Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Anyone hear an audiophile, or an aspiring one (like me)? If you don't know, an audiophile is basically someone who is obsessed with speakers and sound equipment. This summer, I put in just under 40 hours building my own pair of monster speakers and spent about $1000 (including my amp and equalizer). I'll post pictures if anyone is interested. But yeah, I LOVE speakers and music and all that jazz. I was wondering if anyone else shared my love for these kinds of things.

What's great is that I regularly play music loud enough to shake my walls until 3 or 4 in the morning. My parents have basically adjusted to it which is awesome. I mean, seriously, when your mom walks in at 12:30 and has to shout, "Goodnight," just so you can hear her, you know the speakers are "too" loud. I love it. :D

Edit: Awesome Freudian slip/pun. I said, "Anyone hear," instead of, "Anyone here." That's awesome. I'm not even gonna fix it.

Last Edit: Aug 19, 2009 7:31:49 GMT by Lucifer

tunescool

tunescool Avatar

August 2006

i used to be a car stereo installer. building enclosures and custom amp racks were what i got up for in the morning. theres nothing like driving in your car while earth rumbling bass numbs your body. i built an enclosure(team effort) in a car that took first place in a national car stereo competition, professional class.
but remember to be polite and turn your system down at a stoplight.
Forum By Tunes/A General Forum - Movie Preview Site - Self Improvement Blog
Pregnancy Blog - SEO Nook - Social Media/Backlinks/Content/SEO Packages

Josh

Josh Avatar
Where were you when Reach fell?

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
My uncle is one. He spent $1800 last year replacing all of the speaker wire in the house with gold wire. He's got speakers placed exactly where they need to be for optimal surround sound. He did this by forcing his wife to help him move their dinner table into another room. He also has a pair of ~$1500 headphones which he paid about $800 for. They are absolutely amazing for listening to classical music, if I do say so myself.

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
tunescool Avatar
i used to be a car stereo installer. building enclosures and custom amp racks were what i got up for in the morning. theres nothing like driving in your car while earth rumbling bass numbs your body. i built an enclosure(team effort) in a car that took first place in a national car stereo competition, professional class.
but remember to be polite and turn your system down at a stoplight.

Any information on that online? Like pictures or whatnot? I'd like to see it. It sounds pretty sweet.

Honestly, I've never been one for car stereos. As long as it's loud and crisp, I'm fine. I like home audio. When you can FEEL every bass drum kick on a double-bass pedal at 200 BPM, you KNOW you've got some badass speakers.

Josh: What kind of headphones are they?

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
No idea. His daughter's birthday is tomorrow so I might be over there for a party this weekend. I'll have a looksie then. I know he says it's what Bose headphones should be. (he has a hatred of Bose equipment and calls it overpriced, low quality shit. I have to agree)

tunescool

tunescool Avatar

August 2006
Lucifer Avatar

Any information on that online? Like pictures or whatnot? I'd like to see it. It sounds pretty sweet.

that was in 1993, the company is no longer in business, it wasnt like a big business with a building the size of an airport like the shows on tv. we were never online. pictures do exist but i dont talk to my step dad whom i worked for anymore.

it was a BMW and i found some holes in steel up around the reardeck in the trunk and i was like, this might work out well. so i bolted the box to the car, adding to the experience of the bass response
Forum By Tunes/A General Forum - Movie Preview Site - Self Improvement Blog
Pregnancy Blog - SEO Nook - Social Media/Backlinks/Content/SEO Packages

Andrew McGivery

Andrew McGivery Avatar
Formerly Fredy

Legendary Studio Member

Male

September 2005
I wish I had the kind of money I would need to have hte kind of speakers I want :P

my speakers really suck right now :( lol

@luci: Pics plz? :P
k

abZebras

abZebras Avatar

ProNation

June 2008
That's quite a nice set up.

I have no money, So I'm kinda running on some $30 headphones, and I never use my speakers.
But as for a love for music, I've got that :)

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Josh Avatar
No idea. His daughter's birthday is tomorrow so I might be over there for a party this weekend. I'll have a looksie then. I know he says it's what Bose headphones should be. (he has a hatred of Bose equipment and calls it overpriced, low quality shit. I have to agree)

Bose? Overpriced? Definitely. Low-quality? I think not. They make some amazing sounding stuff, especially for home theater kinds of things. I've only ever really listened to one pair of headphones by them and I didn't particularly like them due to the added bass. Made them sound kind of muddy. That might've also been due to my buddy having his iPod EQ set to something more bassy.

Fredy: Yeah, I'll get some pictures up soon.

Last Edit: Aug 19, 2009 23:34:39 GMT by Lucifer

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
zOMG dubble pst!!!!!!

Here's probably the best picture I've got. My room is a total mess and this picture was taken before I got my equalizer, but otherwise, it's my speakers and my amp. My room has been completely reorganized since this and now my speakers are more adequately placed. These suckers are literally over 4 feet tall.

Aw yeah.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Lucifer Avatar
Josh Avatar

Bose? Overpriced? Definitely. Low-quality? I think not. They make some amazing sounding stuff, especially for home theater kinds of things. I've only ever really listened to one pair of headphones by them and I didn't particularly like them due to the added bass. Made them sound kind of muddy. That might've also been due to my buddy having his iPod EQ set to something more bassy.

Fredy: Yeah, I'll get some pictures up soon.

We were listening to vinyl and I told him the exact same thing - that I had never thought Bose were that bad. So he pulled out a pair of Bose headphones he said cost him $400 and the quality was horrendous compared to the $1500 headphones he had. And I've never been a fan of their HES either. I much prefer the cheaper Yamaha systems with new speaker wire. I've put three Yamaha sets together like that. The actual set cost anywhere between $300-$400 for a receiver, 7 speakers (each set I have gotten has come with two speakers for each front quadrant rather than one for each), the sub, and all the necessary wires. You pay $40 for the new wire and you have a system which sounds damn near identical to the $800-$1000 Bose system you sat there listening to at Best Buy or whatever.

Personally, I have 5 pairs of headphones/earbuds.

These are for while I am at my computer mostly. They have excellent sound quality and distribute 5.1 Dolby sound so well that you would think you were actually in a 5.1 setup.

I bought these three years ago. I abandoned them in October for the Audio Technica's above. These had decent sound quality but were much too small for my ears and weren't noise canceling. I got rid of them mostly due to the discomfort they caused from being too small.

I got these a few weeks ago. They're Sennheiser's. Pretty much the best headphones you can buy without going broke. The sound is unmatched in earbuds I have listened to. The only problem is that they double as earplugs. You can't hear anything outside of the music when you have them on except for things going on in your own body and the earbuds wiggling slightly inside your ears. I only use these when reading since they block everything out.

These I got for five whole dollars in the same order I got the Sennheiser's for. These are now my main earbuds. They sound pretty good and don't have the earplug problem that the Sennheiser's do. Only downside is that the right one fits in snugly while the left one feels like it is going to fall out.

I chose the above two sets over these. Need I say more? :P

EDIT:
These are my computer speakers. Not bad, not great. Work just fine for what I need them for though and were only $18 when I bought them too.

Last Edit: Aug 20, 2009 1:11:52 GMT by Josh

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
Speaker wire DEFINITELY makes a difference. It will improve your tone and quality a lot if you get the right stuff. And as far as headphones go, I've never really gotten into them. The ones that come with the Zune are the best I've personally used (strange, I know). So much so that after my original pair broke, I dished out the $40 for another pair. I mean, I like them better than my buddy's pair of $100 Bose in-ear headphones. I've been told the Sennheiser headphones are some of the best, though (as far as in-ear go, anyway). A buddy of mine just picked up a pair the other day. I have yet to try them out myself.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
Lucifer Avatar
Speaker wire DEFINITELY makes a difference. It will improve your tone and quality a lot if you get the right stuff. And as far as headphones go, I've never really gotten into them. The ones that come with the Zune are the best I've personally used (strange, I know). So much so that after my original pair broke, I dished out the $40 for another pair. I mean, I like them better than my buddy's pair of $100 Bose in-ear headphones. I've been told the Sennheiser headphones are some of the best, though (as far as in-ear go, anyway). A buddy of mine just picked up a pair the other day. I have yet to try them out myself.

Sennheiser is the best of any type of headphone without you dishing out a few grand. Period. There is nothing better. Sennheiser puts Bose to shame (and again, is generally cheaper).

But yeah, if you want a pair to try out, that pair I got is definitely the pair to get. Amazing sound quality (like I said, I've never heard better in earbuds before and my uncle has taken me to audiophile expos before where I just went from stand to stand and plugged headphones into my iPod and listened for 30 seconds) and they cost like $22 after shipping.

EDIT: Yeah. Changing wiretypes is definitely worth it. Get a thicker wire and get a more conductive metal. My uncle paid a high premium to switch his wires out with gold and it was definitely worth it. There is absolutely no noise at all. If you can afford gold wiring, get it.

Last Edit: Aug 20, 2009 1:22:50 GMT by Josh

Lucifer

Lucifer Avatar

Mythical Studio Member

Eunuch

August 2005
I will definitely check those out as soon as I get some money to spend. I mean, I love my Zune ones, but who says I can't have 2 pairs? Especially if these ones are better.

Josh

Josh Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

May 2008
The Zune earbuds are decent. Definitely better than the iPod ones but both pairs that I bought a few weeks ago (The Sennheiser and Coby pairs) blow the Zune pair out of the water. And you paid $40 for them? I paid $30 for both of mine. :P

Btw, you posted before I edited this in. lol

EDIT: Yeah. Changing wiretypes is definitely worth it. Get a thicker wire and get a more conductive metal. My uncle paid a high premium to switch his wires out with gold and it was definitely worth it. There is absolutely no noise at all. If you can afford gold wiring, get it.

newBookmarkLockedFalling