Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Llanilek

Llanilek Avatar
Former Elite Mod

Dedicated Studio Member

October 2005
Such a powerful tool, the internet... far beyond what we can even dream is somewhere on this never ending world wide web, but is it becoming so powerful that maybe one day it will totally take over our lives and that link between virtual and reality fades away and we become sucked into oblivion (well not as such), taken into a world where anything goes.

This article is more of a ramble of my views on peoples beliefs that the internet is a time wasting tool, and is nothing to do with our real lives.

In my opinion it is a main focus of my life, because myself being a web programmer i tend to be online most of the day when i am not sleeping or working. My coding started off as a hobby, now its brought me my webhosting company which i spend most of my waking hours working on keeping it up to date, but am i letting my mind slip while staring at a computer screen for all those long hours each day... is my IQ so called dropping because i am just dribbling out "txt talk" and php and js all day?

some people would agree that the internet is bad for you, that it takes away your social life and provides nothing for you in the future, well where do you think most of the great programmers and web designers end up? it certainly ain't cooped up in a mental institute thinking about how your going to escape from the straight jacket and stab the doctor in the eye with the sedative he is about to bring in to the room, there are places. Microsoft being one of the biggest in the world, google too. All these companies offer us so much when we learn such things.

Maybe the internet is just a pass time for you, but think about it... You have some sort of knowledge about computers, the internet, and some sort of web designing be it graphics or coding what satisfaction you must get when you can say that you helped someone, not only that when you get older your children want to study web design of some sort, and you can say oh theres something i can help you with, your child can learn faster and better.

Alot of people say that their future won't be involving computers because of the career they choose to follow, but think about it. In a few years computers could be running our lives as technology develops shouldn't we? Our knowledge of computers can be passed onto generations to come and maybe its about time we start putting back into the internet what we got out of it.
i was very independant at school for the simple fact is that my friends i did have just stopped me from doing what i really needed to do in order to get me through my exams, but now i with working full time i meet loads of new people and my skills on the internet too has gained me alot of trust not only with my "clients" but my friends offline also ask me to help them with things conserning the internet.

So i can say personally the internet yes ok it has taken away a fair portion of my social life but it has also helped me regain what I personally lost and more so.

So indeed without the internet these days people would not really be able to communicate like we do at such a little cost with the rest of the world. I mean come on an international phone call is pricey, but not only that if you are still living with your parents and they don't really take to you ringing some random person up from china or africa that you haven't even met in your life, but you talk to them via forums or chat clients or messengers then there is more security in that and a lot more of personal privacy because unless you choose that person won't know what you sound like. If you meet them they will know what you look like

On the internet you have the choice to show people your faces, which in turn brings on another argument about the internet is just a fake cover up for most people.

Some of which use the internet to harm our younger generations which yes ok is sick and twisted but at least we have the right tools to stop this from happening but if you meet someone in public there is no way with our technology that we can cover up who we really are or act fake because they can hear you and see you...

But thats just my opinion and i'm sure some of you will have more to add to that.

Last Edit: Sept 13, 2006 2:16:08 GMT by Llanilek

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Still waiting for the "More to come" :P

But yeah, this article has some truth to it. Though I've been breaking away from this recently. I've been spending mroe time awya from the computer and such.

craz

craz Avatar

Dedicated Member

September 2005
great article! very true stuff there :)
Ion displacement won't work in the basement
Especially when I'm not with you- Vampire Weekend

art+jams+fake+social

Virtuoso

Virtuoso Avatar

May 2006
I agree with Chris. The internet, when looked upon as a whole, tends to be quite a scary thing.

Demonboy

Demonboy Avatar
Dont Cry

Official Member

May 2006
yeah there is some true stuff in it. though i am also starting to spend less time on the computer. i am starting to run and i board more often too. but i have been on alot latly and i need to slow up on the use of it some.

Llanilek

Llanilek Avatar
Former Elite Mod

Dedicated Studio Member

October 2005
But what i don't get about it i have alot of commitments, i have full time employment, which i am a supervisor and also a staff trainer... an extremly active social life (no i don't talk to 1's and 0's.. for you who didn't get that go shoot yourself) and yet i still find alot of time to sleep eat, do things i am supposed to do and have loads of time on the net... its all about just making time for things and setting things out... ok so maybe i am not on as much as i used to be but i visit all my sites and work on them at least twice a day... if i can do it (ok so maybe i'm a robot) why does that stop other people from doing it also

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Its cause you don't sleep for crying out loud. :P

Llanilek

Llanilek Avatar
Former Elite Mod

Dedicated Studio Member

October 2005
i do sleep lol... infact i sleep alot more now than i used to lol

Demonboy

Demonboy Avatar
Dont Cry

Official Member

May 2006
yeah i find time to get all my home work done and skate and hang out with friends, and all the other stuff i do and i still have time for the net to so yeah.

AI

AI Avatar

Dedicated Member

May 2006
Great article. One day, we will get sucked into the internet, but some people already have. It's only a matter of time.

Snowfall

Snowfall Avatar
Web developer in the making

Official Member

February 2006
Its a matter of prefereance, i persoanlly am pretty sad person with no social life outside of the interenet/school/church mainly because no one understands me *shurgs* online i can speak to people who understand the stuff i am intrested in, plus no sports :) im useless at it all any way so i dont go running, play football etc. so hows a lad like me, intrested in science, good at maths etc supposed to pass the time? memorize different formuals etc :| this is the only place (the internet that is) where i can talk freely with knowledge that alot more people understand me and wont stand there asking "what are you doing?" "whats that?" or looking over your shoulder :| so the internet is pretty much a life saver for me :) however it has taken away my social life (that i never really had LEGO rules :D) but mostly from my family (alot of the time my dad is out anyways *shrugs*) so in one sense it is a release for people and its good as your articels says meaning it as truth in it, however there are a few people who could make more with their lives offline (not me ;))

Wow that is hell long :P

Loving the site Studio Zero keep up the good work.

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
good article. so true. maybe this is my que to stop living my life in my room on the internet >.>

lol

but i do have a life, just use about 65% of it on my computer :P lol.... ok mroe than 65% lol
k

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Some people use the internet as an excuse to escape from the real life tortures. One of my good online friends from my old forum (Inuyasha Catacombs) was abused by her father in her daily life, so she spent much of her time online drowning out the pain by talking to people who cared for her and her well being.

In some ways, this is good. But some people need to stand up and deal with these problems. Or rather, smaller ones. With what happened to her, there was not much she can do... I havn't spoken to her in a long time, so I wonder how she's doing....

Aaron

Aaron Avatar
Bad Wolf

Dedicated Studio Member

November 2006
I was actually expecting 3 times as much when I followed the link here... Not a bad article but if anything, it seems rushed.

Llanilek

Llanilek Avatar
Former Elite Mod

Dedicated Studio Member

October 2005
thats because it was :P anyway i'm gonna finish this off soon (wow how manytimes have i said that now lol)

newBookmarkLockedFalling