Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Images and art everywhere, ruined, by horrible, terrible text. I'm not going to say everybody does it but there's a fair majority that seem to stick to this principle. Well I just wanted to point out that for the record

more drop shadow =/= better text

Now I'm no graphics enthusiast. I'm still amazed at how people get absolutely spectacular backgrounds and other effects because I can't get anything close to match that. I never really learned Photoshop that in depth. But that just amazes me more when people with real talent ruin their work at what should be the simplest part of an image.

Throw some bevel on there, put a little stroke, add a little shadow, maybe some pattern or gradient, and you're done. You don't need three different shadowing effects. Your text should not be afraid of the light. That just blends the text into the image when (most of the time) it should stand out.

I don't know. I don't feel like I'm in any position to be throwing any form of criticism around but at the same time I wanted to see if I'm not the only one that's noticed this.

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
I agree...

Except in regards to the bevel. Because of a lot of the work i've seen, people /really/ don't know how to bevel an object properly >.<

But yeah. A drop shadow should be subtle, not the main point of the image.
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

Remixed

Remixed Avatar

April 2006
Bevel = Outdated, bad. I really hate when people use a table and just use the border property and it makes it bevel... yuck. The only ProBoard I have seen that has used it properly, is Enchanted Element (and Eternity made it).

Drop Shadow = too heavy. I know how to use drop shadow correctly, but people forget that it just makes things look dark. For instance, that v-forum, Virtual Design or something, the orange and gray template. The drop shadow looks TERRIBLE.

Ess Ohh

Ess Ohh Avatar
help me

Ghost Admin

August 2005
Beveling a table sounds like overkill.

But too much drop shadow just makes things hard to read but I've gone over that already. I find beveling text is fine unless you somehow mess that up too. I could be overcompensating by trying to make text stand out for all the images out there that do the exact opposite, but I think it's ok.

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
I would disagree on beveling any text on a piece of work.
The simplest text is the best for something. Simple font, nice colours that match well, and then of course positioning, they are what you need. But they are easier said than done.

Of course adding shadows can help nicely though, but only a slight one in most cases.
And also the odd bit of pattern.

Conor

Conor Avatar

ProNation

July 2007
I hate BEVEL. It looks stupid. Even Word Art looks better than beveling your text!

newBookmarkLockedFalling