Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

newfieldgrafix
OK, since SZ do a pretty neat requests section - well managed and all - I thought I'd ask your opinions on how to do it successfully.

I do Flash work here and there, and I'm getting a few specific requests, usually in the form of "ooh, do me one please". So I added a Requests section and as of yet none (only been there for an hour though).

What kind of rules would be recommended and such?

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
SZ's rules, at least for coding, are founded based on lots of years of experience. More or less, I looked at other rules that sites like SSD, SoCal, ZD, and PBS had at the time and took them as inspiration for my own rules set. After that, it's been lots of tweaking over the years.

The only major thing I can suggest though is making it so it's not too time consuming. For example, that's why we don't allow Info Center Remodel requests. They take a LONG time unfortunately. You can either ban certain types of requests to fix this, OR you can just limit the number of requests in a certain timeframe.

newfieldgrafix
Wow, great tips, thanks. I don't mind time consumption, I just hate wasting time. I've kinda been looking for similar policies on the Interweb, but a lot (understandingly) are pretty strict, but I like a challenge. You learn stuff AND get satisfaction of helping others - what could be better?

Ages ago, I looked everywhere for a certain type of Flash program, it didn't exist - so I sat down with MX and looked stupid in seconds! - I know a thing or too now though ;)

Curious; how come SZ doesn't have any Flash?

Last Edit: Jul 22, 2009 15:20:56 GMT by newfieldgrafix

slip

slip Avatar
Chris spoils me!

Senior Studio Member

April 2006
Probably because there aren't too many designers here who dabble in flash.

newfieldgrafix
I do =O)

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
Are you talking ActionScript or design wise? I've looked at both aspects personally, but gave up. It didn't really seem... worth my time.

As for SZ... not many people here who work with Flash. :P

newfieldgrafix
Both, I had to learn in 12 minutes - and finished my first basic project by 20 minutes.

The design part is easy (I vector and animate all the time) but the AS, I'm no coder, I hate it. But I seem to be able to get by...

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
ActionScript -looked- very similar to JavaScript, so I'm sure I could catch on. :P I just hate animating things.

newfieldgrafix
That's my problem, I'm an animator, not a scripter...

But I can do AS, and WMP Skins (which I believe, is JS) with my eyes closed, but actual JavaScript, I FAIL...

It's weird, I know, but JS is something I can't do. VB is pretty, well; basic... I need to learn JS really...

newBookmarkLockedFalling