Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
"Malware, short for malicious software, is software designed to infiltrate or damage a computer system without the owner's informed consent. The expression is a general term used by computer professionals to mean a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or annoying software or program code."

Wikipedia.

It is malware. Its meant to annoy you or harm your computer. (forcing you to crash your browser).

newfieldgrafix
Period

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Simie Avatar
"Malware, short for malicious software, is software designed to infiltrate or damage a computer system without the owner's informed consent. The expression is a general term used by computer professionals to mean a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or annoying software or program code."

Wikipedia.

It is malware. Its meant to annoy you or harm your computer. (forcing you to crash your browser).

Smouch doesn't infiltrate your browser though. It's not harmful at all. The only thing that it does on that list is annoy and I have never considered malware to be software that annoys. The definition I have always worked with is software that is harmful to other software.

Btw, it doesn't force you to crash your browser. You can disable JS to get it to close. If you start getting the pop ups, just hit enter like 75 times and then disable it. It doesn't force you to crash it though.

Simie

Simie Avatar

ProScripter

May 2006
"The expression is a general term used by computer professionals to mean a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or annoying software or program code."

That sums up that site.

richardgary1223
It is Malware. xD Don't open it. EVER!!

newfieldgrafix
Meh, what goes around, comes around...

abZebras

abZebras Avatar

ProNation

June 2008
FFFFFFFUUUUUU

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
It can be considered MAlware. :P I just call it an annoyance though.

newfieldgrafix
I call it malicious primarily because some ISPs are assholes, They have a 10GB transfer limit every month and every 1GB (or part thereof) the customer goes over their limit, Bam £15 extra!

So if they're on 2GB and 1023MB and open that shit up, they might not close it in time to avoid going over their contracted usage...

I know it's an extreme example, but it works...

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Jul 26, 2009 9:58:49 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
I call it malicious primarily because some ISPs are assholes, They have a 10GB transfer limit every month and every 1GB (or part thereof) the customer goes over their limit, Bam £15 extra!

So if they're on 2GB and 1023MB and open that shit up, they might not close it in time to avoid going over their contracted usage...

I know it's an extreme example, but it works...

What are you even talking about? I just checked and Smouch is about 7MB total. Even if you do have a cap (I know I do. It's 280GB though, if I am not mistaken :P), 7MB isn't going to push you over unless you are right at the edge...

newfieldgrafix
7MB isn't going to push you over unless you are right at the edge...
And if you are..?

Chris

Chris Avatar

Head Coder

June 2005
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Jul 26, 2009 18:17:10 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
7MB isn't going to push you over unless you are right at the edge...
And if you are..?

Then visiting any other website probably would as well. :P

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Chris Avatar
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Jul 26, 2009 18:17:10 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
And if you are..?

Then visiting any other website probably would as well. :P

Exactly. Each page of SZ is roughly 1MB total. So just to get to this thread you would have to open up the homepage, the convention center, and then possibly two clicks (if you went to the first page before the second) to get to here. That's more than 4MB right there. If 7MB is gonna push you over, turn off your computer now. It's that simple.

EDIT: v1 is 1MB. Not sure about the others. :P

Last Edit: Jul 27, 2009 2:20:08 GMT by Josh

newfieldgrafix
But, still you see my point?

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
newfieldgrafix Avatar
Jul 27, 2009 4:11:38 GMT @newfieldgrafix said:
But, still you see my point?

No, I do not. If you are that close to going over (Within 7MB) and don't want to invoke an extra charge... get off the net. Seriously... all it's going to take is a few page views and bam... overage charge.

newBookmarkLockedFalling