Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Tartarus

Tartarus Avatar

Official Member

June 2010
To be honest, I agree that there are less hacker's, I disagree that it's more fun, I disagree that it's easier to get a group together; that's why we have steamworks. I like shooter's on the consoles, I like shooter's on the PC, shooter's look and run better on the PC, I also find the mouse easier.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I'm looking at this from a college perspective. Didn't think of that before, but that will change your opinion. I can walk down the hall, say "Halo?" and get a group of 4 playing Halo in 5 minutes. To get 3 other people I know to play TF2 with me at once is nearly impossible, because almost no one has the game. Other PC shooters are just as rare.

Also, Xuzi, my internet is free and faster than yours. It comes as part of my tuition in theory, but I'm not directly paying for it and MIT will never stop making it free. Heck, anyone can come to campus and use our internet if they have wifi. :P If you meant Live, then yes, yes you do have to pay. And guess what, it's not just the shooters you're paying for AND you can get it as low as about $3/month (which is what Josh pays I believe.) There are tons of PC games that also require monthly fees much greater than that. (Saying general, not shooter specific.)

either way, my point is a group of friends are more likely to play xbox than PC games. It's too cumbersome for PC, at least in college. High school is a different scenario because you don't all live together.

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
I bought three years of Live for $75, I believe. That works out to just over $2 a month. :P

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Josh Avatar
I bought three years of Live for $75, I believe. That works out to just over $2 a month. :P

I was close enough. $2.08.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Pay for the better experience is all. Honestly, $2/month is insignificant, even if it's a one time payment of $75. Your decision on the value of the dollar will change as you age, but that really is nothing. I made over $75/day during the summer... so, i work 8 hours for 3 YEARS of online gameplay? Woot. :P Either way, not really the point.

PCs > Mac.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
@xuzi: Go play PS3 online. And then go play Live. Tell me which experience is better. PS3 may have free online service (for now, at least), but Live beats it by a freaking marathon in the value of the service.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
xmsteel Avatar
Josh Avatar
@xuzi: Go play PS3 online. And then go play Live. Tell me which experience is better. PS3 may have free online service (for now, at least), but Live beats it by a freaking marathon in the value of the service.

I hate sony. And I don't plan on ever playing on a console as much as PC.

Sony is actually a pretty good company and the tech world owes a shit ton to them. I'm not a huge fan of their consoles anymore (though I will admit that I still pull out my PSone from time to time to play Spyro or Crash Bandicoot or Twisted Metal), but even now they are contributing more than their share of tech advancements to the world.

And all I have to say is go see how well Assassin's Creed II fared on the PC compared to its console counterparts. ;) Tell me which was the better experience there (hint: if you can't play the game the day you buy it, that version loses)

Aryna

Aryna Avatar

August 2009
Chris Avatar
I'm looking at this from a college perspective. Didn't think of that before, but that will change your opinion. I can walk down the hall, say "Halo?" and get a group of 4 playing Halo in 5 minutes. To get 3 other people I know to play TF2 with me at once is nearly impossible, because almost no one has the game. Other PC shooters are just as rare.

That is so VERY true. That's pretty much one of the only things (well, outside of partying and school....) the guys on my floor do. I'm pretty sure once the lounge for our floor is done they're going to take over it.... The second floor lounge, let's just say that there's pretty much always at least 5 guys playing some video game. Although, at my school none of the guys play Halo, I don't know which one they play, but they pretty much all play the same one. If anybody plays halo here it's pretty much guaranteed to be a girl.

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
Is there anything you can do on a Mac that you can't do on a PC without the help of VMware Workstation (or something similar)?

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
Standard rebuttal:
"There are viruses for Mac, but just not many."
"Mac viruses will grow in number in proportion to Mac software titles."
"Regardless of what operating system you’re running, there will always be an infinite amount of ways an end-user can compromise the security of their computer, most especially a networked computer."
"There just aren’t that many Mac users out there, which would make it even less likely for any given virus to spread itself enough to make it onto an AV firm’s radar."
www.securemac.com/
www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2006/02/macosxleap.html - 2006
antivirus.about.com/od/macintoshresource/Macintosh_Viruses_and_Mac_Virus_Resources.htm

tl;dr Welcome to reality.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
xmsteel Avatar
Quinine Avatar
Is there anything you can do on a Mac that you can't do on a PC without the help of VMware Workstation (or something similar)?

NOT get viruses.
I'm too tired to find Captain Picard so I will describe it: My hand, my face, they are making contact right now in what is called a facepalm.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
xmsteel Avatar
Quinine Avatar

NOT get viruses.

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
Josh Avatar
xmsteel Avatar

NOT get viruses.
I'm too tired to find Captain Picard so I will describe it: My hand, my face, they are making contact right now in what is called a facepalm.

Here you go

Anyone else care to answer my question?

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
For most programs there is likely to be a mac alternative. The main things mac lacks is games, though. Blizzard does a good job of releasing mac versions on the same disc as the PC versions, but its pretty rare. Hopefully with steam for mac this will change soon :-)

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Quinine Avatar
Josh Avatar

Here you go

Anyone else care to answer my question?

Thank you for that.

And to answer your question: no, really. I mean, there are some apps that OS X has that are better than anything you can get for Windows (Logic Pro and, perhaps, Final Cut Pro come to mind immediately). Dashboard is better than its Windows equivalent. Adium is better than any multi-protocol client on Windows. But things a Mac can do that Windows can't? Not really. The same can be said for Windows, though. And Linux as well. At this point, they are all about even in what you can do on them. Now, it is more a matter of preference than a matter of what a person needs. It's more about what interface you prefer. (And before it is said, Macs are catching up quite quickly in the gaming universe to PCs. That's the only clear advantage Windows has over Macs that I can think of)

newBookmarkLockedFalling