Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
Is it possible that life exists on other worlds that we don't know of yet. Or is humanity so terribly arrogant as to think we are alone in the entire universe?

Mithras

Mithras Avatar

Studio Member

July 2006
Nope, it's possible, I just seriously doubt that we're going to find something as advanced as us.

Support Rob Scuderi, the #1 Penguins Defender!

lucifer said:
"Behold: me! I have authority in this building."

Fjörynn

Fjörynn Avatar
My fingers can touch -anything- but them selves

Official Member

November 2006
And if we did...what would this advanced race say?

Josh

Josh Avatar

July 2009
ziggy said:
And if we did...what would this advanced race say?

Urgop pholmhn

It find it ignorant to say it is impossible. There are millions of stars, billions, possible trillions of planets in all likelyhood. You cannot tell me that you don't think that there isn't a chance that there is life on another planet, can you?
This is my old account. This is my new account

Mithras

Mithras Avatar

Studio Member

July 2006
I said it's highly unlikely.

Also, by "advanced" I mean as evolved as us.

Support Rob Scuderi, the #1 Penguins Defender!

lucifer said:
"Behold: me! I have authority in this building."

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
I think it quite possibly could be possible... some might say "OH your a Christian you shouldn't believe that!"... But theres a verse... not sure where it is... in the bible that says something about Satan trying to tempt the beings from other planets or something and them rejecting him, and that they watched in horror when Adam and Eve fell into sin.. don't wanna bring religion into this... but i think its kinda fascinating :P
k

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
mithras said:
Nope, it's possible, I just seriously doubt that we're going to find something as advanced as us.

That is a highly misguided statement. Can you please enlighten me as to your frame of reference when you made that statement. Who are we to say anything at all??

For all we know - the next intelligent life out there could be a single-celled organism or beings that have evolved to a state of biological perfection! Its impossibly to foretell how advanced or evolved they may be. That statement is the arrogance of humanity I was talking of.

tenkabuto

tenkabuto Avatar

January 1970
The restriction of physical memory capacity at human limits is quite sad for such an immense amount of space. I'm pretty sure a few Oops' happened to create something intelligent.

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
ok you got me confused here...er... what?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I think a better question is "is it possible that life doesn't exist elsewhere". As of now, there is probably more overwhelming proof than could be possible without being concrete proof for the existence of other life. Or, in other words, we don't have proof, but there's enough to suggest that thinking we're alone is just dumb.

Arucard

Arucard Avatar
I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost, that hides in the night

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
I think it's possible, but then again some people dont want to think. they want to think that we are the only life out there. instead of thinking that there might be some other life in the universe that is more advanced than us. Another Question is to think when and where are we going to come across this Alien life.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
alucard said:
I think it's possible, but then again some people dont want to think. they want to think that we are the only life out there. instead of thinking that there might be some other life in the universe that is more advanced than us. Another Question is to think when and where are we going to come across this Alien life.

See, other life doesn't necessarily mean that it's more advanced than us. It could be, or it could be in the first steps of evolution yet. Stars and planets come and go all the time. There's a very real chance that we're the most intelligent. Here's why:

Assume there are exactly 1000 planets supporting life. Now, we know that obviously that means there is a 1/1000th chance of us being the most advanced. However, no planet has any more chance than the next. Therefore, everyone has the same probability (again, with as much as these planets are coming and going, there's no reason to assume that all life is going to be as old or older than us).

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
No see, while that logic is true, being as there are over a million galaxies, each with over 100,000 stars out of which even if 10% of all star systems could harbor life, then thats an overwhelming number of civilizations possible. But you also gotta see that our sun is only abt 5 billion years old and we're at the present stage of technological evolution. However, there are many many trillions of stars out there that are older than sun (between 6-9 billion years old) - these would definitely (if they gave rise to life in their systems) have much older civilizations than us and thus, more intelligent life DOES exist out there. It's gonna take us more years to reach a point where we can accomplish First Contact.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
slipstream said:
No see, while that logic is true, being as there are over a million galaxies, each with over 100,000 stars out of which even if 10% of all star systems could harbor life, then thats an overwhelming number of civilizations possible. But you also gotta see that our sun is only abt 5 billion years old and we're at the present stage of technological evolution. However, there are many many trillions of stars out there that are older than sun (between 6-9 billion years old) - these would definitely (if they gave rise to life in their systems) have much older civilizations than us and thus, more intelligent life DOES exist out there. It's gonna take us more years to reach a point where we can accomplish First Contact.

Not necessarily. That is only true with the assumption that all life starts at roughly the same period of time in the planet's lifespan and that all life advances and evolves at the same rate. Life happening on our planet was a sheer stroke of luck. There could be another Earth somewhere with no life simply because it hasn't been lucky and there could be a Mars somewhere with even less suitable conditions with a thriving metropolis. Point being that, yes, logically we probably aren't. However, there is enough evidence (or lack thereof) to argue completely opposite and say that most of that "logic" is assumption which, though probable, has just as much chance of failing.

Worded poorly, I know. I've been sleeping all day and I'm still tired at 12:30 AM.

Last Edit: Feb 3, 2007 6:35:39 GMT by Lucifer

mukei

mukei Avatar

July 2006
slipstream said:

I don't quite agree with you, but I don't agree much with Lucifer with this either.

You have to understand that out sun is a "medium" living star, meaning it's not humongous, and not exactly small either. It's medium, and if not for it's specific size, we wouldn't be around. Considering that into effect, I personally theorize that it would take the same or similar conditions for civilization or even life forms at that to exist somewhere else in the universe.

If we ever do reach First Contact, you realize that there will be total chaos in Earth about actually meeting with these alien forms? I mean, imagine the Europeans travelling to the Americas and meeting with the Native Americans. That wiped out majority of the Native Americans because of the diseases the European brought with them. A similar analogy can be shown here as well.

Also, the concept of civilization in alien planets is very vague. Our scope is incredibly small and limited compared to the vast information and territory lying around the universe. It's ignorant to think that alien forms will have a form of religion, leaders, or "democracy." It completely depends on their organisms, brain functions, and planet situations.

newBookmarkLockedFalling