17Godzilla Avatar

Dedicated Member

October 2005
cddude229 said:
We are atheists because coding has taught us a different style of thinking which made us not believe in a god.

Thats a load of crap. I've been programming since I was 10, I believe in God.

derfleurer said:
What can God do to show you? Are you even being fair? Look around you, everything points to a creator.

How do you go from saying there isn't perfect evidence for anything to saying "everything points to a creator?" I'd go on to critique your entire post but I think that alone makes your argument fall to pieces. ;)

I was saying that even though there is not perfect evidence for anything, there is still lots of proof that a creator exits. My point is that there is plenty of evidence, and you shouldn't expect some kind of miracle to convert.

Please try and rip apart everything else I said, I don't mind argueing.

If you have time read this

www.proofgodexists.org/anthropic_principle.htm

Or go to www.proofgodexists.org and pick your own articles.

Last Edit: Sept 7, 2006 0:02:31 GMT by 17Godzilla

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
17godzilla said:
cddude229 said:
We are atheists because coding has taught us a different style of thinking which made us not believe in a god.

Thats a load of crap. I've been programming since I was 10, I believe in God.

I don't think coding affects it, but perhaps people who can understand and learn to code with more ease than others have a form of thinking in a similar manner. Now, let's use Logic for an example. Say coding takes a large amount of logic to understand and perhaps thinking that there is no God is more logical (it's an example, not an attack, so bear with me). Then it would make perfect sense that coders tend to be Atheists.

derfleurer said:

I was saying that even though there is not perfect evidence for anything, there is still lots of proof that a creator exits. My point is that there is plenty of evidence, and you shouldn't expect some kind of miracle to convert.

Nope, not one shred of evidence whatsoever pointing at a creator. Chances are, a lot of what is "unexplained" is actually explained and proven by science, but people don't know about it.

If you have time read this

www.proofgodexists.org/anthropic_principle.htm

Or go to www.proofgodexists.org and pick your own articles.

The first one has absolutely no credibility for the following opening quote:

"The Anthropic Principles point out that there are over one hundred variables to this Universe, that would have made life as we know it impossible, if they were even slightly different. Either this Universe had to be finely tuned to the conditions that make the evolution of life possible, or there have to be googolplexes of Universes."

It is obviously suggesting that because the chances are small, it's obviously impossible without help or a creator. That is utter ludicrousy. No matter how small the chances, there is still a chance. Just because it happened to occur doesn't make it any more impossible or any more likely that it was a creator instead.

Edit: You said pick articles, so I'll pick a few.

Click: There is scientific explainations for these occurences. There is nothing magical, spiritual, or otherwise about them.

Click: It works because people believe it works. It has nothing to do with prayer. Besides, prayer is asking for a definitive outcome, not for "wounds to heal faster". They ask for them to go away completely, if anything. It's junk science.

Click: The supposed "best argument at all" is that because Heaven is paradise, it must mean that animals live forever in Heaven and God exists. You can't say "[Blank 1] exists because the book that says it does says [blank 2], so that must mean this has to happen to make it true."

Last Edit: Sept 7, 2006 1:17:24 GMT by Lucifer

17Godzilla

17Godzilla Avatar

Dedicated Member

October 2005
It is obviously suggesting that because the chances are small, it's obviously impossible without help or a creator. That is utter ludicrousy. No matter how small the chances, there is still a chance. Just because it happened to occur doesn't make it any more impossible or any more likely that it was a creator instead.

Would you bet your soul on a 1/100000000 chance?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
17godzilla said:

Would you bet your soul on a 1/100000000 chance?

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. It's not betting if I have no chance of losing. You believe in God, so that seems like it'd be such a quandry for me since you think you are right. I don't believe in God, so it's nothing. Let me put it in perspective.

Would you bet your soul that, even though there is a 1/100000000 chance of it, that a dinosaur won't come and eat you? Of course not, you know a dinosaur most certainly wouldn't come out of nowhere, but my silly belief says it will. Is it exactly threatening to you? I would hope not.

By the way, I edited my previous post.

Edit: Oh yeah, and that example (would you bet your sould [...]) you gave is one of the main reasons I absolutely hate Christianity. You are trying to scare me into something. No, I don't believe you were trying to convert me, but that you threatened me as an example, rather than providing facts and information. You tried to get your point across by scaring me with what might happen if I'm wrong.

Last Edit: Sept 7, 2006 1:22:01 GMT by Lucifer

newBookmarkLockedFalling