Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

~Memzak~

~Memzak~ Avatar
Inquire never, so always need elephants.

May 2009
Yea, if you don't know the GIMP interface and hotkeys well, you won't be able to do anything efficiently/quickly.

(Directed at Nightwalker, not Benjamin)

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
Bemjamin I was wondering. What is the difference between my Elements and your CS6? What are the big things that would make me, who hardly does graphics, want to have it? Or is it mostly just for those who want to be serious in graphics?
Building Your Proboard, a Basic Guide to Getting Your Forum Started

Need somewhere to host files?[/url]

Texas

Texas Avatar

January 2012
~Memzak~ Avatar
Yea, if you don't know the GIMP interface and hotkeys well, you won't be able to do anything efficiently/quickly.

(Directed at Nightwalker, not Benjamin)

That just about sums me up. I tried it a little but it was to confusing after using Elements for so long. :P

Clicky if you need free and dependable hosting

Toshiru

Toshiru Avatar

Dedicated Member

June 2010
Joe Kerr Avatar
Bemjamin I was wondering. What is the difference between my Elements and your CS6? What are the big things that would make me, who hardly does graphics, want to have it? Or is it mostly just for those who want to be serious in graphics?

What kind of graphics do you plan on creating? I have CS5 and the majority(design interfaces) of what I can do in CS5 and I can do with PS7. I'm not sure about PS elements as I only used it for a couple days 4 years ago.
Send me a message and we can talk about design forums.

Benjamin

Benjamin Avatar
#YOCO... You only color once.

Elite Mod

November 2006
Joe Kerr Avatar

Honestly, I'm not familiar enough with Elements to give you a comparison. I know you can manage a lot in Elements. But whenever I used it, it always felt incomplete because I was used to having more features.

Depending on what you want to do with it makes all the difference. If you're just looking for simple photo editing, Elements would be fine. (But so would GIMP)

If you want more advanced photo editing, Photoshop... Or Aperture, or Lightroom.

If you're looking into getting into graphic editing, most likely Photoshop, although you can do a lot in Fireworks too.

The bottom line is -- as long as you know how to use the tools you have, what does it matter?
Lucifer Avatar
I'm gonna start dishing out internet beatings if people keep it up with this 4chan shit, I swear.

~Memzak~

~Memzak~ Avatar

May 2009
Indeed. In GIMP, there are many things that can be done by hand (taking forever and inferior quality) or by Script-Fu stuffies.

...all you need to do is learn the utilities you have for better results.

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
yea, most of what I do is just creating simple graphics like the sigs i made the other day. I think what I have is best for that...plus it was free cause my mom had it :P

Toshiru

Toshiru Avatar

Dedicated Member

June 2010
I've got to admit though the content awarness scaling is (in newer versions) is god damn handy. I'll post an example if any of you guys don't know what that is.
Send me a message and we can talk about design forums.

Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr Avatar
Why So Serious?

June 2010
Nope :P Have no idea...

Twerque

Twerque Avatar
make my way back home when i learn to fly.

Studio Member

December 2009
I've used GIMP, Elements, and I have CS6 Extended now. I honestly have to say that I prefer CS6 out of them all. Just my preference, though c;

GIMP: It was never really stable for me (I distinctly remember not being able to create a "new" image or it would crash -- I'd have to open an old image, paint that over, save it as a new file, and then use that as my "new" image). It also isn't very appealing to the eye (okay so this is a totally stupid one, but I'm vain and like things to be pretty).

CS6: It's clearly quite stable, and I feel as though there are a lot more tools you can use and once you get used to things it's pretty amazing. I'd never give up CS6 and can't wait to upgrade to CS7.

Elements: Erp. It's actually a really nice program c: My friend sells web design services and uses Elements and it does her pretty well. So, you'd be fine with that, I think. Never hurts to have an extra program, though, if you've got the room in case there are some tools you don't have in one that you need ;] ... Program hoarder.

Last Edit: Jan 8, 2013 13:20:41 GMT by Twerque
Signature coming~

~Memzak~

~Memzak~ Avatar

May 2009
GIMP: It was never really stable for me (I distinctly remember not being able to create a "new" image or it would crash -- I'd have to open an old image, paint that over, save it as a new file, and then use that as my "new" image). It also isn't very appealing to the eye (okay so this is a totally stupid one, but I'm vain and like things to be pretty).

...that sounds like a seriously messed up GIMP, which version was it? I've never had any such issues. (or any at all, for that matter... and I'm running it on linux most of the time [which is prone to breaking everything] )

Twerque

Twerque Avatar
make my way back home when i learn to fly.

Studio Member

December 2009
~Memzak~ Avatar

...that sounds like a seriously messed up GIMP, which version was it? I've never had any such issues. (or any at all, for that matter... and I'm running it on linux most of the time [which is prone to breaking everything] )

I can't even remember, dude. It was a REALLY long time ago. It was back when I was around 12 or 13 ... I'm now 19, haha.
Signature coming~

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
WWWWWWWWWWWW

November 2005
www.pixlr.com/ is a great web-based photo editor with the same functionality as PS/GIMP.

I need to get a copy of CS6 though.. it looks sexy as fuck!

newBookmarkLockedFalling