Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Josh

Josh Avatar

July 2009
I am writing a research paper right now and I need to know what you think. My topic is the rise of the socialites (social communities online) and I need your help. I am focusing on deviantART, last.fm, and digg in the paper. I want to know how you would make these sites better. What features are they missing that you really want to see. What inherent flaws do the sites have (other than how they are run. The Jark problem at dA does not need to be mentioned). And finally, in your opinion, what features would make the ultimate socialite?

Thanks in advance, guys. :(

Last Edit: Jan 13, 2008 18:23:01 GMT by Josh
This is my old account. This is my new account

Ryan

Ryan Avatar

Banned

November 2006
Most of these lack the user's participation in actually running the site. Not that they don't listen to their members, but they don't include them as much as they should. I like these sites, but I think the "ultimate" social site, would have the majority of its content submitted by its users. More user based, people like to get involved and see things work after they do something. That pretty much answers all three of your questions. :P

Josh

Josh Avatar

July 2009
How would one do that on a social site, though?

Ryan

Ryan Avatar

Banned

November 2006
jaj43123 said:
How would one do that on a social site, though?

Well, they can make a lot of sites to be more like Wikipedia. The community is in charge of writing articles, approving articles, etc.. In a lot of sites, the user doesn't have any say in the end.

Josh

Josh Avatar

July 2009
Look at the three sites I mentioned, entirely user supported. :P

Ryan

Ryan Avatar

Banned

November 2006
jaj43123 said:
Look at the three sites I mentioned, entirely user supported. :P

Not exactly. The users don't really have any say in how things work, not entirely.

Josh

Josh Avatar

July 2009
You were just saying that they need to be in control of the content. They are at those sites. :P

Ryan

Ryan Avatar

Banned

November 2006
jaj43123 said:
You were just saying that they need to be in control of the content. They are at those sites. :P

They aren't in control of what happens to that content.

Josh

Josh Avatar

July 2009
Well... what should they be in control of, specifically?

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Facebook's moved to allow users to be in more control of the content using Applications. If you knew how, you could create your own and do just about anything really.

Jay

Jay  Avatar
Random Avy Refresh To See Another One

50%

Dedicated Member

December 2007
Well i suggest you try another online community its easy and popular as for me you can do a school paper for this one well really i dont know what kind of work you got here but try to ummm observe this community

www.friendster.com

Last Edit: Jan 14, 2008 12:57:29 GMT by Jay
Click here to feed me a fruit!
Get your own at Dinomon!

Josh

Josh Avatar

July 2009
I don't have time to observe online communities and don't want to join a new one. I just need you to give me ideas centered around digg and deviantART.

Jay

Jay  Avatar
Random Avy Refresh To See Another One

50%

Dedicated Member

December 2007
uuuuhhhh okay..........
Click here to feed me a fruit!
Get your own at Dinomon!

newBookmarkLockedFalling