Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

ishmael

ishmael Avatar

Official Member

Male

February 2009
Your designs.

How often do you honestly think about each individual one, about its purpose, inspiration?

Compare that to the amount of time, or amount of designs, that you pump out as a *signiture*, created only to satisfy your peers as trendwhore shmuck?

When you create a design, what do you think about? Are you designing merely to use time until you do more important things with your life, or do you try to create art?

I pondered this upon a recent visit to the National Sig League, where they classify designers upon a set number of images, placing them in categories determined on the skill moderaters believe they have.

I admit, I was pulled into this, thinking that the entire concept of placement would be a good critique for my designs, but I was wrong.

I was looking at some images that the moderaters believed to be beginner or novice, and they were beautiful.

Is the online recreational designing society becoming too much based on preset status quo's of tag-designing, becoming to narrow-minded that the mind refuses to accept anything that strays from what society has deemed *good*?

I don't know, what do you all think about tag designs vs art? Has a 400 x 100 cookie cutter abstract-vector-grunge-trendwhore image replaced all of the art that has come before it and influenced it?

What, you wanted to check out a shweet tutorial?

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
I cant be bothered doing some long-ass reply, but one thing I will say, is that signature's are art.
To do a 'good' tag, you need to be able to know your stuff etc.
For instance:

Bad/Novice:

Good/Not Novice:

Bad/Novice:

Good/Not Novice:

Bad/Novice:

Good/Not Novice:

Bad/Novice:

Good/Not Novice:

None are the best examples, but they show my point, in my opinion at least.

Last Edit: Feb 15, 2009 1:26:34 GMT by Stinky666

ishmael

ishmael Avatar

Official Member

Male

February 2009
The thing is, although I see your opinion, why is art being classified? And as I look at those tags, they are the most typical standard cookie cutter *good* images that you can find. Instantly, a vexel of a person in a standard 300x80 image is *pro*, an image of a c4d render detailed the shit out of is *pro* whereas other intuitive designs are deemed *bad* because they don't conform.

I see your point, but why is an expression of the human creativity and soul being continuously conformed, crammed in a little rectangle box so that it can be graded on it's uniformity?

This of course doesn't apply to all art, because there is a line between expressive art and non-expressive art, which is why not all artists make it, but there are designs on the nsl deemed bad because they aren't in harmony with others, but are great expressive designs in themselves.

Stinky666, you seem to have an adamant point of view on this, which I respect, but do you see society's impact on creativity? In my opinion atleast, your post showed the conformity that people have been subjected to, but if you were to stand back with an open mind to this idea, would you see it as well?

Last Edit: Feb 15, 2009 7:03:42 GMT by ishmael

What, you wanted to check out a shweet tutorial?

Stinky666

Stinky666 Avatar

December 2009
For art being classified, I see pro's and con's for it. I'm not gonna list them all, however, people like their art classed so they can simply see how far they have advanced within a set amount of time, and to know what they need to improve on. Because believe it or not, for any design you need a good focal, depth, composition, lighting, and more. And unless you're simply talented from when you're born, it's hard to be good at all of those straight away. They each take practice to 'perfect'.

I see exactly what you mean, and I agree.. And although ages ago I got my work classed (tags lol) I now think it's silly.. in a way. The reason I find it silly is purely because people get so wound up over it all. Instead of just learning at their own pace etc etc.

But this is why I don't go to NSL.. They are just too competitive and bitchy about everything [apparently]. When art should be fun, or simply a way to let go and express yourself etc.

The simple fact of the matter is, each forum will have different views on what 'type' of art is 'more' pro, and which is not. It all depends upon what the active members prefer. For instance, on Forum A, the majority might love Space Art... on Forum B the majority might like Vector. Forum A might prefer bright and minimalism, Forum B the complete opposite... (I think you should get what i'm trying to say)

As for conforming.. different types, styles and so on come into 'fashion' all the time. So, what could be the worst type of art now, in a week or two, could be the most whored in the world.
It just takes that ONE decent designer to make a piece, then everyone copies. Thus, people aren't really conforming anyway, they are simply whoring the style...
But I do get what you mean.

I guess I do see society's impact on art, however, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. As always, there are plenty of designers/artists out there who are always making those unique pieces. Just ignore idiots who conform if you dislike it so much, it's that simple... is it not?

All I was 'stating' in my initial post, is that Tag's are art, because you kinda asked whether it was - in a way - by "I don't know, what do you all think about tag designs vs art?", so yeah I was just saying indeed it is art. Just because a tag has a small canvas, it doesn't make it any easier to design for. In fact I personally find it harder, simply due to there being no room to work with.

(I've probably worded stuff crap, but I've been awake for about 26hrs, so I have a perfectly decent excuse :P - I'm sure you'll be able to make head and tail of what I have said (tried to say))

edit:
I just realised.. my custom title on here, SZ, is as "Don't Conform to a style"..... that's been like that for ages and ages.. :o

Last Edit: Feb 15, 2009 15:59:05 GMT by Stinky666

newBookmarkLockedFalling