Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Great article here by Lucifer. Enjoy.

How to get what you want

I’m sure many of you have begged your parents at least once or twice for that “special” gift for your birthday or Christmas. And chances are, you’ve failed at least once. I’m here to tell you the tips, tricks, and subtle psychological ways to get what you want. And you want the big gift. An iPod, a computer, or possibly even a car. Now keep in mind, though this is easy and works about 90% of the time, it takes time to execute properly. Just remain diligent and don’t take your mind off of your goal.

Phase 1:
-First, you start out with the basics. Just ask your parents for what you want. Do this a few months in advance, so these phases aren’t too close together and become annoying. Ask both, though, so they both know that you do, in fact, want this gift. Now, the other thing to do is find your “weak” parent. Which is more likely to give in and buckle under the pressure? Which one is less likely to beat you with a stick for asking 20 times?

Phase 2:
-This is probably the worst phase as it requires you to act a bit childish and knock off a few maturity points. You have to stress that you don’t want this, you need this. Say you really want it, let them know it’s needed to fit in and to be considered normal by your peers, lest you be ridiculed for not having what they have. See, this phase let’s them know you mean business. You weren’t joking when you asked originally, you weren’t just throwing it out there and hoping for a miracle. When you asked, you meant it.

Phase 3
-Alright, this should be done a couple weeks after the first two phases. The objective now is to keep this thought in your parent’s mind. You’re not asking anymore, or else you’ll become a nuisance and your parent will be more likely to just say no. So, you lighten the mood, you make some jokes. “Hey [parent], I bet an iPod would come in handy right about now” or “Ya know, if I had a car, you wouldn’t have to drive me everywhere.” Make it blatantly sarcastic so they don’t really get angry, but it still keeps the thought in mind and may possibly get them thinking about the advantages of buying you your desired gift.

Phase 4:
-Now, we’ll elaborate on the advantages. Show them the positive effects of this gift. If it’s a car, that means parents no longer need to give you a ride everywhere. A computer may cut down on the time you’re hogging the family computer. Perhaps it’s a game system and by getting this, it’d give you a reason to get a job to pay for future games. You get the point, right? This tactic is complimented by cutting out articles and information and showing your parents. You know what you want, you want them to know why, and you’re taking the initiative to do some work yourself to save them trouble. Plus, this also benefits you so they don’t get you the wrong gift. You want an Xbox 360, not a regular Xbox.

Phase 5:
-We’re almost done. Basically, you want to act like you know you’re getting this gift. Make audible, but seemingly random comments such as “Wow, I’d love to get [item], but I can’t since I’m getting [gift of choice]”. Maybe you want to follow up on this with a “I guess I could get a job to pay for [item]”. This is like an alarm for parents telling them that you’re mature, you’re responsible, and that you’ll do what’s necessary for what you want. Now they actually think you deserve this gift. If you do these things correctly, you should end up with your desired gift.

This does work! I have used this tactic many times and in doing so, I’ve aquired a TV, computer, guitar, stereo, sword, numerous videogames, expensive books, a computer chair, PS2, and probably more things that I can’t think of. Some call it immature, I call it strategy. Just remember these things and you’ll do fine:

+--Employ no more than one Phase a week. It doesn’t hurt to do one every few weeks, depending on how early you started.
+--If your parent(s) get annoyed, take a break and wait for them to cool down. This could be a few days or it could be a week. Just be patient.
+--Make sure to also ask for another bigger gift. One that you don’t want as much, yet you are less likely to get. This then ensures you get the next biggest thing. Keep in mind, this may be hard to do when asking for a car.
+--Sneak a few hints to grandparents. They’re the most likely to get you what you want. So even if they don’t get you it, they can guilt trip your parent into doing so.
+--The week before the holiday event is the week you should stress this the most. Use any of the phases in any order whenever you can in this final weak. Think of it as a “final push” towards getting what you want.

Last Edit: Jun 4, 2006 2:26:44 GMT by Chris

Vertex

Vertex Avatar

Official Member

August 2005
iMac, here I come! >=)

4renSick.

4renSick. Avatar

Dedicated Member

December 2005
Lol... haha that was an awesome article :P

Some very good points in there, i think i may have to try this :)

Nice job Lucifer :P

~4renSick.

NotOri0us

NotOri0us Avatar

June 2006
If I nag then I do chores. Some of those tips would only work toward my birthday or Christmas. 8-)

Last Edit: Jun 12, 2006 23:21:16 GMT by NotOri0us

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
notorious said:
If I nag them I do chores. Some of those tips would only work toward my birthday or Christmas. 8-)

That's what it's s'posed to be for. I don't know too many parents who would buy a kid a car or computer for anything but Christmas or a birthday.

NotOri0us

NotOri0us Avatar

June 2006
Oh, ya I guess. Well then, good article but Iv'e been doing most of that for years. XD

Arucard

Arucard Avatar
I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost, that hides in the night

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
Well i'm going to have to try this out. Might be able to get a few things.

17Godzilla

17Godzilla Avatar

Dedicated Member

October 2005
I did exactly this to get permission to buy my dream machine (see convention center). I bet to come up with this you just had to look at what you were doing, it's all so natural. It's good to see it in words though.

Seriously, I can distinctly remember doing all of those phases.

enalia.proboards92.com/index.cgi

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
cddude229 said:
Great article here by Lucifer. Enjoy.

How to get what you want

I’m sure many of you have begged your parents at least once or twice for that “special” gift for your birthday or Christmas. And chances are, you’ve failed at least once. I’m here to tell you the tips, tricks, and subtle psychological ways to get what you want. And you want the big gift. An iPod, a computer, or possibly even a car. Now keep in mind, though this is easy and works about 90% of the time, it takes time to execute properly. Just remain diligent and don’t take your mind off of your goal.

Phase 1:
-First, you start out with the basics. Just ask your parents for what you want. Do this a few months in advance, so these phases aren’t too close together and become annoying. Ask both, though, so they both know that you do, in fact, want this gift. Now, the other thing to do is find your “weak” parent. Which is more likely to give in and buckle under the pressure? Which one is less likely to beat you with a stick for asking 20 times?

Phase 2:
-This is probably the worst phase as it requires you to act a bit childish and knock off a few maturity points. You have to stress that you don’t want this, you need this. Say you really want it, let them know it’s needed to fit in and to be considered normal by your peers, lest you be ridiculed for not having what they have. See, this phase let’s them know you mean business. You weren’t joking when you asked originally, you weren’t just throwing it out there and hoping for a miracle. When you asked, you meant it.

Phase 3
-Alright, this should be done a couple weeks after the first two phases. The objective now is to keep this thought in your parent’s mind. You’re not asking anymore, or else you’ll become a nuisance and your parent will be more likely to just say no. So, you lighten the mood, you make some jokes. “Hey [parent], I bet an iPod would come in handy right about now” or “Ya know, if I had a car, you wouldn’t have to drive me everywhere.” Make it blatantly sarcastic so they don’t really get angry, but it still keeps the thought in mind and may possibly get them thinking about the advantages of buying you your desired gift.

Phase 4:
-Now, we’ll elaborate on the advantages. Show them the positive effects of this gift. If it’s a car, that means parents no longer need to give you a ride everywhere. A computer may cut down on the time you’re hogging the family computer. Perhaps it’s a game system and by getting this, it’d give you a reason to get a job to pay for future games. You get the point, right? This tactic is complimented by cutting out articles and information and showing your parents. You know what you want, you want them to know why, and you’re taking the initiative to do some work yourself to save them trouble. Plus, this also benefits you so they don’t get you the wrong gift. You want an Xbox 360, not a regular Xbox.

Phase 5:
-We’re almost done. Basically, you want to act like you know you’re getting this gift. Make audible, but seemingly random comments such as “Wow, I’d love to get [item], but I can’t since I’m getting [gift of choice]”. Maybe you want to follow up on this with a “I guess I could get a job to pay for [item]”. This is like an alarm for parents telling them that you’re mature, you’re responsible, and that you’ll do what’s necessary for what you want. Now they actually think you deserve this gift. If you do these things correctly, you should end up with your desired gift.

This does work! I have used this tactic many times and in doing so, I’ve aquired a TV, computer, guitar, stereo, sword, numerous videogames, expensive books, a computer chair, PS2, and probably more things that I can’t think of. Some call it immature, I call it strategy. Just remember these things and you’ll do fine:

+--Employ no more than one Phase a week. It doesn’t hurt to do one every few weeks, depending on how early you started.
+--If your parent(s) get annoyed, take a break and wait for them to cool down. This could be a few days or it could be a week. Just be patient.
+--Make sure to also ask for another bigger gift. One that you don’t want as much, yet you are less likely to get. This then ensures you get the next biggest thing. Keep in mind, this may be hard to do when asking for a car.
+--Sneak a few hints to grandparents. They’re the most likely to get you what you want. So even if they don’t get you it, they can guilt trip your parent into doing so.
+--The week before the holiday event is the week you should stress this the most. Use any of the phases in any order whenever you can in this final weak. Think of it as a “final push” towards getting what you want.

When I do step 5, my parents say "Shut up." Does that help?

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
steynj said:
When I do step 5, my parents say "Shut up." Does that help?

Usually doesn't. :P

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
Thought so. :P

snoozyboozy
You are all NEVER speaking to my children!!! LOL!

:P ;D

Quinine

Quinine Avatar
[5]

Senior Studio Member

May 2007
Yeah, set up a net nanny, blocking this thread. LOL :P

snoozyboozy
lmao... my kids are getting nowhere near this computer!!! haha

Arucard

Arucard Avatar
I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost, that hides in the night

Legendary Studio Member

September 2006
snoozyboozy said:
You are all NEVER speaking to my children!!! LOL!

:P ;D

Thats what you think ;D I shall teach them the ways of evil *goes off to make an evil teaching plan*

Last Edit: Oct 15, 2007 23:31:15 GMT by Arucard

newBookmarkLockedFalling