Please login or register. Welcome to the Studio, guest!

Quick Links:

newBookmarkLockedFalling

Grace Elaine [Epic Century]

Grace Elaine [Epic Century] Avatar
It's easy to see with out Looking too far that not much is really sacred

February 2008
In previous projects I've used brushed metal pretty heavily. Before I left I had been asked about how I did it in a PM, and never really got around to it. This is an easy tutorial that everyone can put their own technique in to.

The first thing you want to do is create a canvas, or select the area on an existing one that you want to texture. For some this may be a logo, a banner, a back ground. What you're working with will directly determine the steps you must take to select the area this will be applied to.

Once you've gotten started the first thing you're going to want to do is go to filter>noise>add noise

Once the noise window opens up you'll want to set up your settings how I have mine. The distribution should be set to Gausian, this will best simulate the random scratching that occurs when metal is brushed. Checking Monochromatic will eliminate the goofy colours. The amount of noise you add is completely up to you, all though I like to keep a lower percentage.

Once you've done that, you'll end up with something similar to the photo below. You may have noticed I've used a gradient in this image. The background you use may vary depending on the effect you're looking for.

The next step you're going to take is to transform the noise in to brush marks. You'll want to go to Filter>Blur>Motion Blur

When the dialog window comes up there's two settings you can change: Angle, and Distance. How you set these is completely up to you.

Your resulting texture will end up looking something like the image below.

Hopefully this helps some people out. If you're interested in how this can be used, here's an example of a project I'm currently working on.

Hope this helps some people,

-Grace

newfieldgrafix
You know, that is such a simple procedure, but probably so over looked. Nice.

Grace Elaine [Epic Century]

Grace Elaine [Epic Century] Avatar
It's easy to see with out Looking too far that not much is really sacred

February 2008
I used to whore the fuck out of this technique. It's still one of my favorites.

newfieldgrafix
Sometimes, the best, are the simplest...

Shadowblast

Shadowblast Avatar
Doesn't Actually Blast Shadows

Official Member

September 2009
Yes, i think that that technique is so commonly overlooked. Its just that nowadays its so easy to just go to google and look for your picture. Isn't it?

Hotshot

Hotshot Avatar

Legendary Studio Member

June 2008
Shadowblast Avatar
Yes, i think that that technique is so commonly overlooked. Its just that nowadays its so easy to just go to google and look for your picture. Isn't it?

If your using the picture for personal use such as a background for your desktop, yes. If your using the image you find on google in an image of your own its technically ripping. So no its not easier. Unless your a ripping noob.

Shadowblast

Shadowblast Avatar
Doesn't Actually Blast Shadows

Official Member

September 2009
I know, I hate rippers. Grrr.... I have had my worked so many times.

newBookmarkLockedFalling