Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Previously on "Name the Game":
Pilot Episode
Volume 2

Rules Synopsis (details in the first link):
  • I will post a screenshot and the first person to guess the game gets the points.
  • Each correct answer is worth 5 points.
  • Unlimited guesses (kind of).
  • Each hint will cost points.
  • Hints can be requested or at my discretion (18 wrong guesses tells me a hint is in order).

I apologize for any ads or formatting with the image host I use. The ship blocks certain websites and others take too long to upload on our slow internet and time out. I make due with what I can. Also, some screenshots may be slightly cropped around the edges to remove any logos/watermarks from other websites. Deal with it.

REVERSE IMAGE SEARCHES WILL RESULT IN YOU BEING AN ASSHOLE AND TREATED AS SUCH. ALSO, IMAGES WILL BE CROPPED/FLIPPED/ROTATED BECAUSE FUCK YOU. Just sayin'.

Rounds:

Round 1
-Answer:
Dragon Ball Z Supersonic Warriors 2

Round 2
-Answer:
The Ball

Round 3
-Answer:
Krater

Round 4
-Answer:
?

Scoreboard:
Lucifer -- 65 bajillion
Chris -- 164
abZebras -- 142
Simie -- 116
tcm -- 114
crazynarutard -- 99
Salvager -- 90
Jake -- 79
mukei -- 62
Scorpian -- 67
Naruto -- 34
Eric -- 30
Samus -- 24
Twiggy -- 24
Fury of the Storm -- 20
Benjamin -- 20
Quacker Jack -- 19
Unleashed Madness -- 15
Sasuke -- 13
Conor -- 10
Arucard -- 9
wrcr87 -- 8
XxWafflexX -- 5
Ron -- 5
Remixed -- 5
Toshiru -- 5
Deko -- 5
Cheesy -- 4

Last Edit: Jan 14, 2013 7:17:34 GMT by Lucifer

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Woo, loved this.

So it's obviously a Dragonball game. Is it "Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2"?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Well shit. I figured that was a bit easy, but I was hoping the 2D style would've thrown people to believe it was an older game. +5. Round two in a minute.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I think the Lucifer part on the scoreboard is broken.

Also, can you be a dear (from here on out, don't do it retroactively) and link to people's profiles for points? :) Makes it so we keep track by username, not displayname. Much better for achievement tracking.

Stickied.

Edit: Oh, and, uhh.... skyrim? :P Doesn't look like it to me, but screw it, I'll guess.

Last Edit: Jan 12, 2013 14:40:10 GMT by Chris

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Doing it retroactively anyway. At least for the members that are easy to find.

Edit: Don't be jealous just because I have more points than you. And no, not Skyrim.

Last Edit: Jan 12, 2013 16:13:18 GMT by Lucifer

Scorpian

Scorpian Avatar

[ Bracket Admin ]

April 2006
It's The Ball, right? :D

Also, would you mind replacing the funky characters in the scoreboard for my name with just "Scorpian?" I gave up on that gag years ago.
wat

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Scorpian Avatar
It's The Ball, right? :D

Also, would you mind replacing the funky characters in the scoreboard for my name with just "Scorpian?" I gave up on that gag years ago.

Haha, will do. And yes, it is indeed The Ball. +5

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Is it "Krater"?

If so, I'd try and leave out location names in future pics :P

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Simie Avatar
Is it "Krater"?

I can't even read that on the monitors we have on the ship. It's irrelevant, though, because I'd like to point out that this ISN'T a competition to see who can Google better. The goal is to use bits of information you can gather from the game and apply it to your OWN knowledge base to see if you can guess/figure out the game. Obviously as it becomes increasingly difficult, Google can become necessary in some respects, but blatantly searching something like that just ruins all the fun. Mainly because I have MS Paint. If you REALLY want me to start shitting on these images JUST so people like you can't Google them effectively, I will, but that's going to take a lot of the fun out of it for both you and me. I shouldn't have to work that hard just so people have to try and figure out a picture where things aren't even accurate because I fear people are going to cheat.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
Lucifer Avatar
Simie Avatar
Is it "Krater"?

I can't even read that on the monitors we have on the ship.

I couldn't have known that.

It's irrelevant, though, because I'd like to point out that this ISN'T a competition to see who can Google better. The goal is to use bits of information you can gather from the game and apply it to your OWN knowledge base to see if you can guess/figure out the game.

So in the case of not knowing a game on sight, would an acceptable guess have gone like this:

Action RPG -> Post-Apocalyptic -> Fairly recent graphics -> Find a list of recent action rpgs, scour the list for ones similar to the screenshot

?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Simie Avatar
Lucifer Avatar

I can't even read that on the monitors we have on the ship.

I couldn't have known that.

It's irrelevant, though, because I'd like to point out that this ISN'T a competition to see who can Google better. The goal is to use bits of information you can gather from the game and apply it to your OWN knowledge base to see if you can guess/figure out the game.

So in the case of not knowing a game on sight, would an acceptable guess have gone like this:

Action RPG -> Post-Apocalyptic -> Fairly recent graphics -> Find a list of recent action rpgs, scour the list for ones similar to the screenshot

?

An acceptable guess would be a guess. If you're jumping to Google for your first guess, you probably shouldn't be playing. Use context clues. Guess something you think might be similar, even if you know it's wrong. It can help others brainstorm. I know YOU want the points, but this game isn't about points. That's just incentive to play. The idea is to test your video game knowledge primarily, and your attention to details which is secondary. Just because you don't know it off the bat doesn't mean you immediately drive for the exact answer. If you do that and I find it's getting too easy, I promise I know a shit ton of obscure games that will make this much more difficult. But frankly, I'd rather not kill activity by only posting up games that NOBODY would know if they haven't actually played them.

If I was on my computer, I'd just take my own screenshots, but I'm not so I can't do that. So unfortunately, we all have to deal with the fact that all of these images are floating around out there. But it's not a matching game. I don't care about who can Google the image first. The point, as I've said before, is to test your video game knowledge. Especially if you're the only one really playing. Do yourself a favor and enjoy the game for what it is: a challenge.

Granted, if we've had 10 guesses or so or nobody can get it, I'll give you a hint. This will drop the point value, but will give you some direction beyond an unidentifiable screenshot. That's the point of the hints. You lose points because I'm giving you information. If all I cared about was who was more efficient with Google, it'd all be worth 1 point given the lack of critical thought that is going into the answer. If it's getting to the point where no one can figure it out, then yeah, search for recent (or whatever the applicable time frame may be) types of games in that genre. Maybe it'll jog your memory. But if you're just burning through a list of games comparing screenshots, that's not hard nor is it rewarding. So why should I give rewards? It defeats the entire purpose of this game to begin with.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Anyways.

Crisis 2?

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Chris Avatar
Anyways.

Crisis 2?

Unfortunately, it is not.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
I doubt it, but just to keep the ball rolling, Halo 4. :P

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Chris Avatar
I doubt it, but just to keep the ball rolling, Halo 4. :P

It is undeniably a Halo clone (though I enjoy it), but not Halo 4.

newBookmarkLockedFalling