Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
We've all heard the saying "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me", but is this saying necessarily true? Or is it just a parent’s way of getting kids to ignore bullies calling them names?

From personal experience, I have felt the pain that emotions can bring. Being human, I've also felt the physical pain that life offers. But there are differences between the two. Everyone (except for people born not being able to feel pain) experiences physical pain in some way, shape, or form. Emotional pain, on the other hand, is only felt to the extreme by certain people. Some people try to ignore it; others hide it away in their bodies. The effects of physical pain are obvious by looking at a person’s scars and injuries. The effects of emotional pain are seen in a person’s day to day life in the way that they act.
One big difference between the two is the time span. How long does physical pain last? A couple of minutes? A couple of days? A couple of weeks? Years? Ok. So years is a long time for physical pain. But consider this: Emotional pain is in your life forever, like it or not. Even if you forget about it for a while, once you remember it, it impacts you again. If you aren't understanding what I'm saying, I'll give you an example. You are riding on a bike, and you fall and split your leg. You have to get stitches, the wound heals after a couple of weeks, and you have a scare, but you’re ok. Your best friend is murdered. Will you forget this in a couple of weeks? Will you be left with a little scare or be impacted for life? Something tells me you aren't going to forget anytime soon.
In my life, I have gone through two abuse situations. One was physical. The other, emotional. In the physical one, I felt the pain, and I got angry at the person. But during that whole situation, I wasn't thinking about my pain, I was thinking about the fact that my mom wasn't happy in life. In the other situation, the emotional one, I was always thinking about my pain. My emotional pain was depression and thoughts of suicide. It lasted two years, and I almost killed myself. Even today, I cry thinking about the way I felt everyday. I will always feel this pain. It will never go away. It won't go out when I go to the bathroom and disappear. It will always be here.
So is emotional pain worse than physical pain? I say, yes. It lasts forever and leaves a bigger impact. It can't be fixed by putting a band aid on it. It is true pain.

Dn107xc

Dn107xc Avatar
Hm.. Yeah!

Dedicated Member

May 2006
Oh, emotional. I reckon, emotional pain is for the rich. Those who are poor do not feel, or rather can not afford to feel emotional pain- simply because they're constantly hungry or weak. However, for those who are it is possible that emotional pain could be a bigger threat than any physical pain.

For little emotional pain, god (if you're christian) or evolution (if you're an evolutionist) has given us the gift of forget. Whether it is temporary or forever. But for larger ones, I think emotional pain is much more dangerous. Why? Because most people who are injuried are too weak and die of shock. Shock, I think can count as emotion.

As someone says, happiness is just a mask we wear.

Last Edit: Aug 14, 2006 4:31:34 GMT by Dn107xc

JackthePumpkinKing

JackthePumpkinKing Avatar
I am the Pumpkin King!!

October 2006
dn107xc said:
Oh, emotional. I reckon, emotional pain is for the rich. Those who are poor do not feel, or rather can not afford to feel emotional pain- simply because they're constantly hungry or weak. However, for those who are it is possible that emotional pain could be a bigger threat than any physical pain.

For little emotional pain, god (if you're christian) or evolution (if you're an evolutionist) has given us the gift of forget. Whether it is temporary or forever. But for larger ones, I think emotional pain is much more dangerous. Why? Because most people who are injuried are too weak and die of shock. Shock, I think can count as emotion.

As someone says, happiness is just a mask we wear.

I think that is so true. But emotional pain doesn't hurt me and I'm not completely poor. I've just been introduced to what life really is at a very young age and I know that stuff like that is just a waste of time...
You don't know what it's like...
To be me...

fallen
jackthepumpkinking said:
I think that is so true. But emotional pain doesn't hurt me and I'm not completely poor.

You should check yourself. NOBODY is immune to pain - be it physical or emotional. From this line:
jackthepumpkinking said:
I've just been introduced to what life really is at a very young age and I know that stuff like that is just a waste of time...

It shows that you've dealt with pain, but doesn't want to face it anymore, so you just cover it up by acting tough.

newBookmarkLockedFalling