Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
www.goodgearguide.com.au/article/310984/survey_says_most_companies_won_t_deploy_windows_7

"Nearly six in 10 companies have no current plans to deploy Microsoft's latest operating system, Windows 7, due for release in October, according to a new survey.

Of 1,100 IT administrators who responded to the survey, 59.3 percent said they didn't have a plan to deploy Windows 7."
k

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
It's tough for companies to upgrade to a new OS like this. Not only do they have to pay for the OS (which could cost millions depending on the size of the company), they also have to worry about hardware upgrades (in a company like the one where I worked last summer where every single one of its 18,000 employees has one to two computers, that could cost a shitload), AND worry about software not being compatible.

For example, I believe IE6 is unsupported by Windows 7 (and should be). The company I worked for had a system produced by Oracle for ordering parts (there were millions of parts so a good database was needed and this database was fantastic), keeping track of what is in stock, finding out what needs to be ordered, etc. that was only compatible with IE6. I tried it on IE7 and it didn't work one bit. It worked in Fx 2 but I couldn't use certain necessary features so it was essentially crippled.

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Doesn't surprise me. The company I'm and intern for is just NOW upgrading to Vista. And even then very slowly... mainly because it's still causing them numerous issues. For example, there's only one set of print drivers compatible with Windows Server 2008 (I think it is), Vista, and XP. Oh, and best part? It doesn't support 3/4 of the features the employees are used to, such as automatic stapling. So, yeah, it's an insane fail and I predict that's the same reason for this.

newfieldgrafix
I must say, our transition to Vista was relatively problem free. The only problems I encountered, were the scanner drivers, but it was more of a reason to upgrade to newer ones. The client end is still on XP, simply because the clients find Vista "scary"...
Mind you, this is from a company that has SIMM RAM sticks locked away in a "secret" room of computers that are networked with BNC...
..Don't know why...

newBookmarkLockedFalling