Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Justin

Justin Avatar
:)

July 2009
Ok, so i have interest in starting to design, i just need help on a few things.

Where do i start, are there any sites that can help me learn?
My signature
[/left][/i][/size]

Rockafeller

Rockafeller Avatar

August 2007
Since you're a beginner, you don't really need to fanciest programs and such but getting Photoshop is probably the best. It's really expensive, but there are other ways of getting it.

Before you start looking at any tuts you just need to play around in whatever program you're using to get the feel of some if not most of the tools given. Then look up some tuts. You should probably start off making small tags(400x100 images), that'll get you started and will give a good start for anything else you want to get into. I started making tags and sigs when I first started, and it was on Proboards too. That was like 5 years ago, I would say I did that for about 2 or 3 years till i moved out into web design.

Start posting your work on like a ton of forums to get a ton of feedback. Don't quit when you get harsh crit and don't complain. :P

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Look through the links here, as well as what I wrote here.

What kind of design do you want to do? That'll help me find things to push you in the right direction.

Justin

Justin Avatar
:)

July 2009
Josh Avatar
Look through the links here, as well as what I wrote here.

What kind of design do you want to do? That'll help me find things to push you in the right direction.

Thanks for the links, should come in handy :)

and i was hoping on doing web design, and making templates for Proboards.
My signature
[/left][/i][/size]

ScottCool

ScottCool Avatar

November 2005
I started off by googling and looking for Tutorials that I found easy and I started from there. Then I used what I learned to further myself and design more, Then I got ideas around the web. its pretty easy it just takes time. ;)

Aryna

Aryna Avatar

August 2009
And posting your work in forums for feedback and crit is, I think and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this, essential if you want to grow as a designer and get better. Because it's rather difficult to figure out what you could improve on if you're looking at it yourself. Oh, and also, if you get stuck in a rut don't freak out, instead google search on tutorials and do whatever ones look interesting, no matter what level they are. Yes if they're a higher level then you currently it probably won't turn out too good, but it will give you ideas and techniques to try out on your own. Which is why tutorials are amazing.

ScottCool

ScottCool Avatar

November 2005
Aryna Avatar
And posting your work in forums for feedback and crit is, I think and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this, essential if you want to grow as a designer and get better. Because it's rather difficult to figure out what you could improve on if you're looking at it yourself. Oh, and also, if you get stuck in a rut don't freak out, instead google search on tutorials and do whatever ones look interesting, no matter what level they are. Yes if they're a higher level then you currently it probably won't turn out too good, but it will give you ideas and techniques to try out on your own. Which is why tutorials are amazing.

I agree 100%.

The main thing you need to do is learn your program. Make sure you were your tools are and what you can do with them. Then once you've done that you can design almost any tut you'll find.

newBookmarkLockedFalling